Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby Lorric » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:00 pm

Brother Pi will pay for this. Somehow, he has managed to convince Xiahou Yuan and his archer army to turn against me, even with his own brother, Dun, right there next to him. The brothers are now crossing blades outside Xin Ye, mirroring my struggle with my own brother.

I've given the order. Wan and Xu Chang will fall before me. I have entrusted the assault on Wan to my other followers, while I personally lead the charge on Xu Chang. It's time to pay the piper, dear brother.

Family first.

-----

It's a coincidence, but it's funny how me getting Xu Huang seemed to spark Cao Pi's first attack on me, and now my first attack occurs right on losing Xiahou Yuan, my first officer loss. I'm also going after Jiang Ling, as Liu Bei and Liu Zhang have begun to squabble down there.

Speaking of family, I did get Cao Yu off Cao Pi. A first step to reuniting the Cao family. I imagine he'll end up taking over when Cao Zhang dies.
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:00 pm

So, I was messing around with the game, and I got Lu Bu in a debate. It might be the first time I've had that. This was X Series intelligent Lu Bu, so I crushed Wang Shuang with 18 INT in a perfect victory. The topic was fact, and every dialogue was basically Lu Bu just ordering the guy to shut up and join him. Lines like "Just shut up and accept what I say." and "If my words won't convince you, maybe my sword will!" Since he won every exchange, it was especially amusing, just shouting at the guy until he caved in. It was hilarious! :lol:
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Death » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Lorric wrote:I saw Gongsun Gong get destroyed by the Wuwan. What surprised me was I saw one Wuwan Officer do a support attack for another. I didn't expect that. So I updated my pairs of custom tribal officers to like each other. I think that's what makes them support each other.

Quick note about this, if they both were just "Wuwan Officer" and not the actual chief, the officers would literally be the same character, with the same clan of Wuwan Officer set, which is why they support each other (the Chief has it's own clan that is different from the officers) I don't think any of the tribesmen have any likes or dislikes set in the scenarios.

Lorric wrote:So, I was messing around with the game, and I got Lu Bu in a debate. It might be the first time I've had that. This was X Series intelligent Lu Bu, so I crushed Wang Shuang with 18 INT in a perfect victory. The topic was fact, and every dialogue was basically Lu Bu just ordering the guy to shut up and join him. Lines like "Just shut up and accept what I say." and "If my words won't convince you, maybe my sword will!" Since he won every exchange, it was especially amusing, just shouting at the guy until he caved in. It was hilarious! :lol:

I leave debates off mostly, but it's interesting that Zhang Fei and Lu Bu are the only 2 that actually have unique lines in debates for most interactions, and those two are the ones that normally shouldn't be anywhere near debates :mrgreen:
Death
Changshi

Unread postby Lorric » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Had a huge upset in one of my AI onlies. It was the second running of 200 X (none of my custom officers involved), the first was won by Cao Cao, so he had beginner stats in the second run while everyone else had advanced.

Ma Teng won. It's his first win in a historical based scenario. He wasn't able to conquer all of China, but with a high of 29 cities, I called it as a win for him in 267 I think. He'd done enough, he would surely have won if the officers weren't all dying. He was facing Yuan Shao and Sun Quan who had 6 and 8 cities respectively and were fighting each other as well as Ma Teng. So he had 2X the cities of both combined, one more officer than both combined, and crucially, 4X the troops of both combined with about 1,250,000. If the officers had been in the game, he would surely have overwhelmed both opponents, he had grown steadily throughout. Just ran out of time to finish the job.

Death wrote:
Lorric wrote:I saw Gongsun Gong get destroyed by the Wuwan. What surprised me was I saw one Wuwan Officer do a support attack for another. I didn't expect that. So I updated my pairs of custom tribal officers to like each other. I think that's what makes them support each other.

Quick note about this, if they both were just "Wuwan Officer" and not the actual chief, the officers would literally be the same character, with the same clan of Wuwan Officer set, which is why they support each other (the Chief has it's own clan that is different from the officers) I don't think any of the tribesmen have any likes or dislikes set in the scenarios.

Lorric wrote:So, I was messing around with the game, and I got Lu Bu in a debate. It might be the first time I've had that. This was X Series intelligent Lu Bu, so I crushed Wang Shuang with 18 INT in a perfect victory. The topic was fact, and every dialogue was basically Lu Bu just ordering the guy to shut up and join him. Lines like "Just shut up and accept what I say." and "If my words won't convince you, maybe my sword will!" Since he won every exchange, it was especially amusing, just shouting at the guy until he caved in. It was hilarious! :lol:

I leave debates off mostly, but it's interesting that Zhang Fei and Lu Bu are the only 2 that actually have unique lines in debates for most interactions, and those two are the ones that normally shouldn't be anywhere near debates :mrgreen:

Thanks for that info. I think I like the idea of keeping those likes set though, since it's something that can happen on the map even though I do have the distinct Chief and Officer. It was two officers that did it. These officers have differing stats. I hadn't paid attention until I came up with the idea, the stats I have for my officers are taken from pictures of these officers uploaded by Foosoomin somewhere in this thread. It's hard to tell what 4 of the 5 stats are since they won't show, but INT does vary (and is usually higher than the stats on my officers) and the ATK and DEF stats on the units change.

I managed to get Lu Bu into some more debates and grabbed some quotes:

Opening: "When it comes to raising my voice, no-one is my match.”

Subject is Logic.

“You looking for trouble? I’ll shut that mouth of yours!”
“I’m talking about logic and reason, pure and simple.”
“Just admit I’m right!”

Subject is Time:

“Look around you! I am a hero of the times!”
“If you say another word, I’ll cut you down!”

Others:

Bellow: “Shut up and listen to me!”
Frenzy: “Curse you…!” or “Mmmmph…!”
Angry: “Curse you! You’ve made me mad now!”
Unleash Reckless: “Aaaaarrggghhh!”
Push On: “There is no way one such as you can beat me!”
Lose: “I will not concede!”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

That last one is more funny than it should be with how he says it and then gets dumped off the platform! :mrgreen:
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:09 pm

I've returned to my campaign. Just as we're in the twenties now, so too is Cao Zhang now in the twenties. The sun has risen on a new decade, but the sun will soon set for Brother Pi. This is the army led personally by me that will make that happen:

Cao Pi is holed up in Luo Yang:

But look at those numbers! is probably what you're thinking. How can such a comparitively small army possibly win against that? Well...

What you're looking at is the ultimate paper tiger. In truth, I don't know if this army will be enough, even if it's nearly all swords, that's a hell of a lot of swords. And he has 17 officers, so they can come out in large numbers and the INT officers may cause problems. And Hu Lao Gate will be difficult to get through. He does have enough armaments for the men in Hu Lao Gate though, so I'm hoping officers come out to fight.

This should be fun! :)

If I win here, I'll have 9 cities, and hopefully can finally begin to spread through the map and win this campaign. I've continued to bleed the other forces of their officers, I have 83 now.
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:29 am

Well Brother Pi still holds Luo Yang, not because I lost but simply because that's it for today. We're up to 220/8/21 and it's been this constant bloodbath with 20+ units in the field and thousands and thousands of deaths every turn. Easily the largest battle I've ever had, with me sending in more units over time and the recruiting drive continuing throughout at Luo Yang, with me unable to get next to the city to slow it down because of the enormous mass of enemy units. But I've finally got some control now, there's about 20K enemy troops still in the field and 11K in the city. It was crazy, strategies firing off all over the place, fireballs ripping through my packed units. Must have been about 200,000 deaths outside Luo Yang.
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:25 pm

It's over, brother.

One solid year of carnage finally brings me victory over my brother. Jia Kui and Cao Hong are holed up in the other gate. Normally I’d conquer it to make sure I don’t miss out on those two, but a year of solid battle has brought us to the limits of food and I’m concerned about loyalty with some of these guys having been in the field for a solid year. I personally deliver the final blow:

Brother Pi knows his place well now.

Joined at the first time of asking. Perfect expression for this situation! :P :lol:
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 am

I have practically created a new scenario. I’ve kept a save of the map at the start, if anyone wants to play, I’ll upload it. I have added many of my custom officers on top of the 194 X scenario, as follows:

Shi Xie, I’ve decided to put all the Shis (10) in Ling Ling, the other 8 guys in Gui Yang. Those are: Dan Meng, Gan Li, Huan Fa, Huan Lin, Huan Zie, Pan Miao, Pan Xin, Zhang Min.

Nanman faction in Yun Nan: Liu Zhou, Nanman Chief, Nanman Officer, Tu An, Xi Ni.

Liu Yao: Xue Li and Yu Mi

Lu Bu gets 16 non-X guys: Chang Xi, Cheng Lian, Lady Yan, Li Feng, Li Hei, Liu He, Mao Hui, Qin Yi, Wang Kai, Wei Yue, Wu Dun, Xu Si, Xu Xi, Xue Lan, Yin Li, Zhang Chao.

Yuan Shu, 11 officers. Ru Nan: Chang Nu, Li Tiao, Liu Pi, Yu Fuluo, Zhang Rao
Shou Chun: Hui Qu, Lady Feng, Jin Shang, Xun Zheng, Zhang Cheng, Zhou Shang

Li Jue gets the 10 non-X guys: An Ding: Li Meng and Wang Fang.
Chang An: Cui Yong, Duan Wei, Ma Midi, Wang Zifu, Wu Xi, Yang Ding, Yang Mi, Zuo Ling.

Yuan Shao gets the non-X guys, that’s 15 people. As follows:

Nan Pi – Hu Chuquan, Nanlou, Supuyan, Xin Ming, Ying Shao
Ping Yuan – Cen Bi
Ye – Gao Fan, Han Fan, Han Heng, Ma Yan, Shen Rong, Yin Kai, Yin Kui, Yuan Chunqing,
Zhang Yi

Wan is run by my officer with 1 for all stats, so that everyone else can have advanced resources. You start as 1,1,1 1,1, but you can easily leave 1,1,1 1,1 to the AI and choose to take over who you want to play as.

Here’s the starting map:

Some of the big changes of what starting forces look like. In 194 X, Li Jue has the most troops. With the X Series giving him another 10 officers and me giving him another 10 more, this is what he looks like:

It seems the forum is just not quite big enough to display city information, thankfully we have my map.

Yuan Shao, 54 officers. It seems I missed grabbing a shot for this one, but he has 121,000 troops and 3 cities.

Yuan Shu, plenty of troops and 38 officers:

Lu Bu has 29 officers now, the same as Cao Cao. I didn’t think I needed to take a picture when he’s only one city.

The new Shi Xie faction looks solid:

And finally, we have the new Nanman faction. Really, it’s just because I don’t think you should be able to take that area without a fight:

How it can have 2 districts with 1 city I don't know.

I have now let the AI only run for 10 years. Here’s the map:

Yuan Shao is a juggernaut! And yes, Yuan Shao, it’s unusual for him to still be alive at this point, but he’s still alive:

He’s done really well, more than doubling his starting officer count and having the most cities, troops and officers. He has personally eliminated Kong Rong, Zhang Yan, Lu Bu, Tao Qian (who is set up to be taken over by Liu Bei in X) and Gongsun Du. He basically eliminated Zan as well, but he was attacking Zan's last city with 4 units and at the same time Du was attacking with 1, and that 1 put the final nail in Zan's coffin. Shao of course then immediately took it from Du. He still has his alliance with Cao Cao, so all his weight is now coming down on the South onto Sun Ce.

Here's how his rival, Cao Cao, is looking:

I predict Cao Cao will still win in the end. He's badly curtailing Yuan Shao's ability to expand, and I expect Yuan Shao will lose a decent number of his officers in the coming successions and Yuan officer die offs. Still, he might surprise me and this base he has right now might be enough to win. He may also pile up a lot of resources as it moves through the supply chain to the South, giving him an advantage when the two come to blows. Certainly if he smashes Sun Ce and Yuan Shu, that will give him access to a lot of extra officers.

Li Jue has done quite well:

Despite his shortcomings as a ruler, he’s managed to nearly double his starting officer count. He had 6 cities at one point and destroyed Ma Teng. But he’s losing his war with Cao Cao.

The same can't be said for Yuan Shu. He did have 4 cities early on, but is down to 1, and hasn't managed to increase his officer count:

Shi Xie has done well, carving out a nice little kingdom down there in the South. Destroyed Zhang Xian and up to 5 cities, plenty of troops, nearly double starting officers, and bagged himself a strategist, who's also excellent at recruiting:

I'm sure a player could do well with this faction and build a force to go up against the big two in the North (who remember would be allied against you.)

Shout out to Zhang Lu, still there, holding Xiang Yang! He took it from Liu Biao and took advantage of Li Jue and Ma Teng destroying each other to have 3 cities for a few years.

Wang Lang will be known as the betrayer. He broke both his alliances and conquered both factions. He's hanging on, maybe he'll outlast Sun Ce, before becoming Yuan Shao's next victim.

The changes I made have greatly altered the balance of this map, at least on the evidence of this first run.
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Cao Cao prevailed as I expected. By the time Yuan Tan had conquered the 4 Southern cities and broken the alliance, Cao Cao had conquered everything else but Yun Nan. Tan put up a good fight though, even very briefly getting it level at 21 cities each.

It took 6 or 7 years for Tan to destroy Sun Ce. It wasn't for lack of trying, it's insane how much was pumped into attacking Jian Ye, not just numbers, but top officers with enormous units. But he just destroyed it all as it came while fighting Wang Lang at the same time. In the end it was an assault on Wang Lang that left him open. He took Wu, Yuan Tan took Jian Ye, and Wang Lang actually finished off Sun Ce at Wu.
Lorric
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:26 am

The second run despite Cao Cao having beginner resources was a crushing victory for Cao Cao. Because it took Yuan Shao 14 years to defeat Gongsun Zan. Cao Cao destroyed Sun Ce faster. He hasn't won yet, but it's inevitable, he has 25 cities and is crushing everyone. Other things happened differently. Yuan Shu was destroyed in just 3 years. Ma Teng formed an alliance with Zhang Lu, and together, they beat Li Jue. They also resisted Cao Cao quite well together for a few years. Shi Xie did better this time, getting up to 7 cities.

The problem was Lu Bu. He is set to trusted with Yuan Shao in X, so can potentially form an alliance with him. Despite this, in the first game, rather than go for his rival, Cao Cao, he went straight for Yuan Shao. In the first game, Shao shrugged him off and eventually destroyed him. In the second game, he went straight for Yuan Shao again, even with the fact Cao Cao should have been ripe for conquest this time with beginner resources only, and this time did enough damage to mess Shao up enough that he couldn't destroy Kong Rong quickly like he did last time, I think it took him until 200 to destroy Kong Rong this time. Gongsun Zan also destroyed Gongsun Du this time, while last time he couldn't. And also it was Cao Cao who took out Lu Bu this time, coming in for the easy kill after Lu Bu wore himself out on Shao. He also did the same thing to Li Jue after Ma Teng and Zhang Lu did all the work getting him down to his last city.

I thought your diplomatic relations effected who gets attacked, but not here it seems, Lu Bu doesn't care about Cao Cao, he wants Yuan Shao!
Lorric
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms