MBTI

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

MBTI

Unread postby Flydd » Tue May 11, 2004 11:45 am

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Renowned psychometric tool based on Jung's theories on funcitonal dichotomies. Widely used throughout educational/commercial institutions.

Give it a shot; I think you'll like it.

EDIT: Articulate type profiles here.
I think I shall never
Read a poem as
I look at a woman
Flydd
Tyro

Unread postby robbyjo » Sun May 16, 2004 6:22 am

Just to add, another MBTI-based test is here:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

My type is ENTJ (Fieldmarshall) ;)

-- Rob

Edit: To clarify: Both tests confirmed that I am an ENTJ.... Read about ENTJ here: http://google.com/search?q=ENTJ
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun May 16, 2004 7:34 am

What's interesting is that every single MBTI-based test I've done since I was 13 (and this includes full-fledged pencil and paper hour-long deals) types me as INTJ. And that led me to believe for a long time that I was an INTJ (this is where these tests can be deleterious!), but a year or two ago I realized that I was an INTP all along, for as long as I can remember what I did (since kindergarten?). Even during those years when I was deluded into thinking that I was an INTJ, I thought and behaved as an INTP.

However, even after reading up on INTPs and reflecting on how it matchs my personality, I still typed INTJ on the online tests. Any psych majors out there would like to venture an explanation?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Sun May 16, 2004 2:38 pm

ISFJ for me.
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun May 16, 2004 5:03 pm

I find that I usually test either as an INFP or an ENFP. Somehow I managed to do one of those tests that gives you a detailed breakdown of your profile afterwards, and I was INFP, with the I/E axis almost tied around 50% each way (which would explain the occasional fluctuations).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby harshbarge » Sun May 16, 2004 7:04 pm

I got EXTP, and this is the first time I've taken one of these, so I'm either dumb or confused because i couldn't find what this meant
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun May 16, 2004 7:13 pm

Do you mean ESTP?

http://www.typelogic.com/estp.html

Also try a google search for "ESTP" or "ESTP profile".
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby harshbarge » Mon May 17, 2004 12:22 am

Well I was sure it said EXTP, but thanks Kong. I was suprised at how much that nailed me, how sometimes Im really introverted when im by myself or people I dont know, but when im with my friends I say whatever I feel. Im also competitive, but the going for the jugular comment was a little extreme
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon May 17, 2004 12:31 am

From the same site Kong Wen posted:

Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise,

Fear me! :twisted:

this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.

The first time I have my profession predicted! Yay! hehehe...

Anyone else who happens to be INTP should check out the INTP forum (don't worry, I'm not obsessed enough to join it). Here is a very thorough profile of the INTP (also recommended by the INTP forum). Since INTPs are supposed to have a warped sense of humour, and the author of that article is an INTP himself, he's got a page of MBTI jokes here. :shock:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Mon May 17, 2004 2:29 am

Are we supposed to discuss the validity and/or usefulness of these types of personality test or just ... post our results? Might do better in the Test and Quizzes thread somewhere in the Pub forum. :?

Just to be on topic, I'm INTP.

http://www.handprint.com/HM/ENN/homewk.html
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy