Basic Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:02 pm

Can somebody give me a general overview on the history of Sepauku? I am doing a speech, and have a History Channel recording that tells a lot about it, but i can't find it... :(

So if somebody could point me in the direction where i could learn the pre/post-Sepauku ritual. Who is credited with the first act, and so forth, it would help me alot, while i look for the video at the same time....
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:18 pm

Here are two links, one on the basic history of the Samurai, and the other on Seppuku as a ritual.

Samurai
Hitokiri

If any more info is required, just ask.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Emily » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Ok, I need a bit of help here.

I'm looking for a poem. I'm pretty sure that it is by Lord Byron, but I could be wrong about that. However, I do know that it is one of the great Romantics. The poem itself is about a man whose lover has died, but--since their affair was a secret--he cannot publicly mourn for her.

Anyway, it's a beautiful poem. I was reminded of it a few days ago, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone could help me out with this, I'd be grateful.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:14 pm

Ok, I think it could be When We Two Parted by the Lord Byron.

http://plagiarist.com/poetry/?wid=5961
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Emily » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Yes! Thank you so very very much! You're awesome!

You know, I can't believe that I didn't remember that... :roll:
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Re: Basic Questions Thread

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:48 am

Emily wrote:That having been said, can anyone recommend to me a good English translation of the Qur'an (Koran)?

Here, please have a look at these pages:

http://www.kuran.gen.tr/html/english1/index.php3
http://www.kuran.gen.tr/html/english2/index.php3
http://www.kuran.gen.tr/html/english3/index.php3
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:12 am

Does any one know a good, possibly multi-volume translation of Romain Rolland's Jean Christophe? Any comments about the book itself?
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:08 am

Ranbir wrote:租界 = Foreign settlement ? (Can someone check that please!)

I know I'm a bit late in responding to this, but yes, that means a foreign settlement. More specifically, it refers to a land concession forced upon China (probably in the aftermath of the Opium Wars) by other powers. Examples include Fuzhou, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Xiamen, Shanghai and Ningbo.
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:43 pm

Is there a site where books such as the Illiad, Odiessy, and even Aneasas[sic] are written in the same prose form as Threekingdoms.com?
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Kurek » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:49 pm

Jiang Xun wrote:Is there a site where books such as the Illiad, Odiessy, and even Aneasas[sic] are written in the same prose form as Threekingdoms.com?

I found this:

The Homer Homepage

It has translations of The Iliad, three translations of The Odyssey, and The Homeric Hymns, complete with notes and cross refferences etc... and also plenty of history, it looks quite good.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
Kurek
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy