Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Since my last post, I got all the Jingnan rulers to surrender aside from Jin Xuan, who was defeated by Liu Biao. Liu Bei had better start doing sprints on something.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rippletoadz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:55 am

What do you think are the best and worst portraits of lesser known officers?

Best: Guo Ma (looks like he could be a LOTR character)
Worst: Sun Xin (Should've given this one to Xiahou Mao)
rippletoadz
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:47 am

Best: There's some Wu Yan dude with badass red armor later in the game. I also really like Jiao Chu for some reason. He looks like the quiet badass type. Oh, and Sha Moke. Damn. "Dont. ****. With. Me."
Worst: I kind of have to agree with Sun Xin. He's all like "Look! I'm a monkey! I'm a screaming monkey!" And Cen Hun, toothless old man or something.

I'm guessing that Sun Xin action pose is what spawned all the "in the moment" shots we see in the XII portraits.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Goosey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:47 am

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:Shouldn't be much of a problem to create a list, though, I can do it if you want.

Thanks for the list. Looking at the list, if I am interested in recruiting Cao Cao's and Liu Bei's officers, would it make sense to have my compatibility closer to 50 or would I end up in no man's land? :cry:
Goosey
Tyro

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:10 am

Goosey wrote:
Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:Shouldn't be much of a problem to create a list, though, I can do it if you want.

Thanks for the list. Looking at the list, if I am interested in recruiting Cao Cao's and Liu Bei's officers, would it make sense to have my compatibility closer to 50 or would I end up in no man's land? :cry:

Yes, 50's compatibility should work. That's why Liu Biao's guys can be easily recruited by both Shu and Wei (save for the Shu-hating Cai family).

Looking at the list again, I'm more surprised that Liu Zhang, who served Shu and then Wu, is rather found between Wei and Shu. And Yuan Tan being 15 points away from his father is also funny.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 am

My best guess with Liu Zhang is that they put the majority of the Han loyalists in the region between 70 and 100 (excepting Wei guys, obviously). I more mean Huangfu Song, He Jin, etc. They're all 90s I think. And Yuan Shao is at 100.

I considered the idea of swapping the two and their officers (that make sense) so Liu Zhang is at 100 and Yuan Shao at 55 or so. One other benefit besides making a little more sense is that Wu has an easier time getting the folks in Yi, instead of running out of juicy targets from 207. I haven't looked at it thoroughly, but the Yuan guys that join Cao Cao would also be closer to Wei if necessary.

But I figure I'm overlooking something and doing this would mess up the dynamics of the game somehow.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 am

Nah, I think Yuan Shao is fine being at 100. Close to He Jin and well, opposite of Cao Cao. Having the "opposite" compatibility (75 point difference) doesn't really mean you can't employ those people anyway. Having such a huge difference between the Yi Liu people and Jing Liu people feels weird as well. It all does make sense in the end, and while putting Liu Zhang and his Yi folks at around 100 might make it a little bit easier for Wu to grab them, they didn't really have any connections.

The thing is, I could however imagine Liu Zhang to get a few more points, putting him higher than the rest of the Yi folk. Many people in Yi were not content with Liu Zhang ruling there, a higher compatibility difference might lead to more frequent loyalty drops. While Liu Zhang's loyalty when serving his father Liu Yan won't drop because of family relations and those who "liked" Liu Zhang (guys like Zhang Ren and Wang Lei) won't lose any loyalty because of "liking" Liu Zhang at the same time.
Not sure how it would affect leaving officers when Liu Yan dies and Liu Zhang succeeds him in an early scenario though.

By the way, considering the 75 point difference again, it's funny to see Chen Shou having a score of 50 :lol: (putting him about 75 points away from Sun Quan and the Wu guys). Talk about Wu being the "third wheel" again.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:and while putting Liu Zhang and his Yi folks at around 100 might make it a little bit easier for Wu to grab them, they didn't really have any connections.

Liu Zhang joining Wu is a pretty big connection, I'd argue. At least enough that he shouldn't be near their opposite since he left Liu Bei to join them.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:and while putting Liu Zhang and his Yi folks at around 100 might make it a little bit easier for Wu to grab them, they didn't really have any connections.

Liu Zhang joining Wu is a pretty big connection, I'd argue. At least enough that he shouldn't be near their opposite since he left Liu Bei to join them.

I said I could imagine Liu Zhang gaining a few (or more) points on his score, using his surrender to Wu as the base for my asumption (although I didn't particularly state it). However, the rest of Yi officers, people like Pang Xi, Zhang Ren, Lei Tong, Gao Pei or even Liu Yan himself, they had absolutely nothing to do with Wu.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:I said I could imagine Liu Zhang gaining a few (or more) points on his score, using his surrender to Wu as the base for my asumption (although I didn't particularly state it). However, the rest of Yi officers, people like Pang Xi, Zhang Ren, Lei Tong, Gao Pei or even Liu Yan himself, they had absolutely nothing to do with Wu.

True, though having nothing to do with Wu outside Liu Zhang himself makes them being almost arch enemies still unusual.

I'll always think the Yuan-Cao hatred is weird. The two had way too much officer overlap for me to think it works. You'd think it's be Cao-Liu Bei that are arch enemies from the novel.

Edit: Sorry if my first post seems more confrontational than it was meant to; I had a rough night.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms