RTK VI Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI?

Yes
79%
No
5%
Unsure…
2%
Never Played It…
15%

Total votes : 62

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:35 pm

I think one of my generals ended up with retirement dream, he just ended up wanting to do nothing too. I left him in a back city with no action.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby arkaeyn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:02 pm

Finally got my hands on ROTK6. First impressions:

I dig the personality aspect of the game. It seems far more in-depth than 7 or 8 did, which shouldn't make sense, but there you go. Also, the game seems much more streamlined - officers continue working where they worked before, don't have to assign them every turn. Big ups to that. Combat is the same way, I like just being able to watch and give orders when I need to, not make every single goddamn move.

In fact, the only thing about this game that is worse, so far, than ROTK 7&8 is the music. So why did they make worse sequels?
arkaeyn
Student

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:59 am

I love the music on VI. Especially Cao Cao's tune after he has built a fairly large empire. I think he has it when the 207 scenario starts.

Also, I'm not much of a fan of VII and VIII either. Poor games by RTK standards. VII is just a number crunching game without any real character depth and VIII is just an improvement on VII's system. VI is where the series peaks for me, certainly the best and not likely to be topped. IX was ok and I like X a lot with the exception of a few things, but until Koei stops trying to re-invent the series with every game and starts to simply build off a solid base (read: RTK VI) then they will probably never make a better game.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby arkaeyn » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:27 am

The music has improved slightly, as time progressed. I started a couple of early scenarios with pretty boring map music. Knowing that it improves as time goes on helps things.

I'm playing as Liu Yan in the 189 scenario. Kinda tough, with no officers strong in war, so I'm sitting around fighting the foreigners occasionally. The dominant force in my game around 196, is the faction you'd expect: Han Fu.

I'm not sure if "reinventing the wheel" is the correct phrase for the ROTK games. Maybe "repainting the wheel." It's not they make huge changes, but they seem to prefer change over improvement. ROTK 6 seems to be a good base, but it doesn't look like it's quite good enough for me to shelve my plans to one day make my own Three Kingdoms game. heh.
arkaeyn
Student

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:43 am

arkaeyn wrote:The dominant force in my game around 196, is the faction you'd expect: Han Fu.

:lol: I don't think I've seen that one before.

arkaeyn wrote:they seem to prefer change over improvement.

Exactly the problem. You're correct that they don't make drastic changes, but they seem to do just enough to make it feel like they're taking a few steps back, then a few forward and never really getting anywhere in the end.

arkaeyn wrote:ROTK 6 seems to be a good base, but it doesn't look like it's quite good enough for me to shelve my plans to one day make my own Three Kingdoms game. heh.

I hope you do, I love the thought of RTK fans making their own games and putting away all of the faults that Koei misses. If I ever learn how, it's something I'd like to do some day as well. As it stands, VI is just the best base that Koei has come up with and I hope they realize that and make moves toward improvement of a solid system.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:03 pm

I really enjoy the music. It still feels to have the classic feel and seems to be the most soothing atleast.

Empire of Questions, remix was awesome.

I may look to host rtk6, 8 and 9 music.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

How to be emperor?

Unread postby rtkemperor » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:04 pm

How to I get the emperor title in Rtk VI ?

Audition with the Emperor till Prime Minister, and end up getting all the land and game ends. =(
rtkemperor
Tyro

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:11 pm

You can either complete the game, and depending on how you rule (and maybe your dream) and become Emperor.

Otherwise, when you talk to your officer, if one of your has the advance dream or empire one, he can suggest you take the title, providing you have the Seal!

I also think there is a point where the ruler abdicates in favour of your kind rule during the game.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby arkaeyn » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:11 am

The Han Fu dominant game had to end, sadly, as I created a bunch of new officers and playing it would have lost them. Since then I've been playing the Yellow Turban scenario as Ding Yuan then Lu Bu. I was very impressed by how nail-biting the first 15-20 years were. In other ROTK games, it seemed that you either were strong initially or dead initially. In 6, I was actually able to hunker down, withstand some very difficult battles, such as a defeat that cost me my faction leader (Ding Yuan) and two of my three strongest generals (Zhang Liao and Yan Liang) and then gain momentum and now have possibly the strongest faction in 209.

Oddly enough, as the old faction leaders die, they seem to keep being replaced by Dynasty Warriors. Liu Zhang was executed, so when Liu Yan died, Guan Yu took over. Tao Qian was followed by Chen Gui and Deng in quick order, with Zhao Yun taking over. And the surprise faction of Kong Zhou in the central plains was the big mover and shaker in the first part of the game, managing to fight off both Sun Ce and Dong Zhuo until I took Xu Chang and Kong Zhou died, to be replaced by Ma Chao.

That said, there are a few things that are annoying me. It's 209 and Dong Zhuo is still alive, with no rebellions against him. The last major historical scene ended with Yuan Shao and Cao Cao saying they'd keep an eye on him, but no rebellions. I believe that the biggest flaw in Koei's ROTK games is a lack of attempted, let alone successful, rebellions. That would be the first thing I'd remedy in my game.

Likewise, if you're not going to have your officers die of anything except very old age and executions, then there's a problem. Maybe they should be able to die of wounds. It doesn't help that the astrologer came and told Lu Bu he'd live til 233. No need to worry about a successor, though one of my created officers IS Lu Lingqi.
arkaeyn
Student

Unread postby arkaeyn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:00 am

It's 216 and the game is all but over. I finished Dong Zhuo off in Nanman territory, after finally winning a brutal campaign for Chang An (he was coming from Han Zhong, I was fighting back from Luo Yang) had battles every other month for 207-08. As things stand, I have half or more of the territory, decent sized armies and good officers. My remaining opponents managed, cleverly, to put together armies with no officers (the Sun clan) or officers with no armies (Zhao Yun has 2 cities, 24 officers, and...200 troops.)

Roughly the only thing which would stand in my way is a succession war. Lu Lingqi died, shockingly, in 216, and I don't have anyone else who would have a great claim to the throne. Zhang Liao would be the obvious choice, but he spent a few years with the Yellow Turbans. My Warlord, Jia Xu, and other general with staying power, Xu Huang, both were captured and imprisoned a few times. I've also picked up most of the Caos from Dong Zhuo, and I'm sure they'd love the job. But the character I think would be most deserving is...Hao Zhao? He's been effective at everything, good stats, fought in several battles as a general and as an advisor, and has run my spy network since I got him. And I'd love to see "Hao Zhao is the new Emperor of China!"

Not that it matters, as the astrologer told Lu Bu he'd live until 233. In my game, succession conflicts will matter. Dammit.
arkaeyn
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms