Basic Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Basic Questions Thread

Unread postby agga » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 pm

i think that, still, you wouldn't capitalize 'english' as in 'spin', though i'm getting less certain on that..
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:35 pm

I think it always gets capitalized. FIrefox has a spell check built in, and I get a red squiggly when I don't capitalize. Same for Spanish, French, German, ect.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm

I have a question but I don't know if this goes here;

I used to read the ZZTJ translations by professor Rafe and his other essays by going to this url
http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/Early_Imperial_China

Right now it doesn't exist, I tried going to their main url and re-directed me here:
http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/blog/

It seems they moved their site, but I still can't find Rafe's page there.. any help? :\
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby laojim » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Yang Dayang wrote:I have a question but I don't know if this goes here;

I used to read the ZZTJ translations by professor Rafe and his other essays by going to this url
http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/Early_Imperial_China

Right now it doesn't exist, I tried going to their main url and re-directed me here:
http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/blog/

It seems they moved their site, but I still can't find Rafe's page there.. any help? :\

Redirection page is: http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Yeah thanks, I know about their new url. But I can't find the old stuff in the new url.

Pretty much all Rafe's works.. can't find them.
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby laojim » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Yang Dayang wrote:Yeah thanks, I know about their new url. But I can't find the old stuff in the new url.

Pretty much all Rafe's works.. can't find them.

I see. Well the search "Early_Imperial_China rafe" turns up several references so if I were looking for this guys work I would email some of these sites, some of which are blogs and ask them where to find the author. I didn't look closely enough to see if he is still at ANU but you could email that institution and ask them. Any assistant professor would be flattered that someone wanted to locate his writings and it wouldn't hurt his reputation to have people searching for his work. If nothing else you just figure out what his department was and look for someone else on the faculty, send them an email and you'll probably get a note about where he is, then you can find him and get what you're looking for.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 pm

It took me several searches and links but this one appears to be working still...

http://dspace.anu.edu.au/html/1885/42048/index.html

Anyway I still have the PDF for most of GoTS (if thats the text you want and that link doesn't work!).
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Actually, Sun Fin's link works perfectly, thanks a lot.

And thank you laojim too, for your help =)
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby laojim » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:27 pm

I watched a film called "Peace Hotel" which is a Chinese western.

The story is based on what appears to me to be a Buddhist conception of a man who leads a bad life and then sees the error of his ways. He founds the Peace Hotel as a refuge for others who are bad people but who can live together. He promises to throw out nobody who comes to him but a woman who is dishonest and manipulative shows up and after several adventures he sneaks her out the hotel to save her life. Everyone interprets this as a violation of vow not to turn anyone away and they all desert him. This breaks a spell that has protected the hotel from intruders and there follows a shootout, recreating the original events that caused our hero to forsake his old life. The finals result is ambiguous.

There is a Peace Hotel in Shanghai, but I don't know if that is significant.

I regard the Hotel owner as something of a Bodhisattva. It is not a character type that I have never seen in a Western story so I would be interested in anyone who knows something about this movie or the themes in it.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 pm

didn't know where I should ask this but in dw3-5 is xu huang a lefty? and in dw6 is guan yu a lefty?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy