Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby cubelhor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm

After a couple years, I got back into my PS2 version of the game. I'm thinking about purchasing a Chinese/Japanese version of the game for PC so I can play it with the PUK. That being said, every website I've looked at (Amazon, eBay, Play-Asia) are all out of stock and any other reference to a different website I have found on this forum seems outdated. Does anyone know of a reliable website still selling those versions? Or do I just have to wait and see if Play-Asia ever gets them in stock again?
cubelhor
Tyro

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:55 am

cubelhor wrote:After a couple years, I got back into my PS2 version of the game. I'm thinking about purchasing a Chinese/Japanese version of the game for PC so I can play it with the PUK. That being said, every website I've looked at (Amazon, eBay, Play-Asia) are all out of stock and any other reference to a different website I have found on this forum seems outdated. Does anyone know of a reliable website still selling those versions? Or do I just have to wait and see if Play-Asia ever gets them in stock again?

Hello, I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the pc version would help you as I just have the PS game myself.
I see them available on Amazon Japan, both the game and the puk. Are you searching with the Japanese name?> 三國志11
Just search in Japanese and google translate as necessary. They are fairly cheap on Amazon Jp. even the new ones if you don't care for the used.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BD%E3%8 ... B0068DGSRM

Hope this helps, good luck!
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:40 am

cubelhor wrote:After a couple years, I got back into my PS2 version of the game. I'm thinking about purchasing a Chinese/Japanese version of the game for PC so I can play it with the PUK. That being said, every website I've looked at (Amazon, eBay, Play-Asia) are all out of stock and any other reference to a different website I have found on this forum seems outdated. Does anyone know of a reliable website still selling those versions? Or do I just have to wait and see if Play-Asia ever gets them in stock again?

Do you use Steam at all? There is a thread on the XIII board about how Koei is going to release (most likely just Japanese/Chinese versions of) all their old strategy games for their 35th anniversary on Steam. I don't know further details.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby cubelhor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:45 am

Sakae Wu wrote: Hello, I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the pc version would help you as I just have the PS game myself.
I see them available on Amazon Japan, both the game and the puk. Are you searching with the Japanese name?> 三國志11
Just search in Japanese and google translate as necessary. They are fairly cheap on Amazon Jp. even the new ones if you don't care for the used.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BD%E3%8 ... B0068DGSRM

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks! I checked Play-Asia and other similar cites but it never occurred to check other Amazons. In fact, I didn't even know Amazon was region-specific.

Zyzyfer wrote:Do you use Steam at all? There is a thread on the XIII board about how Koei is going to release (most likely just Japanese/Chinese versions of) all their old strategy games for their 35th anniversary on Steam. I don't know further details.

I do have a steam but haven't heard of this. I'll be sure to look into it. Thanks!
cubelhor
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm

So I may have found something new.

I haven't been able to test it, but a Japanese wiki seems to be saying that the Pedagogy skill has a secondary effect; that officers in a unit with that skill gain double experience points. :shock: This apparently doesn't apply to the officer who actually has the skill, though.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby cubelhor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 am

Trying to spark some conversation here, is there some kind of consensus on catapault platforms vs crossbow turrets? What do you all prefer? If I'm setting them up on the shore of the river to protect ports I like to use catapault platforms for their durability and damage since the drawback of the one square where they can't hit is negated. But have found myself using crossbow turrets more so I'm the midst of land battles. Just curious about other opinions/preferences.

Normally I don't use fortifications too often but I recently started a Four Kingdoms game as Jin and I intend to use no diplomacy or any "cheats/tips" with a gradual base expansion and utilizing fortifications to make up for the difference in officer quality compared to the other 3 kingdoms. It's not going to be the easiest but I'm looking forward to it
cubelhor
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 am

Gray Riders wrote:So I may have found something new.

I haven't been able to test it, but a Japanese wiki seems to be saying that the Pedagogy skill has a secondary effect; that officers in a unit with that skill gain double experience points. :shock: This apparently doesn't apply to the officer who actually has the skill, though.

It'll be interesting to hear the results if you do test it, that would probably kick Pedagogy up a tier.

cubelhor wrote:Just curious about other opinions/preferences.

Catapult platforms really require an extra square of range to justify the effort to unlock them. I could never get that to work, though. So yeah I basically only use them on coastlines.

At some point I got tired of the inconsistencies and just raised their HP dramatically so that they don't get ganged up on and wiped out quite so easily. But I actually don't bother with building the auto damage facilities anyway for the most part except as fodder, since they can kill steal.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Gray Riders wrote:So I may have found something new.

Nice find, I did test this out quickly this morning and it does seem to work. I just had 3 people together march out, copied their hex values, then did the same exact thing just switched one to have the skill and here's how the exp part looked:

Before: 64 04 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00
After: 64 07 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 00

Those were the only numbers that were different, although I never missed with the exp part of the save files before. The officer with the Pedagogy skill had both set of numbers being exactly the same except for the skill of course.

As for catapult platforms and archer turrets, like Zyzyfer said, I'd rather not use too many of them since I like to have someone always destroy an enemy instead of having the turrets or other things do it. I don't really use facilities too much though, maybe a drum platform near ports so a siege weapon can wipe it out in one hit, and I mentioned this once before, but I increased cities to be able to hold more troops and it takes a while to get their Will back up so end up sitting a maxed out transport next to a Band Platform to raise Will up quicker, since normally it seems to go up by like 6 from Drilling when having a lot of troops in a city. Also I usually don't use fire traps either that much. But if you play as a weaker force, or have a strong enemy nearby, all those things can really help out. I think I remember one of the challenges on the ps2 version playing as Meng Huo and trying to hold off Zhuge Liang's attack and having fires starting everywhere being the only thing that stopped him from wiping everyone out before time ran out and I cleared it. :P
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Valvatorez wrote:
Nice find, I did test this out quickly this morning and it does seem to work. I just had 3 people together march out, copied their hex values, then did the same exact thing just switched one to have the skill and here's how the exp part looked:

Before: 64 04 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00
After: 64 07 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 00

Those were the only numbers that were different, although I never missed with the exp part of the save files before. The officer with the Pedagogy skill had both set of numbers being exactly the same except for the skill of course.

Thanks for running a test. I was planning to do one tonight when I saw Zyzyfer express interest. This certainly raises my opinion of Pedagogy.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Sure, no problem. I think it is more useful now too and might change a couple of people's skills to have it. I hoped that it gave others more exp from researching, but that doesn't seem to work. Either way, thanks for letting us know about it :)
Valvatorez
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms