The Art of War

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Stuart » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:17 pm

The translation of the book i have is the Thomas Cleary translation. Its actually quite good and with the commentaires by other figures it adds an extra richness to it

(Paperback)ISBN:0-87773-452-6
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:17 am

The translation of the book i have is the Thomas Cleary translation. Its actually quite good and with the commentaires by other figures it adds an extra richness to it

I looked this book up but Amazon says it isn't there yet..not until June I guess. :cry:

Does yours have the annotations in it by Cao Cao? I mean if I am going to buy the book I mayaswell go for the one that has as many top Chinese historical figures in it as possible. :D ..of course then Sun Pin is needed too...
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:03 am

My translation contains commantaries by the following figures: Cao Cao, Meng Shi, Jia Lin, Li quan, Du you, Du mu, Zhang Yu, Mei yaochen, Chen hao and Ho yanxi. It is published by shambhala http://www.shambhala.com

If you live in the UK i would go to a one of the big bookstores like Waterstones
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:57 am

Thanks that sounds like exactly the book I am looking for..I made a mistake at Amazon..I saw a new book coming out called the complete something or other with the Art of War. I hate to be a bother but is this the same one you got? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ct-details

I don't want to make any mistakes..I was this meticulous in buying LGZ's book too. :lol: Thanks for all your help!
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:48 am

Cherry_Blossom wrote: I hate to be a bother but is this the same one you got? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ct-details

That'd be the exact one. I also have that version of The Art of War, and it's absolutely wonderful. I've spent hours just reading the introduction (which includes said wonderful quotes from other figures).
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone!! I just ordered it now! :lol: (heck right now I ordered this one to buy,have two on hold at the library and one borrowed form the library now! :lol: I love the book and wanted to find the best possible one!)
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Chinese Warfare

Unread postby dej2 » Fri May 16, 2003 2:50 pm

Here is an interesting artical on Chinese Warfare. The paper is by Ralph D. Sawyer one of today's leading authors on ancient Chinese warfare.

I think I saw in this thread... someone mentioned "The Complete Art of War" that is a book also by Sawyer and contains Sun Tzu and Sun Pin books together in the same volumn.

In the early 1970's, archaeologists excavating the Han dynasty tomb of a high-ranking official discovered a large number of bamboo slips. The military works among them included major portions of several of the Seven Military Classicsand extensive fragments of Sun Pin's Military Methods. Although this book--by Sun Tzu's descendant-- appeared in the bibliographic listings compiled in the Han Dynasty, it had apparently vanished in the Han and had been lost for over 2000 years.

I really enjoy Sawyers books because he has a lot of his own comments and insites included into his books. He often uses examples of battles fought in Chinas past.
dej2
Apprentice

Here is your chance to win a copy of "Sun Tzu's" A

Unread postby dej2 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:01 pm

"Sun Tzu's" Art of War
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Guy's

Here is your chance to win a copy of "Sun Tzu's" Art of War.
anyone with the interest a interest in strategy of ancient warfare is welcome, weather you have the book already or not.

"Sonshi's" forums has many outtakes from the book you can use as a source if you don't already own a copy of the book.

If you decide to take up this "Challenge" the details and website are listed below

good luck, dej2

(There is no fee to join, and apears to be a normal forum... I have not got any spam from the site yet... but I've only just discovered the site.)

The Sonshi Interpretation Challenge (09-17-02 until 10-18-10)
The Challenge:
To encourage more participation on the Sun Tzu Explained forum, we present to you the ultimate challenge: post your own interpretation of every passage for all 13 chapters.
The best way is to start with Chapter One and work your way through the chapters, clicking on every "?". Work at your own pace; it is not a race -- everyone who accomplishes our challenge will receive the trophy (see below).
To edit your messages easily and for verification purposes, you should register to the Sonshi Forum.
Important Notice:
We do request that you give your best effort interpreting the passages. For example, if the posts are primarily short blurbs or of low quality, you will not earn the trophy. It is not supposed to be easy!
There are no incorrect interpretations as long as the interpretations are truly from your own perspective. We don't want groupthink. What's most important is an effort was made to communicate to people what you feel is the meaning behind each passage. With enough participants from different viewpoints, the Sun Tzu Explained forum will help readers understand the Art of War better.
The Trophy:
For your well-earned accomplishment, you will receive all three of our top recommended Sun Tzu the Art of War books:
(1) The Art of War: The Denma Translation by The Denma Translation Group, hardcover edition
(2) Sun-Tzu The Art of Warfare by Roger Ames, hardcover edition
(3) Sun-Tzu The Art of War by John Minford, hardcover edition

http://forum.sonshi.com/
dej2
Apprentice

Unread postby CHEVIVE111 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:05 am

i have heard Zhuge Liang has a great book. Che Guevaras warfare book. Che was a genius when it came to ambushs and suprise attacks. It was reccomended to me before but i havent read it yet.

WU
You should be honored Gan Ning's gonna take your head.
CHEVIVE111
Student

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:58 am

Im pretty sure this is write but is zhuge liangs mastering the art of war just a get to the point of sun tzus the art of war?
In this battle strength alone will not save you
twiztidscholar45
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy