Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby Valvatorez » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:25 pm

Whichever one that ends up confusing the enemies seems like it might be useful sometimes if it works often enough, but yeah you're right that in a lot of places, its hard to actually set them up to get their full range. I'd rather just send someone out of the city to smack them around anyways than use the traps.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Valvatorez wrote:It's a bit disappointing though to see a fellow Wu fan that doesn't like naval battles?

Well... you see... when I play as Wu I rule the waves so much that enemies don't even have a chance to fight me on water. >_<

Naval battles can be a lot of fun if you have warships/catapult/thunder. The first few years I played this game I used to research that category first (if you survive long enough to get Thunder you're basically OP for the rest of the game), but then I switched to research Bow techniques first. And having to spend money on ships, ugh. When on Advanced and the super-advanced setting on the PUK, I barely have enough money to buy regular gear in early game.

On that note, I must also confess that I don't do traps that often. I deal way more damage by direct attacks (and save one unit's turn). Though lately when playing on the higher difficulty levels I noticed that the AI was able to use low WAR/LDR officers effectively in battle, by having them go around setting off traps. Then again, traps are useless until you have Fire Stratagem, and in early game there's always better things to spend tech points on.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Valvatorez » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Well... you see... when I play as Wu I rule the waves so much that enemies don't even have a chance to fight me on water. >_<

Ahh so that's why, its because you are too good at them, no one else will even try to stop you, I misunderstood, but now understand perfectly :mrgreen:

Yeah I know what you mean, usually when I build warships, its in the midgame after several years have passed so gold isn't really too much of an issue. I tend to always go for Military Reform first, but then things seem to be too easy, so I kinda have been holding off on that. Do you think the Puk is a lot harder than Advanced in the regular version? I don't have the Puk anymore, and only played a couple of games when I did have it, but had a really bad translation and didn't know what some of the new things even did. But I do remember having to keep sending out 1 officer with 1 troop and a bow hoping to light enemies on fire with Incinerate because that was the only way I was gonna survive, so I guess maybe it is harder. Still though, I'd like to try it again someday. I agree too about traps and Fire Stratagem, sometimes I just rush someone out and blow them up with the enemy if I use one of their own traps against them. In the early game, I usually try to have at least 1 siege weapon, and save gold for other things, then build other stuff way later on after I have a few cities.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 am

Valvatorez wrote:Whichever one that ends up confusing the enemies seems like it might be useful sometimes if it works often enough, but yeah you're right that in a lot of places, its hard to actually set them up to get their full range. I'd rather just send someone out of the city to smack them around anyways than use the traps.

Well...that's what I meant by the terrain being unfavorable for really fun stuff. Those stun traps are handy, but they also have a chance of killing officers (unless that setting is off). And you can place them down ahead of time but then you have to be extra-cautious with your own units. Those line traps, you can just throw one down when an opportunity presents itself and go to town.

Those radius traps, they also sometimes prevent you from capitalizing on the target unit afterward, if they're surrounded by fire.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 am

Can those traps actually kill officers just by lighting them, or does the unit have to be wiped out or injured first? Also I've been going through and adding hundreds of new messages into the game, but found one set of them at 2001-2018 or so that are all about "Intercept", what is this? I don't remember seeing any of them in the game anywhere.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:11 am

Valvatorez wrote:Can those traps actually kill officers just by lighting them, or does the unit have to be wiped out or injured first? Also I've been going through and adding hundreds of new messages into the game, but found one set of them at 2001-2018 or so that are all about "Intercept", what is this? I don't remember seeing any of them in the game anywhere.

Never heard of Intercept, sounds like a vestigial bit of dialogue for a removed command, perhaps.

You can kill officers just by lighting them. I've actually even killed Zhou Yu before. :lol:

But it's only the level 3 traps (line and AoE), and when officer deaths are on.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:24 am

Hmm maybe, they do sound interesting, with special quotes for Gan Ning, Ma Chao, Guan Ping and a couple others, wonder what it was then.

Really, even Zhou Yu lol? So his skill prevents fire damage by not staying on fire, but he can still die from it, or did you change his skill? Even a unit with troops can get killed by it? I usually have deaths off, but didn't know that the traps can kill that easily, well when it works.
Can something like Black Arts with the Lightning kill? Its nice to know even after playing this game so much for so many years, can still learn new things :mrgreen:
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Lightning no, doesn't kill from what I have seen. Zhou Yu's skill was Divine Fire at the time. The context was, I had made a bunch of custom officers with Divine Fire to play around with traps freely, and ended up getting Zhou Yu over the course of play. I lit tons of traps with various Divine Fire guys and eventually one died. It just happened to be Zhou Yu.

Now, could it be a "one in a million" freak accident case? Yeah, of course. But it is also worth noting, the lieutenants under the Divine Fire officer are also not safe from dying in the blast.

So I don't like the AoE traps very much. :wink:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Of all the things in the game, you'd think Lightning would be the one that would have the best chance to kill? But like I said, I usually have deaths off, and only remember seeing someone die from a duel, and I think Cavalry charge and maybe a pike tactic, all others seemed to be from fires and getting injured. That is interesting though lol that it does happen at all with Divine Fire and they aren't safe from it, but yeah totally understand not liking the traps since it would be easy to get someone killed if it triggers.
I did ask this once before but no one answered lol, any idea how coalitions work, and if they are in the English pc game at all? I have never seen one, only remember seeing them on the ps2 version. I see forces combining when I have 6 cities, but never see the actual message where they stop fighting one another to fight me instead. I mean I actually want to see that and fight off everyone, but it never happens. :cry:
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:45 am

Usually when I get a coalition against me, I am playing my custom ruler. Or somebody bad like Dong Zhuo. I think it's very important that you be the biggest force on the map, and don't do any diplomacy. Outside of that, I'm not sure what you can do to trigger them.

And yes that's English vanilla PC.

Even with deaths set on high I find that it's not all that common really. The most common one is killing some civil officer in a cavalry tactic, followed by auto-killing someone after winning a duel.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms