RTK PC Help Thread (Compatibility, etc.)

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Was this thread helpful to you? [No Prune]

Yes
30%
No
16%
Kittens!
54%

Total votes : 50

RTK PC Help Thread (Compatibility, etc.)

Unread postby N » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:03 pm

i Cant seem to play version 2 on XP. even changing the "main" properties to suit XP in the "compatibility". any advice ?
N
Tyro

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:52 pm

I don't know how to answer your question, but for the benefit of other members I am going to turn this into a general PC help thread. I have seen a lot of members having problems getting games running, so maybe some others will be able to offer some help.

EDIT: For clarification, this thread is specifically for help regarding Romance of the Three Kingdoms games on PC systems.
Last edited by Kong Wen on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby robbyjo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Install DosBox: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
Then, play it from the dosbox. Let me know if you have problem. The trick is to mount both drive A and B to the RTK2 game directory and then run it in A directory. It should have music with it.

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Fei Yi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:13 pm

I have aproblem. I play RTK IX on PC with a few english patches. The trick for them to work is setting the language settings to Chinese for windows. However, since I've installed service pack 2, the patches only work partially. The same things are translated as when you set your language settings to English. Has anyone else encountered this problem and knows a remedy...:)
All we need to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us... "Gandalf the grey"

Death smiles to us all...., all we can do is smile back... "Marcus Aurelius"

Freedom lies behind the boundries we've created ourselves...
Fei Yi
Sage

Unread postby bombshellboi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Hi.
I dont know if anyone can help me - but this is really annoying me so i signed up to ask on here.

I downloaded the english PC version of RTK 4 - just for nostalgias sake mostly - but it doesnt seem to work.
Well it does but it causes my computer to crash at odd moments and without warning - without fail every time i try and play it.

At first I thought maybe the downlaod had been corrupted - but I have downloaded from 4 seperate locations 8 times and it still crashes.
I know that XP users have trouble running the game but im not an XP user. I still have 98 cos i have a rake load of older games I still like to play everyone one and a while which XP just refuses to run.

Im quite at a loss.
bombshellboi
Apprentice

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:35 pm

I might as well share what I have learned about these games if this thread is going to stick around longer than the many which came before it. These old English RTK games are just that; old. They generally do not like Windows XP and like a proper DOS environment to run. Due to changes in XP, this can make these games stubborn to say the least.

I believe there is an option under properties for the .exe files that allows you to change the environment in which these old games are run, and that should allow you to play them if you set it up properly. I don’t recall off the top of my head exactly how to do this, but the option should be there (I have been told by people that they have gotten them running under XP).

Regarding the sound: I don’t think all of them come with it. Most of those old downloads are around 5MBs, and that’s not a very good sign for audio. If you do everything you can and the audio still doesn’t work, odds are that it was stripped from the game in order to make it easier to distribute over the Internet.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby robbyjo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:48 am

Okay, I posted a guide on how to run old KOEI games here:
http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=11605

Hope this helps,
-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:27 pm

Thank you, Rob. Do you mind if I adapt this to KMA down the road if time permits?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby robbyjo » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:31 am

Sure thing, James. I'll finish the guide up when I'm less busier.

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:53 am

This inquiry is copied from a duplicate thread:

keklin wrote:Does this game require chinese software (Richwin, Chinese star etc.) to play ?

My OS is Win XP. After installation, the fonts in the game (officer names, dialogue) are garbled.

Pls advise. Thanks !

I'm assuming the problem is with RTK10.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms