Communism or Capitalism?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Communism or Captialism

Captialism
56%
Communism
44%

Total votes : 108

Communism or Capitalism?

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:14 pm

Which one u like better? I want ur to know. Even if most of us live in a captialism country,state.etc.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:24 pm

Capitalism, because while communism is perfect in theory, the fact that man is/can become corrupt makes it not work in reality. Communism is too idealistic in theory to be practical.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:37 pm

None of the above, please. Capitalism is just as succeptible to corruption as communism is.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:37 pm

Rather than restate what T'sao Jian has accruately written, I will add that Capitalism has had centuries of proven worth and endurability. Communism has not.

On a small scale, such as with the early Christian communities (who were originally concerned with the betterment of the many over the one), Communism works fairly well. However, on a nation-wide range where people are out for their own ends, capitalism thrives.
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby JCC » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55 pm

Cao Zhi wrote:Rather than restate what T'sao Jian has accruately written, I will add that Capitalism has had centuries of proven worth and endurability. Communism has not.

On a small scale, such as with the early Christian communities (who were originally concerned with the betterment of the many over the one), Communism works fairly well. However, on a nation-wide range where people are out for their own ends, capitalism thrives.

My thoughts exactly (including the reference to what T'sao Jian said). I'd add more, but you summed it up quite nicely.
JCC
Mod! Law!

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:11 pm

What I meant, Kong Zhengshu, was that if the beauracracy for distributing goods to the people becomes corrupt, then everything goes to hell (Ex: Stalin). In capitalism, the government can be restrained- and has been, for the most part. It is harder for a totalitarian government to arise in capitalism- whereas all the current communist governments can be seen as totalitarian dictatorships.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:05 pm

Capitalism

If I have the chance to become super rich based on my own effort, I'm going to take it. Selfish? Yes.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:53 am

Ts'ao Jian wrote:What I meant, Kong Zhengshu, was that if the beauracracy for distributing goods to the people becomes corrupt, then everything goes to hell (Ex: Stalin). In capitalism, the government can be restrained- and has been, for the most part.

It's not the government being restrained or becoming a totalitarian state that I am worried about.

In a purely capitalist system like what we have in North America (for example), it is easy for self-interest to control the masses, which is just as bad as a totalitarian state, but more covert and less noticeable. What most people don't realize about the US, for example, is that Big Book Publishers and universities are starting to work out exclusive trade agreements, which means that university professors can only use certain books in their classes. It's also dangerous for art and for writers, because if a given company doesn't get the deals, then a bunch of works that should be preserved will go out of print. The education of students is being impinged upon by big companies and economic manoeuvring. It's this kind of thing that gets out of control with capitalism, and it's this king of thing that should be stopped. Universities (and even publishers) should operate independently of that kind of economic interest.

That's right up there with totalitarianism, except it's easy to pull off in a capitalist system, and it's just as scary. And it's only one example of the power of big businesses and their influence over everyday matters in our lives.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Man Chong » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:15 am

I would like to live in a kind of Communism/Capitalist hybrid. Both capitalism and communism has its flaws and such, but if together, they MAYBE CAN repeal each other's weaknesses....

What I meant, Kong Zhengshu, was that if the beauracracy for distributing goods to the people becomes corrupt, then everything goes to hell (Ex: Stalin). In capitalism, the government can be restrained- and has been, for the most part. It is harder for a totalitarian government to arise in capitalism- whereas all the current communist governments can be seen as totalitarian dictatorships.

Now one must keep in mind that Stalin/Lenin/Mao Zedong's "communist" states were all totalitarian states. They did not follow Marx's ideas very closely. (Volkov from 3k.net cn elaborate further...)
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:22 pm

In response to Kong Zhengshu's and Man Chong's posts:

Hmm...didn't know that. However, capitalism has worked for years, while no country has successfully followed Marx. I do not believe that Marx's ideals can be successfully implemented on a nationwide scale (although, say, one town might be able to do it...).

Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy