Can someone help me translate Yuan Shu's SGZ biography?
(1) - Annotations
(I) - Translator's notes
Yuan Shu (袁術), styled Gonglu (公路), 司空逢子, was (Yuan) Shao's (袁紹) cousin. 以俠氣聞. 舉孝廉, 除郎中, 歷職內外, 後為折衝校尉, 虎賁中郎將. Dong Zhuo (董卓) dethroned the emperor and raised Yuan Shu to act as General; Yuan Shu feared Dong Zhuo's tyranny and fled to Nanyang (南陽). Sun Jian (孫堅), the prefect of Changsha (長沙), killed Zhang Zi (張咨), the prefect of Nanyang, and Shu seized the commandery. Nanyang's households numbered one million, and in order to support his licentious lifestyle, Yuan Shu excessively taxed the peasants, bringing them much suffering. Since Yuan Shu bore a grudge against Yuan Shao, who had allied with Liu Biao (劉表), Yuan Shu in turn allied with Gongsun Zan (公孫瓚) to the north. This was because Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan were on bad terms and Liu Biao was to Yuan Shu's south. The two relatives harbored ill feelings for one another, and soon entered conflict with one another. (1) (I) The Grand Progenitor's (Cao Cao) (曹操) army entered Chenliu (陳留) and participated with Yuan Shao on a joint attack on Yuan Shu, dealing him a crushing defeat. Shu fled to Jiujiang (九江) with the remnants of his forces and slew the Governor of Yangzhou (揚州), Chen Wen (陳溫), and took over the province. (2) Then, Zhang Xun (張勳) and Qiao Rui (橋蕤) were promoted to the rank of Great General. Li Jue (李傕) entered Changan (長安) and wished to make ties with Yuan Shu for mutual assistance, and promised to appoint Yuan Shu as General of the Right and confer upon him the marquisate of Yangdi, and thus sent the Imperial Tutor Ma Ridi (馬日磾), who procrastinated in honoring Shu. Shu thus detained Ridi and did not allow him to leave. (3)
(1) Wu Shu says: When it was discovered that Emperor Ling had passed away, it resulted in rebellion in the empire, as Emperor Shao was young and weak, and the Eunuchs and the clan of the Emperor's mother ran the court. The Governor of Youzhou (幽州), Liu Yu (劉虞), was virtuous and prestigious, and Shao's desire at the time was to enthrone him, and some people reported this to Shu. Shu felt that the House of Liu was in decline, and he made secret subversive plans, and thus joined with Yuan Shao under the pretense of fighting in the name of righteousness. Shao's correspondence to Shu said: "前與韓文節共建永世之道, 欲海內見再興之主. Now in the west, there is a child emperor without the support of relatives, and now all in the court are loyal to Dong Zhuo, 安可復信! 但當使兵往屯關要, 皆自蹙死于西. 東立聖君, 太平可冀, 如何有疑! 又室家見戮, 不念子胥, 可復北面乎? 違天不祥, 願詳思之." Shu responded: "聖主聰叡，有周成之質.又室家見戮, 有周成之質. That villain (Dong) Zhuo is the cause of the current chaos and suffering, 威服百寮, 此乃漢家小厄之會. 亂尚未厭, 復欲興之. 乃云今主'無血脈之屬,' 豈不誣乎! 先人以來, 奕世相承, 忠義為先. 太傅公仁慈惻隱, 雖知賊卓必為禍害, 以信徇義, 不忍去也. 門戶滅絕, 死亡流漫, 幸蒙遠近來相赴助, 不因此時上討國賊, 下刷家恥, 而圖於此, 非所聞也. 又曰 '室家見戮, 可復北面,' 此卓所為, 豈國家哉? 君命, 天也, 天不可讎, 況非君命乎! Our loyalty and spirit is directed at eliminating (Dong) Zhuo. Do not be ignorant of that."
(2) Your Servant Pei Songzhi 案英雄 Records: "Chen Wen styled Yuan Ti (元悌) and was a man from Runan (汝南). While serving as governor of Yangzhou, he took ill and died. Yuan Shao sent Yuan Yi (袁遺) to take over the province, but he was defeated and fled to the Pei country, where his soldiers killed him. Yuan Shu used Chen Yu (陳瑀) to replace Chen Wen. Wen styled Gongwei (公瑋) and was from Xiapei (下邳). 瑀既領州, 而術敗于封丘, south towards Shou Chun, Yu refused to accept Shu. 術退保陰陵, gathered his forces and attacked Yu. Yu fled back to Xiapei." Thus, (Chen) Wen was not slain by Yuan Shu, and the biographies do not agree.
(3) 三輔決錄注曰: "(Ma) Ridi styled Wengshu (翁叔) and was the son of Ma Rong (馬融). 少傳融業, 以才學進. He was classmates with Yang Biao, Lu Zhi, and Cai Yong, was one of the Nine Ministers, and reached the position of Tutor. 獻帝春秋曰, "術從日磾借節觀之, 因奪不還, 備軍中千餘人, 使促辟之." 日磾謂術曰, "卿家先世諸公, 辟士云何, 而言促之, 謂公府掾可劫得乎!" 從術求去, 而術留之不遣; 既以失節屈辱, 憂恚而死.
時沛相下邳陳珪, 故太尉球弟子也. 術與珪俱公族子孫, 少共交游, 書與珪曰, "昔秦失其政, 天下群雄爭而取之, 兼智勇者卒受其歸. 今世事紛擾, 復有瓦解之勢矣, 誠英乂有為之時也. 與足下舊交, 豈肯左右之乎? 若集大事, 子實為吾心膂." 珪中子應時在下邳, 術並脅質應, 圖必致珪. 珪答書曰, "昔秦末世, 肆暴恣情, 虐流天下, 毒被生民, 下不堪命, 故遂土崩. 今雖季世, 未有亡秦苛暴之亂也. 曹將軍神武應期, 興復典刑, 將撥平凶慝, 清定海內, 信有徵矣. 以為足下當戮力同心, 匡翼漢室, 而陰謀不軌, 以身試禍, 豈不痛哉@ 若迷而知反, 尚可以免. 吾備舊知, 故陳至情, 雖逆于耳, 骨肉之惠也. 欲吾營私阿附, 有犯死不能也."
In winter of the second year of Xing Ping, 天子敗於曹陽. Shu gathered his subordinates and said, "Now, the Liu clan is weak, and the world is in turmoil. My family has served for four generations, 百姓所歸, 欲應天順民, what are your opinions?" No one dared to agree. The Master of Records, Yan Xiang, offered, "Since the days of the Zhou, 后稷至于文王, 積德累功, 三分天下有其二, 猶服事殷. 明公雖奕世克昌, 未若有周之盛, 漢室雖微, 未若殷紂之暴也." Shu was displeased. He used Zhang Jiong (張炯) of Henei's (河內) omen of a prince ascending to the throne as a justification to usurp the title of Emperor (4) and used the head of Jiujiang to act as official of Huainan (淮南). He installed high ranking officials, 祠南北郊. Famine and Yuan Shu's extravagance both grew. His concubines numbered in the hundreds and all wore woven silk clothes; he received extra food; (5) his soldiers went cold and hungry. The lands of the Yangtze and Huai rivers became infertile, the people turned to cannibalism. Yuan Shu suffered defeat at the hands of Lü Bu (呂布), 後為太祖所敗, and fled to Lei Bo (雷薄) and Chen Lan (陳蘭) 于灊山, 憂懼不知所出. He sought to relinquish the title of Emperor to (Yuan) Shao and fled towards Qingzhou (青州). Yuan Shao, in turn, sent his son Yuan Tan (袁譚), but Shu died of illness. (6) His family fled to Yuan Shu's prefect of Lujiang, Liu Xun (劉勳). Sun Ce (孫策) destroyed Xun's forces, (II) 復見收視. Shu's daughter entered the palace of Sun Quan (孫權), and his son Yuan Yao (袁燿) received the rank of Secretary-General. Yao's daughter was betrothed to Sun Quan's son, Sun Fen (孫奮).
(4) Dian Lue says: Shu used his surname to explain, 陳, 舜之後, 以土承火, 得應運之次. 又見讖文云: "代漢者, 當塗高也."自以名字當之, 乃建號稱仲氏.
(5) 九州春秋曰: 司隸馮方女, 國色也, 避亂揚州, 術登城見而悅之, 遂納焉, 甚愛幸. 諸婦害其寵, 語之曰, "將軍貴人有志節, 當時時涕泣憂愁, 必長見敬重." 馮氏以為然, 後見術輒垂涕, 術以有心志, 益哀之. 諸婦人因共絞殺, 懸之廁梁, 術誠以為不得志而死, 乃厚加殯斂."
(6) Wei Shu says: 術歸帝號于紹曰: "漢之失天下久矣, 天子提挈, 政在家門, 豪雄角逐, 分裂疆宇, 此與周之末年七國分勢無異, 卒彊者兼之耳. 加袁氏受命當王, 符瑞炳然, 今君擁有四州, 民戶百萬, 以彊則無與比大, 論德則無與比高. 曹操欲扶衰拯弱, 安能續絕命救已滅乎?" 紹陰然之. Wu Shu says: 術既為雷薄等所拒, 留住三日, 士眾絕糧, 乃還至江亭, 去壽春八十里. 問廚下, 尚有麥屑三十斛. 時盛暑, 欲得蜜漿, 又無蜜. 坐櫺床上, 歎息良久, 乃大吒曰, "袁術至于此乎!" 因頓伏床下, 嘔血斗餘而死.
(I) The conflicts between Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu started at Yangcheng (陽城), which was under the protection of Sun Jian during his time serving in the coalition against Dong Zhuo. Sun Jian was fighting Lü Bu and Dong Zhuo at Luoyang (洛陽) at the time and was able to defeat them and conquer the city. He then went back, and in conjunction with Yuan Shu and Gongsun Zan, defeated Yuan Shao and retook Yangcheng. Sun Jian would then die at Xiangyang (襄陽) whilst fighting Liu Biao on Yuan Shu's behalf. Sun Jian's death, and Cao Cao's conquest of Nanyang, brought about an informal end to the struggle between Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu.
(II) Sun Ce served Yuan Shu meritoriously and was the closest of friends with Qiao Rui and Zhang Xun. He had been one of the strongest objectors to Yuan Shu's initial musings of taking the throne, and to that end, he wrote a lengthy letter absolving the young Emperor Xian of any connection to Dong Zhuo. Yuan Shu pretended to accept the advice of Yan Xiang and Sun Ce, but inwardly, he was greatly upset. Later, when he claimed the title of Emperor, Sun Ce deserted him and took the lands of Jiang Dong with him. It is said that after Yuan Shu's death, Zhang Xun, Yang Hong, and others sought to submit to Sun Ce, but were captured by Cao Cao before they had the chance.
Last edited by Sun Gongli
on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."