RTK VI Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI?

Yes
79%
No
5%
Unsure…
2%
Never Played It…
15%

Total votes : 62

Unread postby Grimith » Fri May 02, 2008 1:47 am

I tend to be torn between my enjoyment for Wall of Fire and my enjoyment of Awakening of the Dragon. I like playing IV because of the SNES-feel of the game, and I like the tunes that play in it. Also, not having to worry about guarding a supply tent is fun. Setting all of my non-capital cities to delegated status is pretty nifty, too, as is the ability to just roam like a vagabond throughout the countryside, leaving empty cities as I tear apart all of the other rulers. I like playing VI for the inverses of those reasons, along with the really sweet officer system. I hate how bribes of gold in IV can jack the loyalty of all of your officers to 100; VI is much more realistic in that aspect. Also, I thoroughly enjoy the dueling; it gives me a sense of empowerment (or defeat).

My major problem with VI is the tendency for the AI to leave its commanding unit on the supply tent whenever it attacks an opponent. I can understand leaving a weak guard back there, but the AI unit tends to have the most troops under its commanding officer, effectively killing some of its advantage. When that is combined with all of the arrows my units fire at the attackers as they try to defeat my commanding officer in his fort... and it gets really ugly for the computer, really fast. There have been times in the game when I only have a handful of cities and can say with some confidence, "This looks like it's going to be mop-up from here."

However, my latest game has thrown me a monkey wrench - which is actually why I'm here. In the He-Bei scenario, I (with a created ruler who started next to Liu Biao and Sun Ce) have run into a problem I cannot solve. The other powers on the map towards the end of the game were Yuan Tan (who was down to a few cities), Gongsun Gong (bless the hearts of those Gongsuns), and the Wuwan King. Before I polished off Yuan Tan, I decided to make Gongsun Gong my vassal - I just didn't want to go through the hassle of finishing him off. He, of course, accepted, because I had almost the entirety of China.

Unfortunately, whenever I finished off Yuan Tan, the game didn't end. I presumed this was because the Wuwan King was still in the game - he technically counts as a ruler, I believe, so I needed to go conquer his city in order for the game to be over.

However, I can't conquer his city. Gongsun Gong is in the way.

In the many games I've played with VI, by the time I get to the end, I seldom bother with making vassals - and, when I do, I completely surround them and they aren't controlling any major chokepoint. My laziness in this game, however, has proven to be frustrating. See, Gongsun Gong is in control of the city of Bei Ping. Behind him, which I have zero access to, are the cities of the Wuwan King and an uncontrolled city. In order to get to them, I'd have to go through Gongsun Gong... but I can't. He won't accept another warning to become my retainer instead of my vassal, and the game tells me I cannot attack him. There's no "annul overseer" option, as far as I can tell. I tried giving ol' Gongie gifts to get him down to zero animosity, but he didn't accept my warning then; I then threatened him enough to get him up to 100 animosity, but he didn't break away from me.

As a result, eight months after I defeated Yuan Tan, I've still been stuck in the game. The game refuses to allow me to attack Gongie. Gongie won't attack me. The Wuwan King won't attack Gongie, either - perhaps this is because the barbarians take pity on you if you're only controlling one city.

I'm a bit flummoxed on what to do, as a result. Short of loading the game to before I ever made Gongsun Gong my vassal (which is doable, but it'd just be annoying to go through those last few months of taking Yuan Tan's cities again... although I probably could have done it in the time it took me to write all of this), I don't see any alternative for me solving this problem.

Given the activity on this thread, I'm not expecting any quick answers. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to resolve this situation, short of me loading. As much as I'd like to execute Yuan Tan all over again, I don't want to have to go through the cycle of recruiting/releasing/imprisoning his thirty-four other officers. :P

- Edit from Next Day: Solved it by loading before I made Gongsun Gong my vassal. It wasn't that far back; just a few months. Everything is all fine and well with me as the new emperor of China. I am still curious to know if anyone else experienced this problem, or knows of another way to solve it besides loading.
Grimith
Tyro

Re: RTK VI Discussion Thread

Unread postby Bon-Di » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Sorry to bump.

Got a quick question, concerning adding players into the game... is it possible to add them or take over a CPU-controlled ruler into it mid-game during a Full Scenario?
Bon-Di
Tyro

Unread postby Tao Lu » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:26 pm

I've just been skimming through the forums and reading quite a bit of information. I figured I'd post in the thread of a game I have played.

Pros:
-Separate civil and military phases.
-Battle is much more intuitive and you don't simply need to overwhelm opposing forces with numbers.
-Streamlined civil phase. Not needing to put money towards building farms etc (not having it run out more to the point).
-All of your resources (gold and grain) pooled into one lump sum.
-Inet... so pro.
-Officer dreams
-Any officer can perform the find / recruit function
-Being able to move officers directly to your city of choice.
-Dueling is great and a much more useful tactic.
-The addition of the champion officer is great (although I game genie'd with a friend of mine and created a BA officer core of 15 or so).

Cons:
-The music in IV was far superior.
-Inet not applying to "fog of war" (you can view any city details with 0 inet).
-Not being able to have officers who aren't in the capital use the find function.
-No siege weapons or the ability to make crossbows (big time fail imo)

Overall, this game is great. I've completed it with each of the historic three kingdoms rulers and my own created dynasty, war Tao Lu! After having played IV for about 5 years and moving on to this one it was a welcome change even though the concept was exactly the same. This game can be quite challenging if you choose a small force in a small city on the advanced level. Sun Ce in 194 is really fun and is my current campaign.

That's all for now, wicked bumpage of an old thread!
Tao Lu
Apprentice

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:13 pm

I don't know if anyone with the game is reading, but I just got it and have a question; how does a ruler that isn't controlling the Emperor increase his title? I'm playing the Unification Of He-Bei short scenario, and one of the requirements is to get a certain rank.

I don't see any option to ask the controler (Cao Cao) for a title. What do I do? Do I just have to hope Cao Cao offers me titles suddenly? I only have one year left in the time limit.

Edit2: Okay, I cleared the short scenario and started a full one. I seem to be getting Title offers at random. Is there anyway to make them happen more often? Also, any better way to raise PR then carrying Long searches and hoping tigers appear?

Edit: Also, how do you raise officer loyalty? I suspect it involves following the officer's dreams but it isn't always clear what some dreams want. I've tried Talking to officers, but it didn't seem to do much.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rolen47 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:48 am

Any tips for the short scenario "Emperor Yuan Shu"? I can't seem to beat it. In a guide by Marcus Dion he recomends becoming Sun Ce's ally, but that's impossible! He has 100 Anti! ...

This scenario is terrible, everyone is out to kill Yuan Shu and I just can't save up enough Gold to build an Imperial City (need to save up 20,000). Yuan Shu doesn't start with many officers and if I am able to hire anybody they have low loyalty and I can't raise it....

Marcus Dions guide says this scenario is supposed to be quick and easy, but I don't understand why he thinks that...
Rolen47
Tyro

Unread postby Frankster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I started playing this again recently and I have a question. Where is the seal located? I'm playing the 2nd scenario if that helps at all
Frankster
Tyro

Unread postby Tao Lu » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Frankster wrote:I started playing this again recently and I have a question. Where is the seal located? I'm playing the 2nd scenario if that helps at all

I can't remember if it actually exists in game or not. I think it's taken out because you can actually "control" the emperor.
Tao Lu
Apprentice

Unread postby AxeLordGerardo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Before nothing, forgive my basic english :lol: :

I had the pleasure to play this title some days ago, and i have to say ive fallen in love with it. I think this is the perfect way to do a decent ROTK. By now, the best feature for me is to see what are the ambitions and thoughts of each ruler before commence the game, even those not so importants like Qiao Mao, Kong Zhou or even the ever energic Ding Yuan. In newer titles, this "individual province view point" has literally dissapeared, centrated only in the main ones. I think it is important that Koei retrieve this important detail and can add it again in future ROTK games. I think we all like to see what´s happening in our force, what talk our officers in that scenario, see & live the other side of the battle, like Dynasty Warriors, when you chose to play Guan Du with Yuan Shao. What are talking Gongsun Zan and their people before fight Yuan Shao at Jie Qiao? What was happening in Xi Liang? What was thinking Ma Teng before he went to the capital to be surprised by Cao Cao´s deadly ambush? There is not only a 3 kingdoms plot here, there are as many plots as rulers and warlords in the later Han, so i think every ruler in each scenario must have his own part of the story... or should i say the history?
Cao Cao - Liu Bei - Sun Jian - Yuan Shao
AxeLordGerardo
Student

Unread postby leonn » Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 pm

This is my first ROTK on PS1 and I'd say I got hooked on this game and played this over and over. I like the movie parts of the game for the yellow turban and up until Sun Ce's rule. Unlike the newer versions of the ROTK like XI or XII it gives a more feel of the story and cutscenes.
leonn
Tyro

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Yup, it is their strongest kingdom management game.

If only we could patch the battle exploits, this would be a challenging game.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms