RTK PC Help Thread (Compatibility, etc.)

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Was this thread helpful to you? [No Prune]

Yes
30%
No
16%
Kittens!
54%

Total votes : 50

English RTK4 PC help

Unread postby SailorCallie » Sat May 13, 2006 4:51 pm

bombshellboi wrote:Hi.
I dont know if anyone can help me - but this is really annoying me so i signed up to ask on here.

I downloaded the english PC version of RTK 4 - just for nostalgias sake mostly - but it doesnt seem to work.

I know that XP users have trouble running the game but im not an XP user. I still have 98 cos i have a rake load of older games I still like to play everyone one and a while which XP just refuses to run.

Im quite at a loss.

Same here, but my computer keeps telling me that I need a 256-color display driver, and I'm using WinXP. :(

How can I get the English PC version of RTK4 to run under WinXP without any problems whatsoever?
SailorCallie
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat May 13, 2006 6:22 pm

After you download the file, unzipped it, and installed it (use the setup.exe), find the executable file on the computer ("RTK4Win.exe"). Right-click on it and go to the "properties" tab. Under "Compatibility", set it to "run in compatibility mode for Win98/ME", and then set "display settings" to "Run in 256 colors". Voila!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby SailorCallie » Sat May 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Lady Wu wrote:After you download the file, unzipped it, and installed it (use the setup.exe), find the executable file on the computer ("RTK4Win.exe"). Right-click on it and go to the "properties" tab. Under "Compatibility", set it to "run in compatibility mode for Win98/ME", and then set "display settings" to "Run in 256 colors". Voila!

Thanks a million!! It was the compatibility mode that I've overlooked in the first place. :oops:
SailorCallie
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat May 13, 2006 9:37 pm

SailorCallie wrote:Thanks a million!! It was the compatibility mode that I've overlooked in the first place. :oops:

Glad to be of service! (I spent years not knowing how to do this myself, until someone on the board enlightened me...)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Ktulu-Dragon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:37 pm

I have the same problem with Rotk4. I changed the compatibility and colour settings, but i have a problem that I can't see anything unless I click on it, and I cant click on every item on screen, and then when you get to a new screen ( ie. battle ) you have to click on every thing again. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Ktulu-Dragon
Tyro

Unread postby sethsez » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:43 am

The exact same thing happens to me when I want to play it. Unfortunately I don't have a solution.
sethsez
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:34 am

Weird. I don't know the solution to that one. Would shrinking/moving the window around help?
Lady Wu

Unread postby Arkard » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:54 am

Wondering about creating characters (in XI), I read about the language switch thingie but does that allow me to write anything english to the name boxes? If not, I might as well go with the generated names..

I'm guessing there's no loader for San11 that allows us to type english characters (like with the previous game)

Edit: Figured it out. Export your chara, open it up in hex editor and edit the name there (first line address code 5 for surname and 9 for first name) Edi2:t2: skipepd th ephase and went straight for makedata.s11
Arkard
Initiate

Unread postby Jiang Wei™ » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:16 am

Ktulu-Dragon wrote:I have the same problem with Rotk4. I changed the compatibility and colour settings, but i have a problem that I can't see anything unless I click on it, and I cant click on every item on screen, and then when you get to a new screen ( ie. battle ) you have to click on every thing again. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

I have that problem too.. And I tried to minimize my windows. After that, I maximize again, and it's worked! I can see everything without clicking on it! But for new screen, I must repeat this again..Maybe you should try this trick too..
You're trully the best, Prime Minister.

= Justice will Prevail! =
Jiang Wei™
Assistant

RTK II

Unread postby jiggyne55 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:53 pm

robbyjo wrote:Okay, I posted a guide on how to run old KOEI games here:
http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=11605

Hope this helps,
-- Rob

Hey this link no longer works i was wondering if you did get a chance to set up a new one because ive been trying to get this version to run in color for XP for years.
jiggyne55
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms