RTK VII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII?

Yes
76%
No
7%
Unsure…
7%
Never Played It…
10%

Total votes : 58

Re: RTK VII Discussion Thread

Unread postby Korin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 am

I think I only ever got 1 ending

but that was like years ago

can't really remember it

all I remember is that somebody from the north invaded me and I lost my force

it was either this game

or VIII

but I'm sure it was VII cause it had the VII lay-out
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby psycohideo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:44 am

Change of topic.

I started my created officer at age 15. He has had a healthy career. But he always dies after age 45. Why is this? is there a certain number of years you have to live in the game??

I went back to a save point, but he still dies shortly after age 45.
psycohideo
Tyro

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:44 am

That is weird, I've had my created officers live past 45 plenty of times. Maybe it's just an odd roll..
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Every officer has a lifespan, and they'll tend to die very quickly when they reach the end; Created Officers probably get a random one, and you got unlucky and received 45.

If you have tons of gold you can get a few extra years by repeatedly visiting an officer with the Oracle skill.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby psycohideo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Every officer has a lifespan, and they'll tend to die very quickly when they reach the end; Created Officers probably get a random one, and you got unlucky and received 45.

If you have tons of gold you can get a few extra years by repeatedly visiting an officer with the Oracle skill.

I never got the Oracle skill, I recreated and got the Mystic skill out of the box. Any ideas on how to get it? Maybe a item?
psycohideo
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

psycohideo wrote:I never got the Oracle skill, I recreated and got the Mystic skill out of the box. Any ideas on how to get it? Maybe a item?

As far as I know it's impossible to learn Oracle; you're either born with it, or you never have it.

One guy that's around a good while and has Oracle is Yu Fan. If you find and befriend him, you've got your life extension in the bag once you have the money.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby psycohideo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
psycohideo wrote:I never got the Oracle skill, I recreated and got the Mystic skill out of the box. Any ideas on how to get it? Maybe a item?

As far as I know it's impossible to learn Oracle; you're either born with it, or you never have it.

One guy that's around a good while and has Oracle is Yu Fan. If you find and befriend him, you've got your life extension in the bag once you have the money.

Any idea on Yu Fan's whereabouts? What fief is he in; and what years is he active?
psycohideo
Tyro

Unread postby psycohideo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I had a playthrough in the latter portion of the game. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't many officers in each kingdom, some cities had no officers or prefects, while the border states had 1 to 3 officers max. I thought it was just my fief, but i resigned and joined the others and they were in the same state.

Which wasn't really a bad thing, battles were two-three units max and if you had a good class and troops you could defeat the enemy with just 1-2 units.

Also each side was hesitant to invade for the most part.. I assume the game won't launch a invasion with such few units? Not sure, but it was interesting without a doubt.

Also, is it me? or when in a duel the defeated character is not killed. I have had a few duels; even against badly wounded officers and it only ends in a capture. I never got why koei would do that, being as though most duels were to the death (for the most part) If I recall, once in ROTK 4 I had a officer killed in battle. Quite rare as it hasn't happened to me again, but why would you include the possibility in a earlier game, then take it away in a much more greater and grander version of the game?

I know ROTK XI has battle deaths, but I rarely play it.
I'm more of a fan of VII's RPG geared gameplay.

(apologies for mentioning other versions)
psycohideo
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm

psycohideo wrote:Any idea on Yu Fan's whereabouts? What fief is he in; and what years is he active?

According to Gamefaqs he appears in 193 in Hui Ji. He'd mostly be serving Wu in later scenarios if he hasn't switched sides during the game. He historically died in 223 so he probably dies around then in-game, which gives him a good 30 years.

Also, is it me? or when in a duel the defeated character is not killed. I have had a few duels; even against badly wounded officers and it only ends in a capture. I never got why koei would do that, being as though most duels were to the death (for the most part)

I actually think the number of duels ending in an actual death wasn't that high in the novel, and historically actual duels (where two warriors fought one on one by arrangement) had an apparent 0% death rate.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby psycohideo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
psycohideo wrote:Any idea on Yu Fan's whereabouts? What fief is he in; and what years is he active?

According to Gamefaqs he appears in 193 in Hui Ji. He'd mostly be serving Wu in later scenarios if he hasn't switched sides during the game. He historically died in 223 so he probably dies around then in-game, which gives him a good 30 years.

Also, is it me? or when in a duel the defeated character is not killed. I have had a few duels; even against badly wounded officers and it only ends in a capture. I never got why koei would do that, being as though most duels were to the death (for the most part)

I actually think the number of duels ending in an actual death wasn't that high in the novel, and historically actual duels (where two warriors fought one on one by arrangement) had an apparent 0% death rate.

Very interesting. I just started reading the novel recently myself, and it seems Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei killed a good lot of officers in battle. As for the whole of the characters I'm not very sure as I am not that far in the novel as of yet.
psycohideo
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms