Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby foosoomin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:10 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:There is this one amazing dude from Late Wei and Early Jin that should be in these games, but you've probably never heard of him. 8-)

Please enlighten us, then
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby v4lkyr14 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Aygor wrote:
v4lkyr14 wrote:umm is that PUK, an upgraded version of rotk 11?

Yes, it is an expansion to the game, here is the steam link (Japanese or Chinese only!): https://store.steampowered.com/app/6280 ... er_Up_Kit/

It adds several features to the base game. There are more buildings and some of the base ones can be upgraded; the tech tree has been expanded; it adds a skill tree that allows you to increase stats, aptitude and teach skills to your officers. Furthermore you can edit historical officers and have an in game editor that allows you to make several changes during the campaign.
That's it as far as I can remember, maybe a few scenarios where also added.

:shock: :shock: :shock: oh my oh my its sounds interesting. btw you said that theres fan english translation, do you have any link of it ? :D

v4lkyr14 wrote:Master Aygor

Aygor is fine, no need to call me -or anyone- master :wink:

I will keep it this way Master Aygor since I am a newbie here, and also remind me back there when I was a part of that rotk facebook group, we call like Lord, Master, or Brother to each other.
I believe that man can prevail over destiny
v4lkyr14
Apprentice

Unread postby Aygor » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:49 am

v4lkyr14 wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: oh my oh my its sounds interesting. btw you said that theres fan english translation, do you have any link of it ? :D

Here (http://kongming.net/11/english/) you can find a collection of fan translations. I used Cao Shuang's and it worked perfectly.
Here (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23889&hilit=lezard) is a more recent translation by Lezard.

Both translations are made for the old CD version however, not for the Steam release.

If you get the Steam release, you can get a partial translation if you substitute the scenario files of the game with those of the translation packs (even though you can also re download things with Steam, you may want to keep a backup). Keep in mind, with this solution the menus are not going to be translated, but the small descriptive message on the bottom of the screen will.
If you are already familiar with the game -and don't mind the inconvenience- you will be able to play.

I used Lezard's on Steam as I find the small messages are clearer in his translation.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby v4lkyr14 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:10 am

Aygor wrote:
Both translations are made for the old CD version however, not for the Steam release.

If you get the Steam release,....

oh :shock: :shock: what do you mean? Master Aygor :shock: . The one I got here its already translated and umm I cant find any steam related things here. :shock:
I believe that man can prevail over destiny
v4lkyr14
Apprentice

Unread postby Aygor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 am

v4lkyr14 wrote:
Aygor wrote:

If you get the Steam release,....

oh :shock: :shock: what do you mean? Master Aygor :shock: . The one I got here its already translated and umm I cant find any steam related things here. :shock:

Rotk XI is available in English, both on PS2 and PC. The expansion pack (PUK) however is not, and was only available for the Chinese and Japanese PC versions of the game.
So to play the PUK, you need to have the Japanese/Chinese base game and get the expansion. This is why you would need a fan translation.

Steam is an online game distributor where you can buy PC games (https://store.steampowered.com/).
Rotk XI + PUK (Japanese/Chinese) is available there (https://store.steampowered.com/app/6280 ... er_Up_Kit/).
I kept mentioning this as it is, to my knowledge, the fastest and easiest way to get the game on PC nowadays.

The fan translations won't work on the game from Steam, so the game menus will remain in Chinese/Japanese.
If you will want to give it a try with Steam, you can get a partial translation the way I mentioned in my previous post.
分久必合,合久必分
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Mick7 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:51 am

So, I've played through most scenarios with most rulers etc. and just tried one I found interesting. I started with Liu Yu 189 (I found the "only for experienced players" warning intriguing) and was able to, through numerous, brief ceasefire agreements, sneak a cavalry unit with 1,000 troops into Xu Chang. I employed the wealth of administrative talent there (Xun Yu, Zhong Yao, Chen Qun, Guo Jia), and have taken Liu Yu's relative pedestrian force into something semi-respectable. I immediately gave up Xu Chang, as there was no way to actually hold it when the ceasefires expired, and am consolidating Ji. I am wondering A) if anyone has any advice on how to proceed, as militarily, aside from finding Xu Zhu in Xu Chang, I am much weaker than my neighbors, and still at quite a disadvantage. And B) What interesting, creative scenarios has anyone found for those that have played through most of the more common, popular ones? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Mick7
Apprentice

Unread postby Death » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:12 am

Mick7 wrote:So, I've played through most scenarios with most rulers etc. and just tried one I found interesting. I started with Liu Yu 189 (I found the "only for experienced players" warning intriguing) and was able to, through numerous, brief ceasefire agreements, sneak a cavalry unit with 1,000 troops into Xu Chang. I employed the wealth of administrative talent there (Xun Yu, Zhong Yao, Chen Qun, Guo Jia), and have taken Liu Yu's relative pedestrian force into something semi-respectable. I immediately gave up Xu Chang, as there was no way to actually hold it when the ceasefires expired, and am consolidating Ji. I am wondering A) if anyone has any advice on how to proceed, as militarily, aside from finding Xu Zhu in Xu Chang, I am much weaker than my neighbors, and still at quite a disadvantage. And B) What interesting, creative scenarios has anyone found for those that have played through most of the more common, popular ones? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

The games where you start off as weaker forces are interesting in that it forces you to change your strategy based on what kinda officers you are able to get as well as find and taking advantages of things around you, so to me at least those kinda scenarios are the most fun as its always something different.
Anyways, as for what you should do in your current game, it depends on what cites you are based in. You should have most if not all of the northern part of the map I would think? Having your base in Ye and Ping Yuan will be useful as there's a port near both cities the AI will be forced to attack (and they love ports), so they won't get near your city. Then if you are in Chen Liu though, will be a little bit harder since that is always attacked from different directions. Either way, staying on the defensive and building up troops while keeping an eye on nearby cities for openings is the best (and probably most logical) way to go I think.

Also for other scenarios, I really enjoyed using Zetta's great randomimzer program that pretty much randomizes where officers are, who the leaders are and also stats as well (although I didn't randomize those), as that made sure every game was different.
Death
Scholar

Unread postby Mick7 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:23 am

Death wrote:
Mick7 wrote:So, I've played through most scenarios with most rulers etc. and just tried one I found interesting. I started with Liu Yu 189 (I found the "only for experienced players" warning intriguing) and was able to, through numerous, brief ceasefire agreements, sneak a cavalry unit with 1,000 troops into Xu Chang. I employed the wealth of administrative talent there (Xun Yu, Zhong Yao, Chen Qun, Guo Jia), and have taken Liu Yu's relative pedestrian force into something semi-respectable. I immediately gave up Xu Chang, as there was no way to actually hold it when the ceasefires expired, and am consolidating Ji. I am wondering A) if anyone has any advice on how to proceed, as militarily, aside from finding Xu Zhu in Xu Chang, I am much weaker than my neighbors, and still at quite a disadvantage. And B) What interesting, creative scenarios has anyone found for those that have played through most of the more common, popular ones? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

The games where you start off as weaker forces are interesting in that it forces you to change your strategy based on what kinda officers you are able to get as well as find and taking advantages of things around you, so to me at least those kinda scenarios are the most fun as its always something different.
Anyways, as for what you should do in your current game, it depends on what cites you are based in. You should have most if not all of the northern part of the map I would think? Having your base in Ye and Ping Yuan will be useful as there's a port near both cities the AI will be forced to attack (and they love ports), so they won't get near your city. Then if you are in Chen Liu though, will be a little bit harder since that is always attacked from different directions. Either way, staying on the defensive and building up troops while keeping an eye on nearby cities for openings is the best (and probably most logical) way to go I think.

Also for other scenarios, I really enjoyed using Zetta's great randomimzer program that pretty much randomizes where officers are, who the leaders are and also stats as well (although I didn't randomize those), as that made sure every game was different.

Agreed completely. Honestly, to a fault i find i lose interest once i truly have the upper hand. Something i am trying to overcome. But, no, I only have Ji at this point. Gongsun Zan has conquered Du, and Zhang Yang has somehow managed to recruit tens of thousands in a short time. Because of my officer pillage in Xu Chang, I am anyone but Yuan Shao's administrative equal in the north, but other than Xu Zhu, I don't have much to offer while trying to fend off Zhang Yang, and Gongsun Zan's cavalry onslaught. If Yuan Shao or Han Fu join the fray, I may not be able to hold out at all. I am trying to knock out Zhang Yang at Jin Yang, as he is the weakest, but any troops I send out, are immediately needed for defense.
Mick7
Apprentice

Unread postby Death » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:53 am

Mick7 wrote:Agreed completely. Honestly, to a fault i find i lose interest once i truly have the upper hand. Something i am trying to overcome. But, no, I only have Ji at this point. Gongsun Zan has conquered Du, and Zhang Yang has somehow managed to recruit tens of thousands in a short time. Because of my officer pillage in Xu Chang, I am anyone but Yuan Shao's administrative equal in the north, but other than Xu Zhu, I don't have much to offer while trying to fend off Zhang Yang, and Gongsun Zan's cavalry onslaught. If Yuan Shao or Han Fu join the fray, I may not be able to hold out at all. I am trying to knock out Zhang Yang at Jin Yang, as he is the weakest, but any troops I send out, are immediately needed for defense.

Same here with the losing interest towards the middle/end game. Usually if I'm in a longer game, the last few forces have a lot of cities or troops built up so its not super easy, but the setup to get there and having to fight off many forces over time and building up to that point is the most fun for me, not just steamrolling over everyone that is left :mrgreen:

Ah I see, I had though you had took out at least a couple of those. Yeah Zhang Yang and then Han Fu should probably be the next targets, then can probably get Yuan Shao next and save Gongsun Zan for last, or reverse those 2, and its ok to abandon some cities like you did with Xu Chang if you can't hold them or just aren't able to spend the resources to do so, so sounds like you are doing the right thing then. With patience, you can win :mrgreen:
Death
Scholar

Unread postby Aygor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 am

If you want another challenging campaign you can play Yang Feng in the "emperor escape" (or a similar name) scenario. I think it is a fan made scenario I found here on SoSZ. Yang Feng starts in Luoyang with no city HP, almost no troops, no port or gates. Li Jue is hostile and Cao Cao controls HuLao gate and has men garrisoned there ready to invade. Yang Feng has to protect the emperor counting on himself, Xu Huang, Dong Cheng and I believe that's it.

Honestly I think I probably finished one or two games on XI, I never care to go past the point I realize I'm going to win.

As Liu Yu I think I would wait for Gongsun Zan to fight and use that time to first capture Zhang Yang, then the Gongsuns. In the meantime, staying defensive should be feasible. Keep us posted with your progress=)
Last edited by Aygor on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
分久必合,合久必分
Aygor
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms