Basic Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Basic Questions Thread

Unread postby Korin » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Is it true that Politics originated from Ancient Greece, and when did it come to Ancient Rome and so forth?
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

What is exactly a nihilist? And what would you tell one if you were to meet with one?
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Aygor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:51 am

Tokugawa Liang wrote:What is exactly a nihilist? And what would you tell one if you were to meet with one?

Nihilism is the philosphical and practical denial of life's meaningfulness with all the consequent consequences.
I personally love nihilism, to a certain degree I could consider myself one.
Nihilism as a mindset and philosophical stance should be respected and you shouldn't try to change someone else's mind on the matter other than respectfully discussing your opinions on the issue with the person if the chance arises.

I would say though, that nihilism is often used to rationalize depressive feelings, if that were the case nihilism wouldn't be the problem but it's appearance: in such a case you probably should aim for the core of the problem and concerning those issues listening is usually much more effective than speaking.

That's my opinion anyway, do as you see fit :wink:
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 am

You're right, a nihilist has every right to think as he wants. Thank you for the answer!
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby AlaCarte » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 am

Korin wrote:Is it true that Politics originated from Ancient Greece, and when did it come to Ancient Rome and so forth?

I'm not exactly sure what you actually meant by that but quite a few ideas emerged from Ancient Greece (e.g. Democracy) chances are that politics formed from Rome at the period where Rome defeated Athens and soon the whole of Greece where they ripped most of their ideas such as democracy and the equipment such as war-elephants.

I hope this helps although some might not be accurate.

AlaCarte
AlaCarte
Tyro

Unread postby AlaCarte » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:55 am

Kotaro wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew of any:

- History books on the Three Kingdoms period.
- Novels, perhaps a little akin to RotK, but based around the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan.

Since I'm an unemployed student, free Kindle version would naturally be my first choice, but if none are available, then I'll just have to wait until I have some money and get some then.

Thanks.

Try manga, usually most of the time they're free. There are some mangas based on the three kingdoms such as sangokushi and the ravages of time(in the perspective of the Sima Clan) . Although those aren't books and they are all comics, most of my three kingdoms knowledge actually came from manga. But I'm not particularly sure about the 2nd part as I don't have much knowledge on Japanese history except for maybe Abe no Seimei. :lol:
AlaCarte
Tyro

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun May 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Anyone have any book recommendations for historical war novels, similar to ROTK?

I love Sengoku period, and would like something about that, and also are there any novels anyone can recommend about Alexander the great, and his conquests?
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 am

Taken from the 'Read any good books thread':

Child of Vengeance by David Kirk. It's the first novel in a series based in Samurai Japan. It's about Musashi although the author freely admits he has taken great liberties with his life. Outside of Shogun/Taipan it's the best novel I've read that's been based upon Asian history. I would recommend it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Recently I finished reading The Water Margin, I read the 798 page Tuttle version, and I just found another version with 2149 pages. Have I accidentally read an abridged version? And would you recommend me to still read the full version?
''Dreary, dank, and dimly lit. Truly a sanctuary to call home.''
Jia Shengde
Initiate

Unread postby waywardauthor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Jia Shengde wrote:Recently I finished reading The Water Margin, I read the 798 page Tuttle version, and I just found another version with 2149 pages. Have I accidentally read an abridged version? And would you recommend me to still read the full version?
I am uncertain the degree to which it was abridged, given that I never read the Tuttle version, but it almost certainly was. If you enjoyed it, go for it. I read Outlaws of the Marsh, the version provided by the same people who did Moss's Three Kingdoms translation.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy