Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:29 am

Hyper90 wrote:The year is 210, Yi was mine. Purple’s last base was at Yong An, a mistake I did not take it earlier but it was heavily fortified with base defenses and plenty resources. By the time I was able to prepare to attack, Green broke alliance with me; he unleashed hoards of units marching towards my base at Jingzhou. I could not allow an opening for my new enemy to attack Zitong and the others so I also muster my army and decide the battle at Yong An’s southwest front door. The battle would be a drag so this time I build a band platform, and we clash each other at a deathlock.

Meanwhile at the north, I had captured LuoYang along with the Emperor and my battle with 2 big forces began. A year later Yong An was mine and the era of Three Kingdoms had begun, with me, Green, and Black. Both armies’ strength outnumbered me by 2:1 and I must stand my ground for the decisive battle is drawing near... It is either me or them.

Those band platforms are well worth the money that's for sure! Good luck in your game!

I just picked this game up again recently and playing Lu Bu's campaign scenario as Lu Bu. What a tough position they put him in as Cao Cao, Yuan Shao and Liu Bei are all focusing everything on him.
I almost didn't survive the first two waves and Yuan Shu(my ally) was crushed by Sun Ce the 2nd year in.
I luckily made an alliance with Sun and went after Cao Cao strong and took some of his officers. After he had to regroup I threw everything at Shao and now got him on the ropes at Nan Pi.
It's shaping up to be a really fun game with Ma Teng a powerhouse in the west and Wu steamrolling in the south, plus Cao Cao is still a danger~
“Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare”
-Japanese proverb
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:36 am

I want to ask is it possible to replace the current soundtrack of XI with the soundtrack or RTK X, or other music files ? Listening to the same soundtrack for too long gets boring :?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:54 am

Hyper90 wrote:I want to ask is it possible to replace the current soundtrack of XI with the soundtrack or RTK X, or other music files ? Listening to the same soundtrack for too long gets boring :?

You're probably just better off muting the music without doing anything to the sound effects and playing your own stuff, because otherwise you'll get stuck hearing some other song over and over and over again anyway.

-----

I'm still playing that Xiang Yu random scenario game. As the years go by and I slowly grow, I've managed to work my way up to Shangyong, Wan, and Xuchang, forming a nice solid defensive border against Cao Rui's endless hordes. This allowed me to therefore shift my attention to being aggressive down in Yi, where Zhao Yun and a bunch of cavalry experts have been holding the fort in Yongan for well over a decade.

Yuan Shu was swallowed up by Cao Rui over time, but Sun Quan is still hanging in there. I've got 15 cities at the moment, and Cao Rui and Sun Quan are hovering at around 21 and 6 or so, respectively.

Playing a slow game has its moments, but it's pretty funny how long it is taking me to get a decisive edge over Cao Rui in game years.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:41 am

Just to go a little off topic.

Has anyone tried playing the rise of heroes scenario as Zhang Xiu? Or just any smaller force because I'm playing through this scenario and It would be nice if people playing for longer than I have to give me a few pointers. Thanks!
LordSimaYi
Student

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Hyper90 wrote:I want to ask is it possible to replace the current soundtrack of XI with the soundtrack or RTK X, or other music files ? Listening to the same soundtrack for too long gets boring :?

San11Snd does that, but it's in chinese (although it seems is quite simple):
http://sangokusi.x0.com/img/238.rar

---------
EDIT:

I just wrote this and it covers almost everything.

0) BACKUP the files before editing them (just a reminder before we start).

1) "Open Res File" (.bin)
a) This app have 3 columns. The right one have 5 buttons, the 1st (on top) means "Open Res File".
b) Click it, go to Three Kingdoms 11 installation folder, then Media and select san11pkres.bin (case of PK)
c) The left column will list the songs, while the top of the central shows res file info.

2) "The Playlist"
a) The middle of the central column deals with the song selected from the list. It can be renamed or played/stopped.
b) On the central column, below the 3 boxes, you have a search box and two buttons (-14/+14) to navigate the list.

3) "Replace"
a) The lower part of the central column allows you to browse for a song (.ogg), which also can be played/stopped.
b) Click the 4th button on the right column in order to replace the one on the list for the browsed one.

4) "Extract"
a) Check the boxes of songs on the left column
b) Click the 3rd option on the right column

5) "Rebuild Res File"
a) 2nd option of right column ... no idea!

6) "Exit"
a) 5th option right column, far below.
Last edited by Lezard Valeth on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 am

LordSimaYi wrote:Has anyone tried playing the rise of heroes scenario as Zhang Xiu?

I haven't but your best bet may very well be to pull out of Wan completely and immediately*, and head down to Shangyong. Perhaps leave a few troops behind to pull out the accumulated gold and food just before another force takes the city. Wan is a hot target for the AI and you don't want to be caught in the middle of all of that.

From there, you can maybe consider alliances, taking out Zhang Lu, and so on.

*edit - Er...I should have included to search the city for hidden officers first, if possible.

Or just any smaller force because I'm playing through this scenario and It would be nice if people playing for longer than I have to give me a few pointers. Thanks!

In my personal experience, there is a fair bit more luck that comes into play to win with a small force. Being at the edge of the map is certainly more advantageous, and once you get down to three or fewer officers, then every action - or lack of action (leaving an officer idle) - can have an impact. Your first goal is to gather more officers so that you can handle domestic affairs and build up some troops.

A few things to bear in mind about hidden officers...

- If you search and discover an officer, and attempt but fail to recruit him or her in the same action, the officer will refuse to join you for something like three months. To avoid this, you can either save before you search and try out different officers, or put off searching until better personnel comes along.
- Another option is to decline to try to recruit the discovered officer, and then send another officer to make a normal recruitment attempt. Even if the attempt fails, it won't trigger the officer to basically hate you for three months.
- A discovered/free officer can wander from city to city, but hidden officers never move, so if the city has a lot of hidden officers (like Yan Baihu in RoH), you may want to hold off on searching entirely until you're actually capable of recruiting them.
- Idle officers, as in those who are not assigned to long-term tasks, may also make officer recommendations, so you may want to consider leaving an able adviser or general with nothing to do at first, if you have one.
Last edited by Zyzyfer on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:46 am

Zhang Xiu ... yeah, you should abide by the fact you'll lose Wan and prepare for it. taking Shangyong and going for Zhang Lu sounds like the best course of action. Shangyong have 2 weaklings hidden if I remember right and hopefully you'll get some officers when Liu Bei take down Liu Biao. That's a start, from there it'll really depend on what happens. On the bright side, you have a good strategist, which makes things much less ... agonizing.

But then, it'll be kind of masochist playing this force as is. So, changing the topic, I really think koei could have made this force a little better. Hu Juer (Hu Che’er) should have better stats, it was his idea to steal the weapons and he was very strong, said to be the best of Xiu's generals, no? And why your officers don't like each other? They should! You'd get assistance in battle and would be able to use Hu Juer to complement someone else stats (assuming the low Lea, high War). They wouldn't have being able to cause so much trouble, were they that bad and disunited.
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Chiang Tzu-Ya » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:44 am

Greetings. Longtime lurker who finally made an account. Got hooked on RTK when 1 and 2 were on the NES, got a copy of the books and loved them, and then came back to it for RTK IV on the PC which I've been playing off and on ever since.

I managed to snag an English copy of XI for PC a couple of days ago (dirt cheap!) and I'm downright floored by how awesome it is. It's complex and everything I've liked about the series previously. Having a blast playing it.

Question, though -- I don't see a Version listed anywhere in the game, is there a patch I need to be getting to bring it up to the latest revision? Or is there no such thing?

Thanks.
Chiang Tzu-Ya
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:12 am

Chiang Tzu-Ya wrote:Greetings. Longtime lurker who finally made an account. Got hooked on RTK when 1 and 2 were on the NES, got a copy of the books and loved them, and then came back to it for RTK IV on the PC which I've been playing off and on ever since.

I managed to snag an English copy of XI for PC a couple of days ago (dirt cheap!) and I'm downright floored by how awesome it is. It's complex and everything I've liked about the series previously. Having a blast playing it.

Question, though -- I don't see a Version listed anywhere in the game, is there a patch I need to be getting to bring it up to the latest revision? Or is there no such thing?

Thanks.

Welcome to the fold. Although it was some time ago now, I had a similar experience as yourself, making the jump from III to XI and loving it.

As for the question about a patch, I believe that there are none for the vanilla English game, considering how glitchy the thing is.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chiang Tzu-Ya » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:48 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Welcome to the fold. Although it was some time ago now, I had a similar experience as yourself, making the jump from III to XI and loving it.

As for the question about a patch, I believe that there are none for the vanilla English game, considering how glitchy the thing is.

I just started learning about that today...game crashes when I'm in fullscreen anytime it tries to transition into the Dueling movie. I had to decline to watch duels and changed to windowed to get past it, but I got Yan Yan out of the deal so my complaint is minimal. :D
Chiang Tzu-Ya
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms