RTK VII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII?

Yes
76%
No
7%
Unsure…
7%
Never Played It…
10%

Total votes : 59

Re: RTK VII Discussion Thread

Unread postby Human5 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

psycohideo wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I had a playthrough in the latter portion of the game. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't many officers in each kingdom, some cities had no officers or prefects, while the border states had 1 to 3 officers max. I thought it was just my fief, but i resigned and joined the others and they were in the same state.

Which wasn't really a bad thing, battles were two-three units max and if you had a good class and troops you could defeat the enemy with just 1-2 units.

Also each side was hesitant to invade for the most part.. I assume the game won't launch a invasion with such few units? Not sure, but it was interesting without a doubt.

I am almost certain that you are playing the last scenario called Sima Zhao's Ambition. That scenario is known to have few officers. Most of the known officers are in the dawn of the three kingdoms and rise of wei.

Also, is it me? or when in a duel the defeated character is not killed. I have had a few duels; even against badly wounded officers and it only ends in a capture. I never got why koei would do that, being as though most duels were to the death (for the most part) If I recall, once in ROTK 4 I had a officer killed in battle. Quite rare as it hasn't happened to me again, but why would you include the possibility in a earlier game, then take it away in a much more greater and grander version of the game?

This way, if you lose a duel, you don't automatically lose the game.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:01 am

My funnest experience from this game was when I theoretically opened up an academy.

I played as the hidden character; "Sun Tzu" under Shu, listed as Liu Bei's son. I would take 10 officers under my control (Including Sun Tzu), move them all into the same city, and have them be tutored by Sun Tzu for up to fifteen years each, making them master generals, politicians, strategists, warriors. My own officer of 15 trained people that were twice as old as him, looked at them as his disciples, watched them compete in tournaments and contests, and even attended their celebrations of new life to their clan, taking in their offspring's into his academy, and eventually attending his disciples funereal.

In less then forty or so years, I opened up a "academy" so to speak, and trained over fifty officers, perfecting them in stats and making them all legends, doing it time and time again, with each generation; from Guan Xing, to Guan Tong, to Guan Yi, for example. I trained Fei Yi to not only be an excellent diplomat, but a defined strategist. I trained Zhuge Zhan and Zhuge Shang to surpass even their father and grandfather, "The Sleeping Dragon". Sun Tzu eventually succeeded Liu Bei, his father, and united the land, most of his disciples have already passed after achieving much fame and merit, and only a couple students left to carry on the tradition. I'd like to think that this Sun Tzu actually opened up his own academy, like that of Sima Hui, and perfected plentiful assortments of officers into masterminds, creating stone statues of them to resemble their physical appearances and preserver their legends.

That, was the best experience I've had in VII.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:05 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:My funnest experience from this game was when I theoretically opened up an academy.

I played as the hidden character; "Sun Tzu" under Shu, listed as Liu Bei's son. I would take 10 officers under my control (Including Sun Tzu), move them all into the same city, and have them be tutored by Sun Tzu for up to fifteen years each, making them master generals, politicians, strategists, warriors. My own officer of 15 trained people that were twice as old as him, looked at them as his disciples, watched them compete in tournaments and contests, and even attended their celebrations of new life to their clan, taking in their offspring's into his academy, and eventually attending his disciples funereal.

In less then forty or so years, I opened up a "academy" so to speak, and trained over fifty officers, perfecting them in stats and making them all legends, doing it time and time again, with each generation; from Guan Xing, to Guan Tong, to Guan Yi, for example. I trained Fei Yi to not only be an excellent diplomat, but a defined strategist. I trained Zhuge Zhan and Zhuge Shang to surpass even their father and grandfather, "The Sleeping Dragon". Sun Tzu eventually succeeded Liu Bei, his father, and united the land, most of his disciples have already passed after achieving much fame and merit, and only a couple students left to carry on the tradition. I'd like to think that this Sun Tzu actually opened up his own academy, like that of Sima Hui, and perfected plentiful assortments of officers into masterminds, creating stone statues of them to resemble their physical appearances and preserver their legends.

That, was the best experience I've had in VII.

I need to try that. :)
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 am

Human5 wrote:I need to try that. :)

I think everyone does :)
I chose to be the son of one of the three kingdoms in order to have close relations to almost every officer easily, and instead of being tutored by everyone, I tutored everyone. There wasn't any incompetent officer in the kingdom to boot.

I think I'll try it again, though I'll have this Sun Tzu have different relations and background info.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 am

Don't they have to ask your character to tutor them? The PS2 version CPU rarely does that. :(
I don't remember there being a teach command.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:48 am

Human5 wrote:Don't they have to ask your character to tutor them? The PS2 version CPU rarely does that. :(

I have the PS2 version, in which you can press R1, R2, L1, L2, Select, Pause/Start, and I'm allowed to play as ten officers. When it comes to each disciples turn, I ask Sun Tzu to tutor them/me.
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 am

Oh. So you use the cheat. 8-)
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LuXunMaster102 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:
Human5 wrote:Don't they have to ask your character to tutor them? The PS2 version CPU rarely does that. :(

I have the PS2 version, in which you can press R1, R2, L1, L2, Select, Pause/Start, and I'm allowed to play as ten officers. When it comes to each disciples turn, I ask Sun Tzu to tutor them/me.

Don't you think that's quite time-consuming, not to mention that it takes quite a while playing as one officer alone?
It is in times of chaos when heroes are made. -LuXunMaster102

Yuan Dynasty:

Ruler - Yuan Shao
Prime Minister - Guo Jia
Grand Commander - Zhou Yu
Alternate - Sun Jian
Viceroy - Lu Su
LuXunMaster102
Scholar

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:42 am

Human5 wrote:Oh. So you use the cheat. 8-)

That's the only way the whole process can be accomplished, so yes.

LuXunMaster102 wrote:Don't you think that's quite time-consuming, not to mention that it takes quite a while playing as one officer alone?

When I play VII, I don't care about the conversations, which is the most time consuming factor of the game. Instead, I care about the result of the interaction and conversation, such as bond, increased stats, etc.

People have told me that while watching me, I'm "In the Matrix" because I'm clicking through the game so fast, and that they "can't even read what their saying, I don't know how he enjoys the game." I've read just about every response and reaction, every interaction at least 10 times or more, and so I sweep through all of these quiet quickly, and I can go through a year in a short span of time with having obtained up 10,000-20,000 experience for one person in a year depending on the level of the divisioned stat of the officer. It's not that long of a process, and the result along with using your imagination to determine the prosperity of the new and improved officer just adds factors to it.
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Does anyone know how to get an ending that makes it so that the unified empire doesn't end in complete catastrophe? There's always either: you get surrounded and killed by bandits years later after being unified, or someone else takes your place once an incompetent ruler is on the throne.

Does anybody know of any other ending?
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms