Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Discussion

Unread postby Valvatorez » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 am

foosoomin wrote:val,

If a wife and sworn brother with better stats, Zhang Jiao stats will improve.

I ever made him & his biological brothers, sworn siblings & it worked well

I see, but his stats go down when you use most other officers?
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I think foosoomin means the empty NPC slots, foosoomin probably was trying to test different officer slots to see if Zhang Jiao would perform better, since certain slots seem to be pre-programmed to be advantageous/horrible in terms of AI performance.

Personally I think Zhang Jiao's AI is just fine, the YT are just in a challenging position at the start of 184, and nothing short of player intervention is going to change that. I know I played 184 X as the YT once, at the start it was all I could do to fend off the relentless assaults from every direction, but once I ran their invading armies through the meat grinder, it was quite easy to counter-attack with my still-deployed units and make good gains. Once you've put the boots to folks like Sun Jian and have uncovered the talented hidden officers in the Central Plains, you steamroll because of their unit troop bonus. I believe 184 X YT is still the only time I've legit conquered the map in under 10 years, I think I can't claim that even with 208 Cao Cao despite his powerful starting position.

I see, thanks for the explanation. I wish I would have tried the X series, it sounds very interesting from what I've read.
Finishing under 10 years is pretty impressive no matter who you play as. I'd guess I'm usually 13-15 yrs and I try to work pretty fast.
My longest was 21 years as Liu Yu in the DZ scenario and I even cheated by giving him a custom strategist(after several failures) That was a fun one though.

Zyzyfer wrote:One of my X changes was giving Zhang Jiao an unnatural death so he doesn't die immediately, YT seems to fare somewhat better in this case. His early death causes some issues like Liao Hua and Zhou Cang (two great officers for YT) resigning, and general weakness in the north since he is one of the best YT officers up there at scenario start.

Ah, you're right they do have a few adequate officers to start with. I had forgotten about Cang.
When I think of the YT's, I usually think of Bo Cai, Bian Xi and some of the other nitwits.

It's kinda weird but I was googling the YT scenario looking for the starting position map and the first map I clicked on was actually yours from this thread haha. Back in the 300 something page.
I read through about 20 pages and it was fun read with you, Hyper, Gray and the others sharing experiences and ideas.
Hard to believe the game is already over 10 years old :o
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby foosoomin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 am

Valvatorez wrote:

Zhang Jiao in this game, really many people don't like him.

Therefore, he couldn't pair up well with many people within a unit
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:59 am

Sakae Wu, since you only play the ps2 game do you know if you unlocked the 11 female officers? Like Lu Yusheng, Guan Yinping and others? I remember trying many different things to get them, that was probably one of the only times I actually finished in under 10 years, and you unlock them in a completely different way anyways :lol:

Usually I take the slow and methodical approach so don't always finish quickly and try to make the game harder in general, I did hit 25 years a couple of times, not sure what the actual longest one was though. I mentioned this earlier, but I think I may make a new scenario for me that is a Roh type of game with Wei, Wu, Shu, Jin, Yellow Turbans, Qin (Shi Huangdi/Ying Zheng) Han (Liu Bang) and maybe one more 'emperor', I'm almost tempted to say Yuan Shu, but will probably end up as Lu Bu haha and play as all 8 of them and see who can win. Playing as 8 different ones usually is what makes it take the longest.
Actually doing this takes a very very long time haha. For starting spots, I'm thinking: Wei- Xu Chang, Wu- Jian Ye, Shu- Cheng Du, Jin- Luo Yang, Yellow Turbans- possibly Ye, Qin- Chang An? I'm actually not sure where Huangdi made his capital but thinking it was Chang An, and I think Liu Bang was centered in Xiang Yang, so that will take all the bigger cities, but 3 of them are too close at the start so not sure if I should change anything.

foosoomin wrote:
Valvatorez wrote:

Zhang Jiao in this game, really many people don't like him.

Therefore, he couldn't pair up well with many people within a unit

Is he the only one this happens to, or are there others you have seen it do the same thing?
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby foosoomin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:13 am

Valvatorez wrote:
Is he the only one this happens to, or are there others you have seen it do the same thing?

Other officers have this problem too.....

Sigh, i don't care already.............will just make the 3 brothers "like" one another though........

I will do 2 version

First is Yellow Turban version
Second will be normal ruler version
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby foosoomin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 am

val,

I am about to complete my game.

Now is left with Gongsun Zan, on Xiang Ping city

Follow by Liu Zhang on Yun Nan city
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:22 am

Oh maybe it's a normal thing for rulers with lower stats? I'm not sure.
And the Fa Zheng game you are almost finished with? Nice work things must've been pretty easy once you took out Cao Cao :)
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:46 am

Sakae Wu wrote:I see, thanks for the explanation. I wish I would have tried the X series, it sounds very interesting from what I've read.
Finishing under 10 years is pretty impressive no matter who you play as. I'd guess I'm usually 13-15 yrs and I try to work pretty fast.
My longest was 21 years as Liu Yu in the DZ scenario and I even cheated by giving him a custom strategist(after several failures) That was a fun one though.

Some people really praise the X Series stuff, others use it as a stepping stone for their own edits, I've even had the occasional detractor. :lol: It's definitely not perfect, but I was happy to see that they got as many downloads as they did back in the editing craze heyday.

Most of my normal games take 20 years, I guess I am too cautious. I've also done a few really drawn out ones where I do something ridiculous like take 1 city per year, but those usually get old once you hit the mid-game.

It's kinda weird but I was googling the YT scenario looking for the starting position map and the first map I clicked on was actually yours from this thread haha. Back in the 300 something page.
I read through about 20 pages and it was fun read with you, Hyper, Gray and the others sharing experiences and ideas.
Hard to believe the game is already over 10 years old :o

I wonder what the map was. That's pretty neat though. Yeah we used to have some energetic discussions back in the day. There will still be occasional spurts of activity these days - like the one now - but they eventually fizzle out.

What's extra depressing is that XIII has already hit the same lows in terms of discussions in English, though to be fair, the way that Koei designed the game and Van's English Editor works make it hard to edit it. It's definitely not a case of downloading a scenario file and being on your way.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby foosoomin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:48 am

Valvatorez wrote:Oh maybe it's a normal thing for rulers with lower stats? I'm not sure.
And the Fa Zheng game you are almost finished with? Nice work things must've been pretty easy once you took out Cao Cao :)

1) Maybe you are right, lower stats officers is harder to gain good stats when teaming up

2) Yup, almost finish with Fa Zheng game

3) I only felt easier after wiping out Sun Ce army, it took me more than 2 years to wipe him out...cos playing Fa Zheng is very difficult, as he doesn't have good generals to fight with Sun Ce

4) Slowly i began to conquer Central Plains, that was where Yuan Shao proposed ceasefire plan to Cao Cao & Liu Zhang, i edited the date, from December to January

5) Slowly conquered Cao Cao cities, wiped him out & gotten many of his capable officers quite fast, then keep on expand towards north west, north east, south west........

6) Wipe out Ma Teng very fast though.
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby foosoomin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:51 am

i noticed in this game, to fight against strong force.......Need to create custom scenarios

Like several huge force with good scholars & generals.......then take them on

We must also ensure the rulers are aggressive type, example like

Cao Cao
Cao Pi
Sun Jian
Sun Ce
Sun Quan
Liu Bei
Guan Qiujian
Sima Yi & clan members
Yuan Shao
Dong Zhuo