RTK VII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII?

Yes
76%
No
7%
Unsure…
7%
Never Played It…
10%

Total votes : 59

Re: RTK VII Discussion Thread

Unread postby Human5 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:02 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:Does anyone know how to get an ending that makes it so that the unified empire doesn't end in complete catastrophe? There's always either: you get surrounded and killed by bandits years later after being unified, or someone else takes your place once an incompetent ruler is on the throne.

Does anybody know of any other ending?

Endings

"That is domains under heaven, after a long period of union, tends to divide;
after a long period of division, tends to unite."

The ending you receive depends on many factors in the game, including your
position, Fame, Bonds, and the current state of the cities under your
control. Each ending details what happens to the Liege, Warlord, and yourself
after uniting China, as well as the aftermath of the new empire.

Liege is an Emperor -> Establishes a new dynasty.
Liege is a King -> Refuses to become Emperor.
Liege's Title is lower that Prime Minister -> Liege becomes Prime Minister.
Liege kills many Officers who refuse to join him -> Becomes a tyrant.
Liege has aggressive expansion policy -> Chaos ensues after death.
Liege kills many Officers and is not an Emperor -> Empire is overthrown.
Liege (?) -> Liege becomes Celestial Emperor of the Heavens.

Warlord has high LOY, Bond, and Fame -> Warlord becomes Prime Minister.
Warlord has high Fame and WAR -> Minister becomes Grand Marshal.
Warlord has low Bond with Liege -> Warlord becomes Grand Tutor.
Warlord (?) -> Warlord leaves Liege to go on journey of self-discovery.

Prefect with high Fame -> Prefect becomes Minister of Interior.
Prefect with high Fame and WAR -> Prefect becomes Grand Marshal.

All cities have high Safety, Commerce, and Land levels -> 300 years of peace.
Cities have low Safety, Commerce, and Land levels -> Xianbei invasion.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:04 pm

the last time i played VII I got

new dynasty
my character the warlord left the liege smh
and several cutscenes

and then at the end it said 300 years of peace xD
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liang Ye » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Just started up this game for the first time - have a lot of experience in other ROTK games. Loaded up a created officer in 189 and wandered around a bit, met some free officers, and eventually went to serve Tao Qian. Interestingly, Cao Cao stayed put for awhile but then finally began to expand in about 198. By this point, Dong Zhuo controlled all of the Central Plains except Xiao Pei, Xia Pi, and Shou Chun, and had taken all the way through Wu Wei, Han Zhong, Wu Du, and northward through Ji. Gongsun Zan controlled the rest of the north, with Tao Qian's force, Sun Jian (who is still alive), and Liu Yan (also oddly still alive) splitting the south.

What's interesting about this is the number of rulers who simply surrendered...

Liu Dai, Kong Zhou, Wang Kuang, Ma Teng, and Han Sui all surrendered to Dong Zhuo.
Han Fu and Kong Rong surrendered to Yuan Shao.
Yuan Shao died, Yuan Shang surrendered to Gongsun Zan.
Yuan Shu surrendered to Liu Biao, who then surrendered to Liu Yan.
Shi Xie surrendered to Sun Jian.

This is actually the first ROTK I've played where I've encountered so much surrendering, so I'm wondering - is this normal for this game or did I just get a fluke series of events? I'm not complaining, just curious.

Also: How does recruiting work, exactly? Guan Yu has ended up serving Dong Zhuo and is the prefect of Wu Wei. I have a 100 relationship with him and with my ruler, and I have 97 Charisma (...I've been doing a lot of social stuff). Guan Yu fluctuates between 70-85 loyalty to Dong Zhuo, bouncing up and down. Every time I ask him to join me, he refuses. I've made about 50 attempts or so, just because I keep thinking with his loyalty and the relationship he's got to come around sooner or later, and he should have good compatibility with Tao Qian's force anyway. So the question is, at what point does loyalty become a "roadblock" for defection (for example, in ROTK10 it seems to be 90, in ROTK 3-4 it seemed to be just based on your officer's Charm, etc)? How much of an influence does relationship even have - is there a diminishing return or is it actually worthwhile to spend months and months trying to build up relationships?

It was interesting to see how some of the portraits in this game have apparently been retouched and evolved into the portraits in later games, for created officers. It was also interesting to see how many of the created officer faces are just downright funky-looking! I laughed out loud at a few of them.
Liang Ye
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Liang Ye wrote:This is actually the first ROTK I've played where I've encountered so much surrendering, so I'm wondering - is this normal for this game or did I just get a fluke series of events? I'm not complaining, just curious.

It's fairly normal for the player to get surrenders later in the game, but I don't remember seeing a ton to AI rulers.

Also: How does recruiting work, exactly? Guan Yu has ended up serving Dong Zhuo and is the prefect of Wu Wei. I have a 100 relationship with him and with my ruler, and I have 97 Charisma (...I've been doing a lot of social stuff). Guan Yu fluctuates between 70-85 loyalty to Dong Zhuo, bouncing up and down. Every time I ask him to join me, he refuses. I've made about 50 attempts or so, just because I keep thinking with his loyalty and the relationship he's got to come around sooner or later, and he should have good compatibility with Tao Qian's force anyway. So the question is, at what point does loyalty become a "roadblock" for defection (for example, in ROTK10 it seems to be 90, in ROTK 3-4 it seemed to be just based on your officer's Charm, etc)? How much of an influence does relationship even have - is there a diminishing return or is it actually worthwhile to spend months and months trying to build up relationships?

Naturally loyal people like Guan Yu can be tricky to recruit if you don't drop their loyalty very low; 70 should have a chance but at 85 it's probably unlikely. Being Prefect, I believe, makes him much more resistant to defecting, which probably causes your problem.
Relationship seems to have a very large effect, especially with recruiting free officers. I never try to personally hire someone unless we're friends. If I'm a ruler (or have a high stipend) I prefer to send some letters to get relations to the 30 or so range, then send gold to bribe their friendship up that way.

Edit: Be warned when you play a ruler yourself; starting loyalty is based almost wholly off the officer's relationship with their new liege, which is one good reason to send letters and bribes to hiring candidates. I had one rather hilarious situation as a created officer under Lu Bu where I would hire my brother to join him, my brother would defect, I'd hire him back, he'd defect again, and it just went on and on...
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:01 am

Hi guys,

just want to ask...how to delegate the cities in this RTK? i mean let the computer works for some cities and anyone already try the blessing talent? it said we can summon God.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:21 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:Hi guys,

just want to ask...how to delegate the cities in this RTK? i mean let the computer works for some cities and anyone already try the blessing talent? it said we can summon God.

There are no viceroys, if that's what you mean. You just appoint a Prefect for each city. The prefects tend to do a competant job though.

Bless--lets you use the four holy beasts. When you have this skill you can get the beasts as items by either buying them from an officer with the Tame skill (very, very, very rare) or win a duel against a tiger that attacks you while hunting (much better odds). The beasts are incredibly powerful but vanish after being used so you'll have to get it again to reuse. It also costs 100 TP.

None of the regular officers start with it, but it's possible for a Created Officer to start with it, especially after you unlock the ability to create better ones.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Can only recommend it 8-)

I sometimes find myself playing it more than any other ROTK game XD
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby Huang Gai » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm

:/ Apparently you can't enter both poetry contest and Tournament of Champions and whichever you enter first, you're stuck with forever. That is the opposite of what the faqs said <_< That was a pretty huge detail to mess up. Now my officer is eternally poor :lol: 74 Int and 60 Pol stands no chance of ever winning poetry comp.
Last edited by Huang Gai on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huang Gai
Tyro

Unread postby kiko94 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Reading through the thread this game seems quite interesting, any of you know where I can find some info on the game ?
My first collection of RTK XI duels (among many to come) here
Duel Collection Number 2 this time in HD
kiko94
Sage

Unread postby Huang Gai » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/562020-roma ... faqs/17847
Gives you a good idea of what the game consists of. I've just begun playing it myself.

One thing I'll add. I was bored to death for about the first two hours. It just seemed like everything I was doing was just tedious and pointless. If you're playing as a ronin/common officer you need to find a purpose. I started dedicating myself to recruiting talent and of course contributed in battles as I could(and winning every tournament of champions). It was fun after I had goals. So after playing for a bit, figure out what your purpose is going to be.

And backup your saves. My dumb save corrupted and I had to start over again :/ Things had just got interesting between Sun Jian and He Jin too :(
Huang Gai
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms