RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby sammohung » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:Ah I forgot to respond abut that part about the items. Basically they were in your force's possession, but not Liu Bei's specifically. I forget the name of the menu it's under but when you are the ruler, you can go into it and assign those specialties to specific officers (such as yourself). But if you don't go into this menu, you would never know that you had them.

Likewise, if you are far too busy to run around and directly reward your officers with items, you can seize the item from yourself (same overall menu, it has seize and assign submenus under it), and then assign it to the desired officer. The only thing you really miss out on is a chance to mentor, the officer will still get loyalty and rapport boosts.

The Chaoxian carrot is actually a mostly useless item. It is valued at 3000 gold and is consumable, so the best use of it is to sell it! (It's awesome in merchant mode though.)

Hey thanks! I get it now.

Yes, I can award these things during the city assembly, but hmmm....they don't confer any Rapport boosts, only loyalty boosts.

Saves time though, if you want to give something to someone who is far away or deployed. It turns out there is only one item that boosts lifespan, or that is what it says on the tin. The others, like Anjelica or Chaoxian carrot do nothing for boosting lifespan, or at least it doesn't say so.

I've so far only uncovered or unlocked Ying Bu and Zhang Liang after playing so long, but I'm sure there are plenty more officers to unlock. Any idea how to unlock the others?
sammohung
Student

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:41 am

I guess I remembered wrong then about rapport going up when awarding.

There are actually quite a few life extension items, actually! I can't boot up the game to check exact numbers but there are like 10 or so such items. Most are rare and expensive books that you will only find being sold in the nice shops (as in, the ones in cities that sell both consumables, and rare items). The extension value can be up to 10 with custom items but I believe the best original item gives 8 years.

It's been a long time since I unlocked all the bonus officers. There is a feats menu you should be able to access at the start screen which will show conditions for some officers. But I think some of them are also DLC. I think there are 56 in total...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sammohung » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 am

Zyzyfer wrote:I guess I remembered wrong then about rapport going up when awarding.

There are actually quite a few life extension items, actually! I can't boot up the game to check exact numbers but there are like 10 or so such items. Most are rare and expensive books that you will only find being sold in the nice shops (as in, the ones in cities that sell both consumables, and rare items). The extension value can be up to 10 with custom items but I believe the best original item gives 8 years.

It's been a long time since I unlocked all the bonus officers. There is a feats menu you should be able to access at the start screen which will show conditions for some officers. But I think some of them are also DLC. I think there are 56 in total...

Started the game again now that I'm more familiar, and I now see those life extension items appearing now more often, and they are not as rare as I thought. :)

So far have not tried the Hero Mode playing as an officer, cos those seem boring to me. As a ruler, there is so much more one can do and I enjoy playing as Liu Bei with his few officers up north holding out against much bigger foes in 190 AD scenario.

The game makes it HARD to recruit anyone, unless they are a free officer, and even those whom you know are loyal to you also are not easy to recruit away from their force even when their loyalty is not 100, whereas the computer always has a much easier time. Those two Lus (Lu Xiang and Lu Kuang) are especially easy to recruit away. And then when they are recruited away from you, they are forever "spoiled". The game always says they hate you afterwards, even if their Rapport was 80 with you. I'm not sure if forming a Level 1 Bond can prevent them from being recruited away or not, do you know?

There are only very rare cases when trying to recruit someone, and they challenge you to a Debate or Duel, and if you win, then only they join you. Most of the time, if they hesitate, it's 99% sure they will not join you at least in that attempt and it's such a waste of time to go all the way to their city and talk with them.

BTW, I found out that level 4 Bond does allow recruitment even when loyalty to the other force is 100, but realistically, you can only have three level 4 Bond slots with officers, and in the case of Liu Bei, only one slot is available (the other 2 slots taken up by Guan Yu and Zhang Fei).
sammohung
Student

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:22 am

Hero mode is just a set of half tutorial, half self-contained mini challenge mode scenarios with very fixed victory conditions anyway. I think there is a bit of unique dialogue if you are into the backstory side of things. And you do unlock some kind of achievement for completing it, I think. But otherwise there isn't a whole lot of point to the mode.

I think rapport and relations do help with keeping officers under your rule. But I have no idea if a level 1 bond prevents recruitment entirely. I would imagine it does not. The only really reliable way to prevent this is to get loyalty up to 100 somehow. (There are also "cheats" for this if you wish to know.)

The officers who get picked off from your force don't hate you forever, although it usually seems like they do. What actually happens is that their former ruler gets put on a kind of "disliked officer" field. However, if that officer leaves another force, the first ruler gets replaced by the second one, meaning the first one can recruit the officer again. So it can (with difficulty) be manipulated...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sammohung » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Hero mode is just a set of half tutorial, half self-contained mini challenge mode scenarios with very fixed victory conditions anyway. I think there is a bit of unique dialogue if you are into the backstory side of things. And you do unlock some kind of achievement for completing it, I think. But otherwise there isn't a whole lot of point to the mode.

I think rapport and relations do help with keeping officers under your rule. But I have no idea if a level 1 bond prevents recruitment entirely. I would imagine it does not. The only really reliable way to prevent this is to get loyalty up to 100 somehow. (There are also "cheats" for this if you wish to know.)

The officers who get picked off from your force don't hate you forever, although it usually seems like they do. What actually happens is that their former ruler gets put on a kind of "disliked officer" field. However, if that officer leaves another force, the first ruler gets replaced by the second one, meaning the first one can recruit the officer again. So it can (with difficulty) be manipulated...

Thanks, what are those "cheats" to get the loyalty of everyone up to 100? I know there was something about an appointment by the Emperor, but that is when you already have many cities (I think over 10 cities), then the Emperor gives you a new title or something, and then all the officer's loyalty becomes 100 instantly. The other way is to get someone with Impartiality as their expertise.

Well, if the officer's who get recruited from me all hate me and won't ever return unless they get an intermediate ruler, then that makes the game A LOT harder than it is (unless you save very regularly and deploy them when you know they gonna get recruited :D ). It seems most of the officers in the game settle down easily with most of the main guys, and Liu Bei is not too popular among the officers.

In fact, it seems the computer has a big advantage in recruiting and keeping his officers. I am seeing Yuan Shao having 30 officers in his last city and yet maintaining his officer's loyalty even with 0 gold and 0 revenue. Obviously he cannot pay his men's salaries, and yet their loyalties are all 100 with him. How is that even possible? :rangry:

I just finished successfully defending Ganling against 250,000 of Dong Zhuo's troops (with many strong War generals like Lu Bu/Ma Chao/Pang De/80s war guys attacking) with just less than 80,000 troops, mostly based on Liu Bei's iron generals aka his trio (Guan Yu/Zhang Fei/Zhao Yun). I'm sure Dong will be back once he has regenerated his troops. I cannot imagine any other ruler holding out if you are playing them, especially if you're playing as one of the weak, small guys sandwiched between the big dogs (just for the challenge). It's pretty much impossible to survive, even if you're the best RTK player ever :lol:

Even Cao Cao has left the field at this early stage of my game (196 AD). If you play the 190AD scenario, Dong Zhuo ALWAYS quickly emerges as the far and away dominant force. He always quickly subdues Ma Teng and then takes out the weakies in the Jinyang/Shandong area, and if Yuan Shao and Cao Cao both weakened themselves attacking Liu Bei, then he swipes them very shortly.

Yup, Liu Bei is always the downfall of anyone that attacks him :lol:
sammohung
Student

Unread postby sammohung » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:27 am

When the rapport goes from Level 3 to Level 4, does the request to get sworn or married ever come from the officer?

So far I already experienced automatic increases in Rapport Level from doing tasks together in a city, but have not yet encountered Level 3 to Level 4 automatically. I think this final step needs a gift from the ruler, and then the ruler will have to go and ask the officer to either swear oath or marry, right?
sammohung
Student

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:13 am

Not cheats so much as just abusing the game mechanics. But you can deploy up to 3 low loyalty officers in a unit with the minimum troops and have it stand right on the city. The officers thus cannot be recruited. (You also can't assign them tasks, but you don't want to do that anyway.)

Similarly, if you have a city not bordered by any enemy forces, you can stick all of your low loyalty officers in it. Appoint an officer with Impartiality as governor and they will gain 1 point each season(plus 1 each new year). I think sticking a Loyal Partisan in there as a minister will further speed this along, although a bit harder to set up. (You can also directly raise the loyalty of officers with certain prestiges.)

As a ruler, just before you expand into new cities, call for a council and send only yourself to it. Then assign a domestic or training mission with a very hard difficulty, evenly distributing the goals. Then go attack some easy to take cities until you complete the council mission. Rinse and repeat. Your officers will gain about 5 points of loyalty each time you do this, and often you only need to conquer 1 or 2 cities.

-----

Other stuff...

- When a city is out of gold but the officers stay loyal, this is because their loyalty can actually go above 100. I believe the max is 255, but this is rare. 120 or so is more common.

- I think you are correct, you have to directly activate marriages and sworn sibling oaths through gifting. This is probably so that you don't accidentally become oath siblings with some chump you befriended to raise an ability or something.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sammohung » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:Not cheats so much as just abusing the game mechanics. But you can deploy up to 3 low loyalty officers in a unit with the minimum troops and have it stand right on the city. The officers thus cannot be recruited. (You also can't assign them tasks, but you don't want to do that anyway.)

Similarly, if you have a city not bordered by any enemy forces, you can stick all of your low loyalty officers in it. Appoint an officer with Impartiality as governor and they will gain 1 point each season(plus 1 each new year). I think sticking a Loyal Partisan in there as a minister will further speed this along, although a bit harder to set up. (You can also directly raise the loyalty of officers with certain prestiges.)

As a ruler, just before you expand into new cities, call for a council and send only yourself to it. Then assign a domestic or training mission with a very hard difficulty, evenly distributing the goals. Then go attack some easy to take cities until you complete the council mission. Rinse and repeat. Your officers will gain about 5 points of loyalty each time you do this, and often you only need to conquer 1 or 2 cities.

-----

Other stuff...

- When a city is out of gold but the officers stay loyal, this is because their loyalty can actually go above 100. I believe the max is 255, but this is rare. 120 or so is more common.

- I think you are correct, you have to directly activate marriages and sworn sibling oaths through gifting. This is probably so that you don't accidentally become oath siblings with some chump you befriended to raise an ability or something.

Thanks for that tip, I did not notice it before, but awarding a title/rank to officers do raise their loyalty quite a bit. I think it's 5 or 6 points.

About the loyalty being way over 100, wow I did not know that. But it's true that after a while of having a negative revenue level and not being able to pay salaries, Yuan Shao started losing his officers one by one (a small group started going down in loyalty and then some left). I even recruited Zhen Shi who was Yuan Xi's wife because her loyalty was in the 60s. In the end I just put him out of his misery by attacking and taking over his lone city. :)

----------
BTW, is anyone pumped up about the upcoming RTK14? Not me. I think it sucks big time, and I detest the hex layout and inability to control battles. Already I was not happy that RTK13 reduced the ability to control battles unless your ruler is present. That really sucks, and I would absolutely take on all of them single-handedly (without any alliances), even if they all did a coalition against me -- if ONLY I could control the battles.

Speaking of coalitions, alliances is the only way to prevent the others from ganging up on your force. I experienced it soon enough, and had to reload back to a much earlier time and go grovel for alliances...uggh.

But RTK14 is a major downgrade even from RTK13, and personally I would not touch it. Koei as usual, is not listening to their players. I was hoping they would enhance the RPG aspect but it looks more like an arcade game now, and the graphics also don't look nice (most portraits are recycled while the Liu Bei character looks like a happy-go-lucky joker now).

The only good I see in RTK14 being released is maybe it will breath a bit of new life back to these forums :wink:

I still think RTK11 was the best, and I really enjoyed zapping huge armies with lightning and then keeping them confused and unable to move while getting roasted. But RTK13 is not bad too, and I heard RTK10 was also rather similar to RTK13 in the RPG aspect. I never played RTK10, but I do enjoy the RPG aspect that I see in RTK13 (which can be enhanced a lot more).
sammohung
Student

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms