Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 pm

13 was a true letdown, honestly. It lacked any amount of replayability. Really the only fun I got out of it was through the event editor. I do feel bad for not enjoying it, since someone who reads my stuff bought it for me as a gift which was very kind of them.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby foosoomin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:36 am

Sakae Wu wrote:I would think you are right on the RTS system. Every article I can find, whether it's Asian or western, seem to indicate it's a return to 9 and 11 style gameplay.

If they do something like part 11 battle mode type of gameplay, then i may take a closer look on this game
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aygor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 pm

XIII really grew on me somehow, so I am looking forward to see what XIV has to offer.

I am glad they reintroduce a logistical side and returned to the single map for domestic and military operations.
It looks like officers will have a certain degree of independence, which I would really appreciate.

Hopefully there will be updates soon!
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Looks like the marketing for the game is about to start, judging by the official twitter putting up Cao Cao's portrait and a brief bio.
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/ ... 1788904448

#NotCowCow

:lol:
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lorric » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Looks like the marketing for the game is about to start, judging by the official twitter putting up Cao Cao's portrait and a brief bio.
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/ ... 1788904448

#NotCowCow

:lol:

Too bad they didn't tell their own guys that when they made DW9.

https://youtu.be/z-j8V9NNqiw?t=89

You'd think if they told nobody else, they'd have told the guy that was voice acting the man himself, one of their main guys. :roll:
Lorric
Apprentice

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I wonder if it will have that ambition setting from the latest NA game so you can potentially play as a faction whose only aim is to 'survive' in their own little corner.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm

So, there's a Japanese game site that covers ROTK (among other series, including NA) that has some information on 14. I'm not sure where it got this information but it's not unlikely there have been interviews or other releases in Japanese only, and I've gotten accurate info from it in the past so I'll post here. This is the site's ROTK 14 page:
https://sangokushi14.shiyo.info/
*The game uses a formation system (the site compares this to ROTK 5--I'm not sure how 5's formation system differs from 9).
*This part came out odd, but according to the translation the domestics are simplified, saying "Domestic affairs only appoints officers."
I'm not sure if that means the system used in earlier where you appoint officers and they simply raise city stats without the structures that XI and XIII used or something else.
*Historical events are done in the form of Quests where the player is shown conditions that need to be met to trigger them--this system was used in the recent Nobunaga's Ambition games.
*Says the game combines elements from 5, 9, and 11.
*Site seems to wonder if the system of officers potentially ignoring orders could lead to suspicions of the AI cheating with this system to favor the computer.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sanji Himura » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:14 pm

I am not one to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but officers ignoring orders may have a few factors in play. What is the loyalty of the officer in question? How "involved" (for lack of a better term) is he in your government, and perhaps most importantly, how well is his recommendations are received by you?

The fact that officers can ignore orders doesn't necessarily mean that the deck will be stacked in favor of AI players by default. It just means that you need to manage your government carefully and make stubborn officers into loyal ones.

Romance 1 had the same issue where you run the risk of officers defecting if you don't keep them happy, and it is implied that the same can happen here.
Sanji Himura
Tyro

Unread postby Lorric » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:24 pm

ROTK VIII for instance, play as Dong Zhuo in 189, Cao Cao is in your employ, but good luck getting him to do anything! :P
Lorric
Apprentice

Unread postby Sanji Himura » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Lorric wrote:ROTK VIII for instance, play as Dong Zhuo in 189, Cao Cao is in your employ, but good luck getting him to do anything! :P

Well, I suspect that in that example it was story driven. I was speaking more in terms of general officer management.
Sanji Himura
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms