Scientific Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:23 am

Ranbir wrote:If they are non nutrients they are expelled from the body.

But where does the actual color go?
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 am

It's either absorbed if it contains something useful for the body, otherwise it's sent out. You know, wee or poo.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:07 am

The colour? It probably changes to a more yellowish color & becomes very mushy once it goes through the stomach. I forget what that stuff is called but it has a name. Then the nutrients & water get sucked out and the yellowish gloop is combined with bacteria to form feces and exit through your anus. Other parts of it exit through your urinary system as said.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Vengeance » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:50 am

If the electronegativities are equal (i.e. if the electronegativity difference is 0), the bond is non-polar covalent
If the difference in electronegativities between the two atoms is greater than 0, but less than 2.0, the bond is polar covalent
If the difference in electronegativities between the two atoms is 2.0, or greater, the bond is ionic

i get those, but what other rules are there to distinguish polar and non poalr and ionic?

my friend said metal and non metal are ionic,, and things dissolves in water are ionic too..
Strap him with an Ak-47, let him go, fight his own war
Let him impress daddy that way
No more blood for oil, we got our own battles to fight on our own soil
No more psychological warfare, to trick us to thinking that we ain't loyal
MOSH NOW OR DIE
Vengeance
Initiate

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:05 am

SlickSlicer wrote:The colour? It probably changes to a more yellowish color & becomes very mushy once it goes through the stomach. I forget what that stuff is called but it has a name. Then the nutrients & water get sucked out and the yellowish gloop is combined with bacteria to form feces and exit through your anus. Other parts of it exit through your urinary system as said.

The food becomes chyme after passing through the stomach. Also, I think the dyes are broken down as the pass through the digestive tract.

And Vengeance, I'll try to answer your question here...I bombed Chem last year... :( .

Anyways, you can identify whether or not a bond is polar, non-polar, or ionic through its intermolecular forces. London for non-polar; london, dipole-dipole, and hydrogen for polar; ionic for ionic bonding. Ionic bonds tend to ccur when a non-metal and metal are bonded. An example of this would be salt (NaCl), where sodium is a metal and chlorine is a non-metal. Covalent bonds occur between two non-metals. Another way to identify the differences is by looking at the compound's properties (eg: melting point, solubility, etc).
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Vengeance » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:00 am

aite man, thanks, no wonder your scholar :D

i;'am in gr 12 highschool's last year.. :( i suck at cheimstry so much.. i wonder how i can get over 85 in bio and chem this year inorder to go into university... so frustrated... getting tutored this week.. first time this year..

:@

hm.. like, how do you know what kind of forces it is? just give you a chemical.. how do you tell if it's hydrogen bond, ionic, dip dip, or london?

sorry for the fuss.. are you in universtiy?
MOSH NOW OR DIE
Vengeance
Initiate

Unread postby Guan Yunchang » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 am

I'll answer your question.

Ionic interactions occur between charged ions in the same way that magnets work. The elctronegatives between atoms are large enough that atoms steal electrons from eachother. This imbalance attracts the oppositely charged ions, which makes this the most powerful bond.

Hydrogen bonding is a common bond found in nature. When a hydrogen atom covalently bonds to small atoms that are highly electonegative, it creates a stabalizing force.

Two forces with permanent dipoles can bond in the same way ionic bonds are made. Dipole-dipole reactions are only weaker because dipoles suck.

London dispersion forces are a polarization between temporaily induced dipoles which can be induced either by a polar molecule or by the repulsion of negatively charged electron clouds in nonpolar molecules. This is very weak and like I said, dipoles suck. But why would you care about chemistry when you can study physics anyway?

And as for how to tell between them, just look at your chemical. Figure out the two atoms being bonded. Figure out how. Check with the guide I just gave. If that's too complicated, then you could probably just find out the bond in any given chemical by looking it up.
Last edited by Guan Yunchang on Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do, crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see.
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.
Rest in piece Liao Hua.
Guan Yunchang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Rest in peace good buddy. I only hope you missed me as much as I miss you now.

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:04 am

Vengeance wrote:sorry for the fuss.. are you in universtiy?

Nope...Grade 12.

Anyways, if I had Guan Yunchang's explanation, I would not have done so bably on the exam... :?
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Vengeance » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:31 am

so you did bad on your gr 11 exam?
lol, i did horrible.. i dont know if i passed the exam or not.. but i passed the course though... cause i had friends helping! lol

thx for the explaination Guan yu
MOSH NOW OR DIE
Vengeance
Initiate

Unread postby Zu Mao » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 am

In relation to an earlyer post
Equinox said
Something I never quite figured out: do you age at a different rate on prolonged stays out of the planet (in spacecrafts, on other planets)? Is aging is directly affected by being on Earth?

isn't ageing affected by radiation?
so if you were in space where there is little radiation you would age slower
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing
Zu Mao
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy