Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Glacial » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 am

Gray Riders wrote:I think provoke could be used on a high defense unit to protect others from being attacked. Not sure how to make use of Restrained in this battle system, though.

That would be the case if you can control when and who to use Provoke. But with the random nature of tactics, so far I haven't seen the practical use of it. Besides, provoked unit still counterattack any units attacking it.

What is the use of provoking a city? The city still attacks all enemies in range. And Restrain in city? Is this make the city cannot deploy units? I haven't confirmed this yet.

Tactic like Inscrutable Scheme seems pointless.
Glacial
Tyro

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Glacial wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:I think provoke could be used on a high defense unit to protect others from being attacked. Not sure how to make use of Restrained in this battle system, though.

That would be the case if you can control when and who to use Provoke. But with the random nature of tactics, so far I haven't seen the practical use of it. Besides, provoked unit still counterattack any units attacking it.

What is the use of provoking a city? The city still attacks all enemies in range. And Restrain in city? Is this make the city cannot deploy units? I haven't confirmed this yet.

Tactic like Inscrutable Scheme seems pointless.

Wait what, Inscrutable Scheme is one of the best tacitcs in the game lol

Couple of things. One good thing with provoke is that ususally units attack everyone around them. With provoked, it only attacks that one target, so less damamge overall by a decent margin.
Restrained is really good cuz you can essentially flank and surround them easily and set them on fire.

Inscrutable Schemes can stunlock an entire army in place and you can destry said army without taking a single casualty. When using it against a city, you'll take no damage while taking that city. Because Sima Yi has high INT, it lasts a long time too, so you can almost permastun armies in place. Its not as good as Zhuge Liangs (which is probs the best tactic in the game), it's still devastating and auto wins you fights. In lategame, you'd prefer that over damage traits with high troop count/decent generals. Zhuge LIang is better because rather than moral, it decreases stats, which can be devastating to enemey troops (Ma Chao will do 2k dmg with his abillity, but with Zhuge LIang, his autoattacks will do 700-1k a tick, essentially using his abillity every other tick lmao). Zhou Yu's I'd say is better too cuz it puts them on fire which would do similar amounts of morale dmg plus troops damage. Sima Yi's is a bit weaker cuz it only does morale damage, but its a decent morale damage.

Remember you can manually trigger abillities for certain generals if u are a certain rank! U can use this to perma lock enemies using Inscrutable Schemes! Provoke can save a lot of troops but you are right in that it is not as good as restrained or disorder imo.
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 pm

I was reconsidering restrain after seeing that status can last a pretty long time with high Int (Zhou Yu got a Disorder lasting more than ten days)--before I thought the length listed in-game was more accurate so Retrain would only last half a turn and could run out before you could take advantage.

I also learned that a Goose unit can use tactics from a distance that aren't the long distance type--I saw Xiahou Yuan throw out a ranged Surprise Attack, which startled me.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Glacial » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:21 am

Jebusrocks wrote:Wait what, Inscrutable Scheme is one of the best tacitcs in the game lol

Couple of things. One good thing with provoke is that ususally units attack everyone around them. With provoked, it only attacks that one target, so less damamge overall by a decent margin.
Restrained is really good cuz you can essentially flank and surround them easily and set them on fire.

Inscrutable Schemes can stunlock an entire army in place and you can destry said army without taking a single casualty. When using it against a city, you'll take no damage while taking that city. Because Sima Yi has high INT, it lasts a long time too, so you can almost permastun armies in place. Its not as good as Zhuge Liangs (which is probs the best tactic in the game), it's still devastating and auto wins you fights. In lategame, you'd prefer that over damage traits with high troop count/decent generals. Zhuge LIang is better because rather than moral, it decreases stats, which can be devastating to enemey troops (Ma Chao will do 2k dmg with his abillity, but with Zhuge LIang, his autoattacks will do 700-1k a tick, essentially using his abillity every other tick lmao). Zhou Yu's I'd say is better too cuz it puts them on fire which would do similar amounts of morale dmg plus troops damage. Sima Yi's is a bit weaker cuz it only does morale damage, but its a decent morale damage.

Remember you can manually trigger abillities for certain generals if u are a certain rank! U can use this to perma lock enemies using Inscrutable Schemes! Provoke can save a lot of troops but you are right in that it is not as good as restrained or disorder imo.

What I was saying about Inscrutable Schemes, I meant it when it is used against a city. The Disorder effect is good as usual, but the Provoke and Restrain effect seems pointless against a city. Against units, Inscrutable Schemes is great for its mass Disorder and moral damage, but its Provoke and Restrain effects seem like better-than-nothing secondary effects.

I haven't paid much attention to the provoked unit and its overall damage. I just noticed that if a provoked unit is blocked by another unit then the provoked unit will still dishing out damage. And about flanking enemies, if we got more units aren't we can just always flank them regardless they are restrained or not?

By fire, do you mean the unit's fire attack? Does the damage worthwhile? I haven't put much thought into it.

Ah, yes, I almost forgot about manual Tactics. I never use it again after some time. Manual Tactics make the battle too easy.
Glacial
Tyro

Unread postby XiangYu » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Read previous posts about adjutants and manual tactics but how and where do you pull this off? Two cities left and Ive got the whole map but never encountered this option lol.
XiangYu
Apprentice

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

XiangYu wrote:Read previous posts about adjutants and manual tactics but how and where do you pull this off? Two cities left and Ive got the whole map but never encountered this option lol.

There's a button that looks like a fan in the upper right of the UI, under the options/lists menus. It toggles the window that shows tasks your officers are carrying out to the adjutant window; clicking the helmet toggles it back.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby XiangYu » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
XiangYu wrote:Read previous posts about adjutants and manual tactics but how and where do you pull this off? Two cities left and Ive got the whole map but never encountered this option lol.

There's a button that looks like a fan in the upper right of the UI, under the options/lists menus. It toggles the window that shows tasks your officers are carrying out to the adjutant window; clicking the helmet toggles it back.

Cheers! finally found it. Still unsure how and when to use it thouhj, are there like any amazing traits that you def wanna manually use and time them? Also, only up to five officers can be adjutants is that correct?

Btw, what is the criteria for surround and conquer?>
XiangYu
Apprentice

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

XiangYu wrote:Cheers! finally found it. Still unsure how and when to use it thouhj, are there like any amazing traits that you def wanna manually use and time them? Also, only up to five officers can be adjutants is that correct?

It really depends on the situation. Disorder is great to spam when you're attacking a city if it doesn't have any officers with traits that protect it from Disorder, for instance. Powerful attacks with an AOE like Guan Yu or Lu Bu can be useful when the enemy has lots of units.
30 days to start working isn't too long so it's a good idea to change Adjutants when you're going to attack or are being attacked to the appropriate officers.

Up to 5, but only at a very high rank.

Btw, what is the criteria for surround and conquer?>

Near as I can tell it's as simple as "the area you want to conquer needs to be completely surrounded by areas you control". It can help to visualize if you activate the "neighboring borders" UI by clicking on the spyglass icon and ticking it ot.

You can take a bunch of areas at once--a good way to see this in action is Sun Quan in 217. On the first turn one of your districts should occupy an area that'll trigger Surround and Conquer and give you quite a few areas at once.

Edit: I wanted to warn everyone about a glitch; a city captured by a Goose unit will not have officers taken prisoner (even up close it seems). I've seen it myself a few times and here is an update about it:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/872410 ... 3962207897
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby maload » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 am

i like to use plots , any thing that increase chance of succeed ?
maload
Tyro

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms