Scientific Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Coxix » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:22 am

Question: Is logic a form of natural sciences or social sciences?
What about mathematics?
<a href="http://coxix.blogspot.com/">My Bunk </a>
Coxix
Scholar

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:31 pm

Coxix wrote:Question: Is logic a form of natural sciences or social sciences?
What about mathematics?

I wouldn't say that logic is a form of science, but it is a necessary tool of all sciences, as well as math.
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Coxix » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:34 am

matter is made up of the same materials which is the atom. Can it be possible to make gold out of another metal? Perhaps with the use of nuclear fusion and fision?
Coxix
Scholar

Unread postby Mu Shu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:56 am

Coxix wrote:matter is made up of the same materials which is the atom. Can it be possible to make gold out of another metal? Perhaps with the use of nuclear fusion and fision?

Yes, in principle at least. In nuclear reactions one element is often changed into another element. For example a fusion reaction is where lighter elements "fuse" into heavier ones. A fission reaction is where heavier elements are broken down into lighter ones.

For example:
Uranium 235 bombarded by neutrons becomes Barium and Krypton and some neutrons.
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Unread postby Mu Shu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:01 am

fantasycrusader wrote:
Ranir wrote:I'll give you a point from which you can start from, and that is the Uncertainty Principle. This prevents us from talking about initial conditions in quantum mechanics since we cannot know the position and velocity of a particle simulataneously.

Yea. I can back him on this. Take the example of a candle flame. If I were to pose the question of, "Where is the candle flame?" t you, it's not really possible to answer it accurately as the candle flame is "more" in some places and "less" in others.

That's a misintepretation of the Uncertainty Principle. At the macroscale, Quantum Mechanics degenerates into Classical Physics, i.e. for large scale things we can very precisely obtain the position and velocity simultaneously. Hence we know exactly where your candle flame is. You simply need a camera with a high frame rate.
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Unread postby Coxix » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:26 am

Mu Shu wrote:
Coxix wrote:matter is made up of the same materials which is the atom. Can it be possible to make gold out of another metal? Perhaps with the use of nuclear fusion and fision?

Yes, in principle at least. In nuclear reactions one element is often changed into another element. For example a fusion reaction is where lighter elements "fuse" into heavier ones. A fission reaction is where heavier elements are broken down into lighter ones.

For example:
Uranium 235 bombarded by neutrons becomes Barium and Krypton and some neutrons.

Though the products often are unstable elements and gases........and it requires a huge amount of energy.
Coxix
Scholar

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:04 am

Is there such a thing as regular weathering? You know, weathering that ain't chemical, physical, or bioliogical. Just..weathering.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:14 am

You know how there are dyes in certain foods and drinks, say orange crush? What happens to the dye after you consume it? Where does it go?
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:20 am

If they are non nutrients they are expelled from the body.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:50 am

I learned about this before but I forgot a lot. Why is it that music sometimes makes people get a certain tingle or feel a certain way? I know it has something to do with resonance.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy