RTK VII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII?

Yes
76%
No
7%
Unsure…
7%
Never Played It…
10%

Total votes : 58

Re: RTK VII Discussion Thread

Unread postby DangerWorldWide » Sat May 04, 2013 9:44 pm

If anyone in interested, I re-figured out the skills and units/arms codes using a codebreaker.

The default skill code gives you all the skills, but you can break the 2nd half of the code part into sections.

This code is for the 1st CC, 2ADB5A85 FFFFFFFF. The important part as far as editing the specific skills if the FFFFFFFF part. It works in a backwards fashion, the first hex in the code FFFFFFFF effects the last four skills (Doctor, Oracle, Critic, Wealth). They work backwards in terms of grouping, but the groups themselves work forward.

The hexes work as follows.

0 = 0/0/0/0
1 = X/0/0/0
2 = 0/X/0/0
3 = X/X/0/0
4 = 0/0/X/0
5 = X/0/X/0
6 = 0/X/X/0
7 = X/X/X/0
8 = 0/0/0/X
9 = X/0/0/X
A = 0/X/0/X
B = X/X/0/X
C = 0/0/X/X
D = X/0/X/X
E = 0/X/X/X
F = X/X/X/X

The code for units/arms works in a fairly similar fashion. Again the default code for the 1st CC (giving him/her all units and arms) is 2A9B5A86 FFFFFFFF. The last 4 digits effect units, and the very last 2 digits are the only one with any effect, the 6th and 7th digit in the 2nd half of the code do absolutely nothing (that I'm aware of). They also work in a straight forward fashion, and follow the same hex key as above. Meaning the 7th digit effects Foot, Teng Jia, Horse, and Cavalry, while the 8th digit effects Crossbow, Tower, Catapult, Elephant. BUT THIS IS ONLY FOR THE UNIT SLOTS, WHICH WILL NOT ACTUALLY GIVE YOU THE UNITS.

The first four digits are what really matters (FFFFFFFF) as they give your officer(s) the armaments which give them the actual units. The unit slots however go backwards in groups, again working forward in the groups themselves but grouped backwards. The first digit effects Ships and Barges (meaning there's actually only 4 hex codes that matter (0 = neither, 1 = Ship, 2 = Barge, 3 = Both). The 2nd digit effects Catapults, Fireballs, Elephants, and Wood Ox. The 3rd digit effects Armor, Crossbows, Arbalests, and Towers. The 4th digit effects Bows, Teng Jia, Horses, and Harness.

I know there's codes for skill manipulation posted on Kongming for Gameshark, but those codes do not convert into codebreaker, so here's the codebreaker codes with codes for arms as well.

If anyone is having trouble figuring out my jibberish, let me know, if you want certain things for an officer, just post it or PM it to me and I'll send the appropriate code back to you, as soon as I see it/get to it.
DangerWorldWide
Apprentice

Unread postby LuXunMaster102 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:41 am

SunJian wrote:And by the way, was any correlation ever made between destroying shrines during the Patrol command and the life expectancy of your character?

Probably, although I'm not sure. On a few occasions, a weird "thud" sound effect plays when you destroy a shrine. Most of the times, this sound does not play. I think that whenever you hear the thud, it may impact you negatively, such as lessening your lifespan.
It is in times of chaos when heroes are made. -LuXunMaster102

Yuan Dynasty:

Ruler - Yuan Shao
Prime Minister - Guo Jia
Grand Commander - Zhou Yu
Alternate - Sun Jian
Viceroy - Lu Su
LuXunMaster102
Scholar

Unread postby PsychoLuBu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:42 pm

RTKVII is the best Romance of the Three Kingdoms game.

All of the games have sucky AI, but what makes this series is the beauty of the game -- the scenery, the feel of the gameplay, the music.

RTKVII tops the list, followed by RTKX.
PsychoLuBu
Tyro

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Fri May 08, 2015 6:33 am

I just replayed this game and spent a good 10 hours of gameplay making everything lively and interesting.

I played as Xia Han, my created General/Jack of all trades character. Leader of the Xia clan, a descendant of Xiang Yu, where his ultimate ambition is to unite the land under the fallen Chu dynasty or find someone worthy of his service, thus making his ancestor's ambition realized through his own prowess. He's accompannied by Qin Tao, his own personal Zhuge Liang and also sworn-brother (can't do SB in this game so just 100 bond), also the head of his family; a prestigious, Warlord build.

Together, I had them start off in the Wu region during The Yellow Turban Rebellion, training until a considerable amount of skills were aquired. Once they reached the age of 20, almost as a pact, they offered their talents to Sun Jian, joining his camp and raising his small city to a military stronghold of grandeur. Steamrolling the Yellow Turbans was easy with an ill Zhang Jiao, until his son (created officer), Zhang Ra, took over. In fact, all rulers met their demise one by one by their own ill-fated paths, until the old was replaced with the new. Xia Han and Qin Tao struggled to best their foes for a decade, with all original rulers; Dong Zhuo, Ding Yuan, Gongsun Zan, He Jin and Zhang Jiao, dying or being executed and being replaced by their only son and heirs (created for this purpose); Dong Tao, Ding Kai, Gongsun Deng, He Kang and Zhang Ra. It was a new era.

With all factions spread across the map in eerie formations, Xia Han and Qin Tao needed to form their own viceroyed faction of loyal followers of mediocre importance within the Sun domain of power. Selecting Zhu Zhi, Zhou Xin and Zu Mao or "The Three Z's", they tasked their followers with a mission of pushing their limits to the extreme, becoming gods among men under their absolute tutelage in the field of combat, strategy, governing, and leading. (Stats: Xia Han; 110, 110, 110, 110 (100 Imperial Seal [all items earned from liege, not cheated], Qin Tao; 110, 110, 110, 100, Zhu Zhi 108, 108, 107, 100) and so on and so forth.

One by one, Xia Han and Qin Tao conquered their foes in the name of their liege Sun Jian, adding new followers to their faction within their own clans; Xia Hanbei, Xia Han's brilliant and fearless prize. Qin Zai, Qin Tao's sharp and tenacious creation, and Zhu Ran, Zhu Zhi's strong-willed, tireless soldier. Sun Huan was also trained beyond measure, to ensure that the Imperial Family be led by one of Xia Han and Qin Tao's own when they had finally met death.

Until at last, the final battle arrived. Appointed as prefect of Yun Nan, Sun Jian tasked his oldest friend and most glorious General, Xia Han to unify China once and for all and vanquish the last-standing foe; Gongsun Qin, Gongsun Zan's nephew in Yong Chang.

Building up the military for the final assault, Xia Han and his army, led by his god-like followers, were but a season away from fulfilling their Emperor of Tang's ambition. They would crush the Marquis who had been chased and cornered so far from his homeland in the North. But suddenly, something tragically unthinkable happened. Word reached Qin Tao first that Sun Jian had passed on to Heaven, and a wide-scale dispute broke out. Sun Quan vied for power with Sun Ce, splitting up the country. Xia Han and Qin Tao were prepared to declare their decision of support to a brother, but before then, their sworn-ally, Sun Huan, was executed by Sun Ce under conspiracy of trying to take the crown for himself. (Revolted as a prefect in Yun Nan, was attacked by Sun Ce, who was repelled. Counter-attacked with loyal officer Sun Huan as Commander, who was promptly captured and executed). Thus, Xia Han, watching as Sun Ce bested his younger brother and regained control of the Tang Empire, marched forth to meet his late lord's brash son. Some followers of Tang and Sun Jian saw this as an act of betrayal to their lord, and the ranks of Sun Ce swelled. But even more believed in the ultimate mandate of Xia Han and Qin Tao, succumbing to defeat in battle or resigning from their ranks to join that of the Xia/Qin faction.

From one city, Xia Han was proposed to by all to declare himself 'King of Man' (Declaration of one's Dynasty is region-dependent, doh! I made it a play on words, as in King of all men everywhere), humbly accepting his rightful position and naming Qin Tao his Warlord and Supreme with his eventual succession to Emperor of Man. The world bowed at his feet, conquering the false Sun/Tang Empire in Ji, and uniting the land in the Spring of year 228.

Qin Tao went on to become One of the Three Dukes, although he was it's highest leader, and was acompannied by Zhu Zhi and Zhou Xin. Together, they maintained the country throughout their lifetime and their reputation as gods. Zu Mao became Grand Commander of the Army, ensuring the sound defense and peacefulness of the Empire of Man.

Xia Hanbei, Xia Han's Crown Prince was bestowed the position of Prime Minister, ruling the country in his father's stead, while always earning the approval of his father.

A monument of respect was erected for Xia Han's old friend and liege, Sun Jian, as well as his relative and Xia Han/Qin Tao's close friend, Sun Huan.

The end.

Xia Han's Starting Stats: 80, 80, 80, 80
Ending Stats: 110, 110, 110, 110 (100)
Ending Fame and Deeds: 60,000
Starting Age: 17
Ending Age: 55
Starting Rank: Commoner
Mid-Game Rank: Prefect and Cavalier
End-Game Rank: Emperor of Man
Starting Amount of Skills: 8
Ending Amount of Skills: ALL except Oracle

Qin Tao's Starting Stats: 70, 90, 90, 70
Ending Stats: 110, 110, 110, 100
Ending Fame and Deeds: 55,000
Starting Age: 17
Ending Age: 55
Starting Rank: Commoner
Mid-Game Rank: Warlord and Supreme
End-Game Rank: Warlord and Supreme + DUKE.
Starting Amount of Skills: 8
Ending Amount of Skills: All except mystical and Oracle
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby josefrees » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:32 am

Good thread I've learned a lot. Just started a new save because I don't have my old one and having a lot of fun. Put a lot of hours in this when it first came to PS2 and thankfully it works! (8,10,11 all don't work for me anymore) and have already had the one turn more feeling keep me up all night haha. I'm just going to post a few tips and questions for anyone that ever reads this. The FAQs are a great refresher as well

1) Training. Besides the trust level and study skill is there any other determining factor to learning skills? Feel like sometimes I could spend a whole game trying to learn a skill. Is it INT or the corresponding skills level or just random? I'm tempted to just save 200 AP and save scum.
2) Tutoring. Is learning skills via tutoring really that rare?
3) Prefects. How dependable are they? Some seem to be more effective than others despite close stats it seems. do bonds develop between other officers or am I the only one with dynamic bonds? It makes sense to keep officers that were close irl together in game but I am just wondering the opinion on it.
4)Bless. what is the quickest way to get bless? Or rather fastest way to acquire fame? I am mostly trying to get the last four items so I am thinking of finding a high fame character with high war as well.
5)Cities. What would you say are the best cities to start in as a liege? Also, any close group of cities that offer resources to build different unit types?
6) one tip for gaining officers. Anywhere you see a battle, send a spy. You have first crack at officer who changed lieges. When a ruler gets killed or dies, spy as many cities as you can. Once you get a few guys from each faction you can get a lot with a high loyalty as well with bonded officers. I feel like that is the value of some of the worse characters. Who they know.
7) The Oracle skill in one of the faq says in battle it can extend life randomly. Wonder if this is able to be done more than once.

I am curious whether you are more likely to depose the emperor or keep Han alive. I always try and keep Han
josefrees
Tyro

Unread postby Enganacious » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:42 pm

josefrees wrote:1) Training. Besides the trust level and study skill is there any other determining factor to learning skills? Feel like sometimes I could spend a whole game trying to learn a skill. Is it INT or the corresponding skills level or just random? I'm tempted to just save 200 AP and save scum.

There isn't a whole lot more to it. It's just not terribly easy to learn skills even with max trust + Study.

2) Tutoring. Is learning skills via tutoring really that rare?

It's about the same as training for it on your own, just costs more AP.

3) Prefects. How dependable are they? Some seem to be more effective than others despite close stats it seems. do bonds develop between other officers or am I the only one with dynamic bonds? It makes sense to keep officers that were close irl together in game but I am just wondering the opinion on it.

You want characters with high stats, generally good personalities (which usually corresponds), and good bond. Unfortunately those same officers often make really good officers for an army.

4)Bless. what is the quickest way to get bless? Or rather fastest way to acquire fame? I am mostly trying to get the last four items so I am thinking of finding a high fame character with high war as well.

The best way to acquire fame is to win battles. And that's the only way of getting it. You could use the hidden officer Crazy Horse who has it by default and unlock the items that way.

5)Cities. What would you say are the best cities to start in as a liege? Also, any close group of cities that offer resources to build different unit types?

Any with high populations like Xu Chang or Cheng Du are usually best.

7) The Oracle skill in one of the faq says in battle it can extend life randomly. Wonder if this is able to be done more than once.

Yes.

I am curious whether you are more likely to depose the emperor or keep Han alive. I always try and keep Han

Deposing the Emperor reduces officer loyalty a good chunk for most guys, it's also a relatively pointless decision in terms of the game outcome, iirc.
Enganacious
Tyro

Unread postby Jeremiah » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:45 pm

One of my favorite moments of RTK VII occured many years ago (at least 8-10), and though some of the details are a little murky now, the result and my feeling afterwards are still strong.

I would've been controlling Shu as Liu Bei, but don't remember which general I was controlling in the particular battle I'm about to mention. But having just taken one of the fiefs somewhere in the central plains, I only had two generals in the city and no chance to send reinforcements before Cao Cao hit me with a huge counter attack.

I didn't have enough troops to meet him head on. Having just sacked the city myself, the castle walls were weak and defending that way was out too. Finally, I did not have the rations to starve them out. So I resigned myself to my fate.

I took my two generals out of the castle and rode straight for Cao Cao's invading army. I was going to go out in a blaze of glory, Last Samurai style. And then it happened. I stumbled on Cao Cao himself. For some unfathomable reason, he'd ridden far ahead of his other units. So me and my other general caught him between us, and hit him with dual charges before Cao Cao's other units could arrive to save him.

Once Cao Cao lost, having been the lead general, his other units automatically retreated. After the battle I executed Cao Cao. Wei broke apart very soon after, with several different warlords rebeling and breaking away.

It was one of the most unexpected and satisfying moments of my RTK career.
Jeremiah
Tyro

Unread postby Jeremiah » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Does anyone remember how to stop that damn Xianbei invasion? I used to remember how about 10 years ago, but not since I started replaying it. Someone earlier said high safety in all your provinces, but that isn't it. I've already done it. Was there a certain number of conscripted troops you couldn't go over in a province? I seem to remember thinking that was it.
Jeremiah
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Yeah, you need to have below a certain number of troops per officer (not province). A quick google turned up 12,000 but I can't confirm if that's right.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jeremiah » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Yeah, you need to have below a certain number of troops per officer (not province). A quick google turned up 12,000 but I can't confirm if that's right.

It works on easy, but not hard. I wonder if the number is different on hard.

Another shit ending I've been getting recently that I never got before is this new one where they talk about after becoming Emperor, my character never listens to anyone, and is always making changes in personnel and whatnot. It isn't fatal, it doesn't result in the infamous Xianbei ending. It just means you don't get regarded as the celestial emperor or whatever.

What the hell could cause that ending? My only theory is that it is because I set my stupid cities to "wait" to keep them from building up troops (which they will do under any other setting, even domestic) and then refusing a billion requests for them to move to the one border city I have left in the game while trying to get everything right for the good ending.

It sucks, man. Only in Koei world can LESS troops result in a devastating foreign invasion, while having few or none guarantees a 400-year invasion free dynasty.
Jeremiah
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms