RTK VI Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI?

Yes
79%
No
5%
Unsure…
2%
Never Played It…
15%

Total votes : 62

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:25 am

I agree that things such as internal conflict need to be further addressed, as scheming within factions played an integral role in the politics of the time. In RTK VI, your officers can become discontent with you, but rarely enough to leave and it can be remedied by simply talking to them. There are also suppose to be rival factions that can grow out of succession disputes and extreme officer discontent, but I've never seen it personally.

The trick to the whole thing though, is how to create a game that can potentially progress according to history and yet retain an atmosphere where the player feels they still have total control over the shaping of the nation. Koei has a long road ahead of them if they hope to do this, because their series would have to go through an extreme makeover. That is the main reason why I'd support independent Three Kingdoms projects, it's simply unlikely that Koei can meet all of our needs, or even come close. I'm actually quite pleased that the games don't follow a strict historical story, and I know you're not suggesting that, but I think Koei has done a fair job of finding the middle ground. There could be changes and I wouldn't mind if the likelihood of a historical progression increased, but I'm content for now.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby arkaeyn » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:22 pm

This kind of goes hand in hand with the games being too easy - never being threatened by a revolt means fast expansion is possible. Speaking of which, I started a new ROTK6 game with Liu Bei in 189, which is usually, as I recall, a quick way to lose. With only the brothers and Jian Yong and no good warlord, you're an easy target for Yuan Shao. But Xu Huang and Lu Su showed up at my gates. Nobody has attacked me. And I'm currently tearing through Tao Qian/Chen Gui and carving out a kingdom in Wu. I suppose if Yuan Shao were to attack me now I might get in a bit of trouble, and maybe problems could arise when I take on Cao Cao...but right now, I'm not feeling threatened at all. Bleh.

Anyway, I'm feeling slightly more confident that my game could one day get made. The Nintendo DS offers a low development cost combined with a control scheme well-suited for strategy games (not to mention the dual screens offering certain opportunities) Alternately, sites like this one - http://www.costik.com/weblog/2005_09_01_blogchive.html#112751023848334701 are trying to create viable independent gaming markets on the PC.

I can post some of my design concepts if you're interested. I believe the Koei games are excessively complex, slow, easy, rigid, narrowly focused and ahistorical and have written a few paragraphs on each (and how to get around it)
arkaeyn
Student

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:26 am

arkaeyn wrote:I can post some of my design concepts if you're interested. I believe the Koei games are excessively complex, slow, easy, rigid, narrowly focused and ahistorical and have written a few paragraphs on each (and how to get around it)

I think many people agree with these things, or at the very least, that the AI in the games is excessively easy to defeat. Here's a thread where members have contributed some of their ideas for a better RTK game. I'd definitely like to see your ideas as well, so feel free to lay it on us:

http://www.the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=12846
Zhang Liao17

Re: How to be emperor?

Unread postby Beauty Warrior Zhou » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:11 am

rtkemperor wrote:How to I get the emperor title in Rtk VI ?

Audition with the Emperor till Prime Minister, and end up getting all the land and game ends. =(

You can become Emperor in RoTK VI:
1. You Have The Hereditary Seal.
2. Emperor Xiang is not on your possesion.
3. You have one or more officer(s) who has "Advance" dream.
Talk to one of your officer with advance dream, and they will ask an audience to make you as emperor. Agree with him and you become emperor.

4. Play as new ruler (created officer) in last scenario ( "Year 234: The Falling of The Han", I guess... I dont exactly remember the scenario title). In this scenario, you don't even need the hereditary seal or officer with advance dream, instead with advisor dream.

But remember if you become emperor, another force anti will inrease against you, your PR will decrease but your officers loyalty will increase greatly. (See what happen to "fool" Yuan Shu).
If you fight for your right,
you will fight till you die
If you fight for your responsibility
you will end with happiness
-Sutjipto Subeno-
Beauty Warrior Zhou
Scholar

Re: RTK VI Discussion Thread

Unread postby Beauty Warrior Zhou » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:57 am

Zhang Liao17 wrote:Version 3.0. Make sure you post in this one a lot so it doesn't go away! :lol:

Some of the reasons I love this game:

I like most of this game, but still I hate:
-The officers stats not always at maximum as they have (green color). Ex: Zhou Yu INT only 64 when he was 18 years old, and become 89 when he get 20. But It get very long time if you want to see his true ability on all his stats (ex: INT:97), or never at all if you don't take him in much war as general or strategist. But even if he get his max stats, it can decrease again :>.
-If you want to search/find officer, you have to know historically which force the ruler and the officer you want to search are; wei, shu or wu. Ex: If I play as Sun Ce as always (historically: Wu) and I ask Zhou Yu (historically: Wu) to find new talent, say Zhou Yu succesful (as ussual) find an officer (say Huang Zhong of Chang Sa, historically: Shu). The result Huang Zhong loyalty will be 100. But if I ask someone from Shu (say, Dong Yun) or Wei (say, Man Chong) to find, even they find an officer orriginally from Wu (say, Lu Su), the result is Lu Su loyalty 85 or even worst.
This condition forced me to placed many officer from wu in my capital. Even my capital become rear city (far from border).
-I hate to see other force who enggaged in battle, but the result is just "unconclusive".

But I admire this game better then other RoTK except RoTK IX (not the duel offcourse).
If you fight for your right,
you will fight till you die
If you fight for your responsibility
you will end with happiness
-Sutjipto Subeno-
Beauty Warrior Zhou
Scholar

Re: RTK VI Discussion Thread

Unread postby rtkemperor » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:02 pm

u can switch to fiction mode, "Compat." - fiction.

Beauty Warrior Zhou wrote:
Zhang Liao17 wrote:Version 3.0. Make sure you post in this one a lot so it doesn't go away! :lol:

Some of the reasons I love this game:

I like most of this game, but still I hate:
-The officers stats not always at maximum as they have (green color). Ex: Zhou Yu INT only 64 when he was 18 years old, and become 89 when he get 20. But It get very long time if you want to see his true ability on all his stats (ex: INT:97), or never at all if you don't take him in much war as general or strategist. But even if he get his max stats, it can decrease again :>.
-If you want to search/find officer, you have to know historically which force the ruler and the officer you want to search are; wei, shu or wu. Ex: If I play as Sun Ce as always (historically: Wu) and I ask Zhou Yu (historically: Wu) to find new talent, say Zhou Yu succesful (as ussual) find an officer (say Huang Zhong of Chang Sa, historically: Shu). The result Huang Zhong loyalty will be 100. But if I ask someone from Shu (say, Dong Yun) or Wei (say, Man Chong) to find, even they find an officer orriginally from Wu (say, Lu Su), the result is Lu Su loyalty 85 or even worst.
This condition forced me to placed many officer from wu in my capital. Even my capital become rear city (far from border).
-I hate to see other force who enggaged in battle, but the result is just "unconclusive".

But I admire this game better then other RoTK except RoTK IX (not the duel offcourse).
rtkemperor
Tyro

Peeves

Unread postby QuocHung » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:43 am

Maybe it's just, but don't you guys hate when a disaster strike. It peeves me when my cities' stats are not perfect. I hate having to move officers around to restore the damage. It takes to long to manuveur plus it takes forvever to rebuild the city status.
"Without a shadow of a doubt, I am second to none." Well maybe________.
QuocHung
Tyro

Unread postby Ma Meng Han » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:11 pm

Hi! ROTK 6 is my favorite game in the series too, but since everyone mentioned all the great features it has I'll make this short:

-Unsatisfaction: In other games you just need to get the loyalty up to 100 and then have no worries, but in this one if your PR gets too low or you're not talking to or using an officer they'll get unsatisfied and start complaining even if they are 100 loyal.

-Emperor: The emperor is an unsignificant person in other ROTKs but he's very important in this one because he gives out titles. Higher title = higher amount of troops you and your officers can command. Which makes sense, since people won't just follow anyone. Also, I like how they're more interactive, other games you just get a choice to support or replace and that's it, in ROTK 6 you can use the emperor to gives out titles and get other forces to attack each other or just make an audience to obey they're commands.

-Generals: Sometimes when you have a general with a "Do things my own way" attitude they'll show it by ignoring your commands in battles. For example sometimes I'll let Wei Yan sit and guard the supply tent but then he'll be like "Screw you, I'm doing things my own way!" and charges off to fight.

-Duels: Best thing is that civil officers and strategists aren't completely useless in duels, since they have skills that warriors don't have, like Fake Info to trick them into retreating or Exchange to have someone else take their place (I think they're adding that in the new ROTK game?) Seduce to draw them into an ambush. So Cao Cao can win against Guan Yu if the timing is right.

-Talk: The only thing the talk command in other games does is just increase your friendship with the other person but here you gets plentyfull hints and tips about how to play (indirectly of course) and you get to know how your officers are feeling (Unsatisfied, getting old) and some suggestions plus the holding council thing is too cool! Where you pick the people to attend (wish you could have more than 6 :().

There's probably a million other things that I haven't mentioned but this is a HUGE game even though it may not look like it at first.

I have a question now, when I send out my officers on long trips they come across tigers, people to recruits, people to learn from..etc, etc. And sometimes you get items when they defeat bandits or yellow turbans. But can you find the Imperial Seal this way? Because I started in the Dong Zhuo scenario with fiction mode (but all options set to history, just no events) so Sun Jian/Sun Ce/Yuan Shu don't have it.
Ma Meng Han
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:56 pm

I've searched long and hard for the Imperial Seal in the 189 scenario and never seem to find it. I'd always figured it'd be in Luo Yang, but numerous long searches never yielded anything. Has anyone ever found the seal in that scenario?

Those were all great points too. I also adore the council and getting to select officers to bring and listen to your situation. That's the major reason RTK VI has always been my favorite. These games are all really about the characters and in that installment they are all true to history and also have a spirit of their own and seem real. The Emperor's importance was also a hugely significant touch that I wish was in the other games. He played such a role in the early Three Kingdoms era and having possession of him can do a lot for your kingdom, just like it would in the real era.
Zhang Liao17

Unread postby Cow Pie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:29 am

I've had an item disappearing phenomenom. Like when Yuan Shu gets beaten in the Warring Lords the Seal just disappears. In the same scenario & the same game Lu Bu lost his Crescent Halbred and Red Hare when Cao Cao beat him. Cao Cao kept the Red Hare but apparently threw the Halbred in the lake cause nobody in the game had it.

oh and while I'm asking that I'll get this one off my chest too. ANyone have any tips for the last two scenarios on how you can get your officers not to start off saying things like "My lord it seems you no longer have the desire to gain power." - If I get the same message -after- I completely dominate Jing then there is a def. problem.
Cow Pie
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms