Basic Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Mistelten » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:19 am

Anyone read Breakfast of Champions? I bought it on a friend's recommendation(I trust his opinion), but I haven't read it yet. Any thoughts?
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:11 pm

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."- Knute Rockne

I never understood this quote, can anybody tell me what this means? Thanks.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby IsbenFaith » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:13 pm

It means that, no matter how they lost, they still lost.

Being a gracious loser is still being a loser.
"We may fairly say that the U.S. media, despite their righteous self-image as opponents of something called terrorism, serve in fact as loyal agents of terrorism." Edward S. Herman & Noam Chomsky Manufacturing Consent
IsbenFaith
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Feeling something telling me to type "wrapping head in tinfoil."

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:09 pm

I've seen this represented in several movies and books, and I'm sure it's happened in real life as well, but I've never heard a name for a personality disorder in which one becomes obsessed with another's life and wants to take it over, very common in stalkers and fanatics. Does anyone know a specific name for this disorder, or any which could relate to this?
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lucifer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:13 am

I'm going crazy because I can't remember the name of the author or the name of his work- all I can do is describe it.

In 11th grade, one of my teachers gave us a very short work written by, I believe a very young author at the time. I think he was like, sixteen when he wrote it and wrote it during the late 1800's or early 1900's.

All I can remember is that it's about how we "walk on our dead ancestors" everyday, or somesuch. Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? I'd appreciate it greatly if someone could tell me both the author and work.
Lucifer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:36 am

Nationality? Genre? The only person I can think of who turned out literary-quality work at such a young age is Arthur Rimbaud but he would have been a few decades earlier than the period you mention.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lucifer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:20 am

Yes, that info certainly would be helpful, wouldn't it? I really don't know, though. Damn my apathetic high school years.

I want to say that he's British, for some reason- but he could be Irish (pshhh, same place... okay, maybe not). I'm just really unsure. I do know for a fact, though, that he was really young when he wrote it and the thing about walking on the dead- that's it.

I suppose that's not really enough information to work with, but that's all I can think of.
Lucifer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:49 pm

Lucifer wrote:I want to say that he's British, for some reason- but he could be Irish (pshhh, same place... okay, maybe not). I'm just really unsure. I do know for a fact, though, that he was really young when he wrote it and the thing about walking on the dead- that's it.

The "walking/standing on the dead" reminds me of something I once heard about one of the british war poets of the first world war. Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke, Robert Graves or maybe one of the others - see http://www.lib.byu.edu/~english/WWI/poets/poets.html for more bios.

I'd start with Sassoon - his name rang bells. This might give you a lead. Or not. Sorry if this is completely wrong.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:45 am

What is the English word for the device where the author briefly mentions something and builds the story on it later?

For example, (in Red Chamber) a character takes off her three bracelets to eat barbequed antelope, and then she couldn't find one of them after she finished eating and went to put them back on. Then, chapters later, it is revealed that a maid had stolen it.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Belfagor » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:11 am

Seven at One Stroke wrote:What is the English word for the device where the author briefly mentions something and builds the story on it later?

For example, (in Red Chamber) a character takes off her three bracelets to eat barbequed antelope, and then she couldn't find one of them after she finished eating and went to put them back on. Then, chapters later, it is revealed that a maid had stolen it.

I believe the term you are looking for is foreshadowing.

Foreshadow: v. tr. be a warning or indication of (a future event)

That definition is from my Oxford Desk Dictionary.
Belfagor
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy