What colleges have the best Asian studies programs?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

What colleges have the best Asian studies programs?

Unread postby Tonto_Simfish » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:55 am

I'm currently making a list of the colleges that I would consider applying to, and may put Asian studies into consideration as well, even though I don't plan on majoring in the field (Rather, I am thinking of pursuing Asian literature as a hobby, which would then require a nice university library in Asian literature, or perhaps a couple of Asian literature classes). Though my prospective major is actually in either physics or chemistry.

Thanks! :)
Tonto_Simfish
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:15 am

It might be helpful to know what country are you in/considering going to, other geographical/financial preferences (state universities vs. private universities), and what your intended major is. :)

(why do I feel like a college counsellor?)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Unread postby Tonto_Simfish » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:57 am

Actually, just would like to have a list of colleges with the best programs in Chinese literature, or are renowned for their Chinese literature programs.

So as a result, it may help many others seeking a particular college, not just myself. Since no one knows me here, I would suppose that less people would want to help me individually.

As long as it's either in the United States or Canada, I would perhaps like a list. Though I doubt that many here would be interested in the hard sciences (since I would choose a college with a great hard science program and would take any Asian studies into consideration). Caltech is actually my first choice, but of course, it doesn't even have an Asian Studies program. I'm also looking at the University of Chicago, Berkeley, and even my safety the University of Washington. I'm sure the Ivies have good Asian studies programs, (especially Columbia) but Ivies aren't my type of college. Still, list all colleges since this thread is for anyone else interested in this.
Last edited by Tonto_Simfish on Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tonto_Simfish
Assistant

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:59 am

I think you'd need an interdisaplainary degree, which is what i plan on doing.

I plan on going to UMass-Amherst and try and get a degree in Asian Politics, mainly Chinese/Korean/Japanese.

But i don't know what type of classes would be needed...Inter'l relations?
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Jacobis » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:52 pm

Tonto,

I'm in the same type of predicament you're in, but perhaps I can be of some assistance. I'll be graduating this Spring (well, a few months away now), and in a year will be applying to graduate schools in hopes of obtaining a graduate degree in pre-modern Asian history. I'm rather choosey in where I look, though, being that I'm unwilling to move too far away (east) of where I grew up. Many places I've looked have very well developed Asian Studies programs, so here is a list of a handful of them you may want to look into. Be aware that these are classified with the objective of locating pre-modern Asian graduate history programs. However, in general, because of the scarcity of these programs, this usually means a good Asian studies program as well.

University of Hawaii - My first choice right now, a GREAT Asian/American exchange program. Its location makes it prime for just hopping over to Asia as well.

University of Michigan - A great Asian history program, very selective but very very accredited.

University of Minnesota - Another great Asian history program specializing primarily in Tang history and art. Also the home of one of the more prominent Asian history journals published in the United States.

University of Washington - As you mentioned, a good option for Asian studies. I live a few hours from here and I can say that it is in a great location with a good Asian population. Having the option to engage in conversation in whatever language you're wanting to speak is a necessary for becoming proficient in Asian studies.

Michigan State University - Another good Asian history program, though not as accredited as U of Michigan. The focus here (in the history department) is primarily on Song through Qing dynasty China, but it also has a very well developed medieval Japanese history program.

University of New Mexico - A pretty good Asian history program, but the language department leaves something to be desired.

University of California - Berkeley - A very good college with a very good and well accredited Asian Studies program. Not my cup of tea due to location, but very prestigious and worth looking at if you're willing to live there. (Yes, I know you mentioned this one)

University of Chicago - Again, you mentioned this one but it's worth posting a link to. Very selective, very prestigious, very good. About as far away from Asia as you can get, but somehow manages to have an extraordinary Asian Studies/history program.

This is just a small selection, and only includes those places that offer Ph. D.'s, but hopefully it will help some. As far as Ivy league colleges go, they're a bit out of my league so I haven't done much research on them. Maybe this should be stickied? I've been looking for a thread like this for months.
-Jac
Jacobis
Tyro

Unread postby Tonto_Simfish » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:01 am

Thank you very much, Jacobis! :) Very nice list!
Then they pushed forward, leaving a bloody trail, and escaped to the northwest. Ma Chao, meanwhile, heedless of his own fatigue or his mount's dashed on, gradually leaving his followers behind.

InquilineKea / Simfish
Tonto_Simfish
Assistant

Unread postby Kristina » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:58 am

There's been alot of college talk lately, so i figured, "Why not!?" Topic bumped!
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Tonto_Simfish » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:02 am

lol, my PM manager just notified me about it. :p
Then they pushed forward, leaving a bloody trail, and escaped to the northwest. Ma Chao, meanwhile, heedless of his own fatigue or his mount's dashed on, gradually leaving his followers behind.

InquilineKea / Simfish
Tonto_Simfish
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:03 am

:shock:

Welcome back, Tonto! So what did you decide to do at the end?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Unread postby Kristina » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:05 am

Lady Wu wrote::shock:

:shock: is right. . .that was just plain weird.
Kristina

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy