Creating Name Fix patch for RTK 1 (for NES)

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Creating Name Fix patch for RTK 1 (for NES)

Unread postby Lion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 am

The first Romance of the Three Kingdoms for the NES is still my love and joy, even though my cart's battery has long since stopped saving. Anyway! Suddenly with an urge to revisit and play this game, I noticed a lot of name errors, most that were fixed as soon as the 2nd game came out. Sohere's what I've got, using a lot of name research to find names that just didn't exist, and their closest counterparts to the correct name.

This is a list of names I have changed, and I am posting this hear to see if people agree with these changes, or even to point out ones I missed I could change:

Gou Yu to Xun Yu, Gan Jin to Yu Jin, Chen Qiao to Chen Qun, Zhou Liao to Zhang Liao (Cao Cao)
Xu Shou to Xu You (Yuan Shao), Sun Gan to Sun Qian, Wei Yang to Wei Yan (Liu Bei)
Liang Ji to Yue Jin (Yuan Shu) (This was a hard one to figure out! But everything about him fits)
Liang Xing to Liang Gang (Yuan Shu) (Xing belongs to Ma Teng)
Liu Gong to Lu Gong, Liu Coing to Liu Cong (Liu Biao)
Guo Xi to Guo Si, Xu Long to Xu Rong, Zhang Cen to Zhou Cen (Dong Zhuo)
Deng Lan to Deng Xian (Liu Zhang), Liang Gang to Liang Xing (Gang belongs to Yuan Shu)
Wei Pin to Wen Pin, Fu Ren to Fu Shiren, Sha Ke to Sha Moke
Lion
Tyro

Re: Creating Name Fix patch for RTK 1 (for NES)

Unread postby Lion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 am

Also things I'm debating about fixing:
The infamous advisor Guo Tu (Yuan Shao) mix-up, where his War and IQ are mixed. I think Shen Pei was mixed too (War 66 IQ 32). The other way around, it would fit his being called out as a mediocre tactician.

Chen Gong and Kuai Yue should be good advisors for Lu Bu and Liu Biao respectively, but they fall short of giving advice at 89 and 88 IQ. So I was thinking of giving them each 2 IQ points to 91 and 90, which I think turns advisorless Lords into respectable opponents. This change is just a personal feeling.

Also Chen Gong was super loyal to Lu Bu, but his Loyalty starts off as 12... I reveresed that to 88, otherwise other leaders steal him away fast, and out of all of Lu Bu's generals, that's the one that shouldn't defect.

Speaking of Lu Bu's generals, Lu Qian is throwing me for a loop. There was a Lu Qian who served for Cao Cao, but not Lu Bu (in fact, he killed a general of Lu Bu's), but in Scenario 2, there he is, with Lu Bu. I thought this was just Lu Qian being omitted and it either being really Gao Shun or Zhang Miao. But Zhang Miao is in the game. Gao Shun would be an important character to Lu Bu. But I hopped to scenario 3, and the same stats Lu Qian is with Cao Cao. So I'll have to leave that standing until I figure out what to do with it.

Anyway, making 2 ips, one with just name changes, and other with that and stat changes, if anyone wanted.
Lion
Tyro

Re: Creating Name Fix patch for RTK 1 (for NES)

Unread postby wk123 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Lion wrote:Also things I'm debating about fixing:
The infamous advisor Guo Tu (Yuan Shao) mix-up, where his War and IQ are mixed. I think Shen Pei was mixed too (War 66 IQ 32). The other way around, it would fit his being called out as a mediocre tactician.

Chen Gong and Kuai Yue should be good advisors for Lu Bu and Liu Biao respectively, but they fall short of giving advice at 89 and 88 IQ. So I was thinking of giving them each 2 IQ points to 91 and 90, which I think turns advisorless Lords into respectable opponents. This change is just a personal feeling.

I never liked the 90+ requirement to be an advisor. Whoever has the highest IQ should be giving advice. Also, this would give a different advisor to each local province (vs an overarching from the capital).

This is 200 AD, there are no phones or internet. Advice should not come from the capital so quickly!
wk123
Tyro

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms