Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Bricks » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:22 pm

I think Tolkein is my most favorite writer of all time. He portrays his stories so well, and you get so interested in them in no time from even reading the first page. It amazes me that someone could make up such a story from just telling it to your children. But off that, I cannot beileve someone could make such long stories from just thinking it up and not having a plot in your mind.

Tolkein is probably my idol. He amazes me beyong content. I would not have had so much inspiration from him as I have had now.
Hit the clutch,
Hit the gear,
Hit the gas,
And I'm gone...
Bricks
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:57 am

I just finished the Unfinished Tales, which means I have read most of the major works dealing Middle Earth. I'd say my favourite era is the First Age, what with cool characters like Beren and Luthien, and Turin, and constant fighting against Morgoth. The Third Age is kind of boring by comparison, although it does have the Istari.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:12 pm

This morning, I wrote up a family tree for the three kindreds of the Eldar (including the Vanyar, Noldor, and Teleri). The list pretty much includes most of (but not all (!) of) the important elves in Tolkien's main works.

It's located here: Eldar Family Trees

I'm planning on writing a big family tree for the three houses of the Edain as well, but that won't be for another couple of weeks.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Elven Fury » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:07 pm

Thats awesome Kong Wen, whered you get this? i mean the info to do it... b/c ive seen ones similar before on the internet... but hey this is great, its funny it took me a minute to find what the M meant... :oops:
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bryan » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:19 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I just finished the Unfinished Tales, which means I have read most of the major works dealing Middle Earth. I'd say my favourite era is the First Age, what with cool characters like Beren and Luthien, and Turin, and constant fighting against Morgoth. The Third Age is kind of boring by comparison, although it does have the Istari.

Ah so you took my recommendation and read the Unfinished Tales eh? Good good. I liked Beren and Luthien's tale as well.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:20 pm

Elven Fury wrote:Thats awesome Kong Wen, whered you get this? i mean the info to do it... b/c ive seen ones similar before on the internet... but hey this is great, its funny it took me a minute to find what the M meant... :oops:

Most of the information is right in the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales. I just keep notes when I read. There's also a webpage listed in my sources there. Whenever my notes were unclear, I would go to that page and look up a name, to verify relations or to jog my memory.

Even apart from family trees, that webpage (The Encyclopedia of Arda) is a really good Tolkien reference. It lists pretty much every character, place, etc. and gives some information, cross-references, etc.

And thanks for reminding me about the "m."--I should make a note of it in the next revision of the tree.

Bryan wrote:Ah so you took my recommendation and read the Unfinished Tales eh? Good good. I liked Beren and Luthien's tale as well.

Yeah, I liked it, particularly the tales of Turin and Tuor (probably because of my predeliction for the First Age). I think I still prefer the Silmarillion overall, though.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Bryan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:28 pm

I think a bump is in order for this thread...
Kong Wen wrote:This morning, I wrote up a family tree for the three kindreds of the Eldar (including the Vanyar, Noldor, and Teleri). The list pretty much includes most of (but not all (!) of) the important elves in Tolkien's main works.

It's located here: Eldar Family Trees

I'm planning on writing a big family tree for the three houses of the Edain as well, but that won't be for another couple of weeks.
So, how goes the tree of the Edain? It'd be interesting to see.

Oh, and the Encyclopedia of Arda is an excellent site, although I'd like to buy the interactive edition myself...
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:10 am

I came across this site when I was trying to find more about the Necklace of the Dwarves (Nauglamir): Annals of Arda. I have started my notes again, and am slowly making progress.

I apologize for the double post.
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:50 am

Isn't that a special item in Castelvania SotN? I think I've heard of it somewhere else too.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Well, there are a few Necklaces of the Dwarves out there nowadays... one of the most notable is, and no doubt the one which most are based on, is the Brisingamen, the beautiful golden necklace given to Freya by four dwarves: Alfrigg, Berling, Dvalin and Grerr (otherwise known as the Brisings). The necklace was said to be an emblem of the stars or of the fruitfulness of the earth. It enhanced Freya's beauty so much that she wore it day and night.

Now, one comparison that can be drawn between Tolkien's Nauglamir, and the Norse Brisingamen is that both supposedly made the possessor beautiful, while another comparison is that both are emblems of light; the Brisingamen as an emblem of the stars, and the Nauglamir (after Thingol had the Silmaril mounted on it), which emodied the light of Laurelin and Telperion (the Gold and Silver trees (respectively) which lit the Land of the Valar in ancient times).
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy