Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby Valvatorez » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Lady Wu wrote:The only A->S I've seen happened just once in the 10 years (????) I've been playing this game, and that happened just a few weeks back with Guan Yu going A->S in cavalry. For some reason I had him buddy up with Zhao Yun a lot on cavalry and he just picked it up, I guess.

I have never had anyone improve Navy... probably because I tend not to do naval battles. Do you improve just by sitting in a port or do you actually need to sail out and ward off intruders?

I rarely if ever see this too unless someone finds a shrine or something to improve the APT, I almost never have that happen in a game, but that may also be because I filled up all the officer slots and tend to use many different people, so the same ones aren't fighting all the time. Usually I only see like someone that's not the leading officer improve pikes or spears from C-B.
It's a bit disappointing though to see a fellow Wu fan that doesn't like naval battles? :lol: I do see those aptitudes changes sometimes, so yeah I think you do need to actually be in a ship fighting on the water to see any increase. Not sure if being in a warship improves exp or not though, but it does seem to happen more often for me at least.

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:Weaponry could be increased via walls as well, I guess, just use a siege weapon instead. I don't know how much damage it would do with 1 soldier though. Since you can only use tactics, you might get more experience (I don't remember the numbers), but you'd also have to replenish will constantly.

Someone with 1 troop and a juggernaut only does like 20 damage to a wall, from 400 hp, and can get the Will back from a band platform or just marching back to the city for 1 turn, so I guess you could do that, then have someone else come out and build another one once its gone, but I don't have the patience to do this at all :lol: I used to have some people transport 1 troop from a city that's right near a port like Xin Ye or Luo Yang every turn to raise deeds, but even that gets tedious after a while.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Yeah when I get navy to go up I am usually defending from a port for a long period - usually when playing a staggered out game since repelling port invaders usually means the player has a prime opportunity to capitalize. Generally I pair a couple of C navy guys with an S, preferably someone with a skill that gives criticals. And those officers sit in a port with troops, usually enough to make three ship units, and beat up whatever approaches. Sometimes with backup from the city. I can usually get some Bs and even As this way but it does take time.

Raising A to S is like 250 exp. Which is like 63 criticals with that unit type, or 125ish tactics. So yeah seeing this will be rare in normal gameplay, might happen if you play all same unit type games (all cavalry) or something. But generally it's impractical...I will see it in really long games I've played but your typical run? Nah.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 am

Sometimes it seems like I have to defend ports more than actual cities, since the AI seems to love them. Most of the time I leave them alone and just take them back later, and sometimes fight in the water as well, that's probably why I see that go up the most, but it does seem odd that its the same exp to upgrade it for all equipment, you would think weaponry would be a bit lower.
Just wondering if raising an actual stat has the same exp levels to upgrade? Or is that at 100?
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 am

Stats are 100 exp, but follow similar "X gives Y points" for various actions that can be hard to keep track of.

Even though I'm confident that Koei was just lazy with weapons and that therefore has the same values, the thing with them is, even a C can do tactics, and in my opinion, unless you've maxed out all the siege-related tech, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between a C and an S here. Not to mention, there are S and A weapon guys littered throughout the game. I rarely ever see the need for more than like one siege unit. So it's the least useful apt for me, yes I rank it below even navy.

Side note, I'm suddenly reminded of that Yuan Shao siege only game. Even though I was spamming these units, I got very few apt boosts, it was so sad haha
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 am

Yeah you're right there, I usually use siege weapons really early in the game, and maybe with the cities near ports or gates, but towards the midgame and especially towards the end, I don't really use them. I mean sometimes I'd march one out and the city already is wiped out from the other units heading there, and the weapons aren't even halfway there yet. I do like using warships with catapults though, especially the places where they can bombard the city while others are on land, but that's only in a few places.
A siege only game? :lol: Did you use any other equipment at all, or just had mainly weapons with some others mixed in?
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:50 am

It was 100% siege weapons. I played as Yuan Shao. I posted about it in this thread but it was a while ago now. I figured I had done all spears, all pikes, all cavalry, all bows, why not all siege? :lol:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 am

Haha I did find it around page 700 or so, it was an interesting read, surprisingly you seemed to have done really well with it. That seems like it would be difficult to even get around in some places, maybe if you ever came back to playing XI, you could try an all Swords game, that would seem worse unless you have tons of troops. I would think going to some cities where people get bunched up like Zi Tong, would be a pain to get through with only weapons, buuut you don't seem to mention if you actually finished it and won lol, or I just missed it, there's a lot of pages in this thread :oops:
Either way, its fun to play through the game with different settings or restrictions just to play differently or challenge yourself, since the AI doesn't help much.
My most recent game, I played a random force setup and only controlled one custom officer by himself to try to make things more challenging(I mentioned this to you once and you agreed such things don't work out very well :lol: ). Ding Feng joined in the first turn, but everyone else said no after that, so was only me and him for a whole year, every time someone would get close to the city, they would either get distracted by the nearby port or go after another force trying to sneak in there too, so I managed to survive until the next year when more people joined up. Once I get through that first wave of attacks about 6-7 months in, it gets a bit more manageable for a while, looks like you had that problem too in your siege game with Gongsun Zan :mrgreen:
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 am

I did "finish" it - you can search HBSCA I think to find the relevant posts - but kind of glossed over the ending, it sounds like Sun Jian had only a shallow hold of southern cities so would be wiped out effortlessly, and I was on my way into Yi when I called it a wrap. I wouldn't play all swords because they are actually at a disadvantage; so long as you keep in mind how catapults work, it's not that hard to spam them and even defend. If swords had decent stats but no tactics, or tactics but still poor stats, that'd be worth considering.

One thing I miss about this thread is people sharing stories of their conquests, I am playing XIII and nobody seems to be having fun with it, so it's just me posting over and over again in the thread haha. My Liu Bei events game decided to stop triggering events just before Chibi so I went ahead and manually conquered southern Jing. Man this game is so broken :lol:

Currently eyeing Cao Cao's Jiangling; I realized through my earlier raids how ridiculously effective they can be from Xinye, so once I reclaim that Wei is basically done. Xinye sucks in XI. :evil:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

Ah nice then, the main thing I don't like about siege weapons besides their slow movement is they can't counter attack or do anything if they are surrounded or stuck, not to mention being totally useless if they don't have enough Will or keep getting hit by someone with Majesty. I had one time where someone with Majesty, Chain Attack, and Assistance in the same unit totally ruined my hope for an all siege battle by himself. The all swords thing would make it so you are always at a disadvantage and need to win in other ways, although you would always need to spam recruit to make up for how many troops you would be losing, and even then probably wouldn't have much luck. I wonder though, do you use the fire traps and those last 2 techs in the research at all in games? That always seems to be the last one I research and never really build them either unless I have someone attacking with Aegis since I added that to a couple officers. The AI seems to like building them at least, someone from Wu Wei was building tons of them north of the city for some reason, must not want anyone to touch that wall :lol:
Same, its nice to see this thread at least get some activity, even though its mostly just us :lol: I mean I don't mind sharing stories and reading them as well, just didn't think there's much interest at all since most people seemed to have moved on to other games, or don't play it at all anymore, still though I always like playing through it sometimes and going back to it every now and then.
Haha it really does, Xin Ye, Jiang Xia and Xiao Pei are probably the 3 main cities I completely avoid doing much with most of the time unless they have will have strong backup I can give them from other nearby cities.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 am

Valvatorez wrote:Ah nice then, the main thing I don't like about siege weapons besides their slow movement is they can't counter attack or do anything if they are surrounded or stuck, not to mention being totally useless if they don't have enough Will or keep getting hit by someone with Majesty.

Yeah, placement is key if you plan to use siege weapons.

I wonder though, do you use the fire traps and those last 2 techs in the research at all in games? That always seems to be the last one I research and never really build them either unless I have someone attacking with Aegis since I added that to a couple officers. The AI seems to like building them at least, someone from Wu Wei was building tons of them north of the city for some reason, must not want anyone to touch that wall :lol:

Traps: I do but usually on the fly, and under normal circumstances I think you need three enemy units in a row in order for it to be worth it...or you are firing off multiple traps in a line. I don't really bother with the area effect ones, just the line traps. I would play around with traps a lot more, but the way the terrain is laid out makes it so you usually can't do the really cool stuff.

Fire tech: The third tech is useful, the fourth is broken because it doubles damage taken from fire traps for both you and the enemy. I usually don't prioritize it unless playing Wu.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms