Scientific Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Scientific Questions Thread

Unread postby Korin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Alien life is not fiction, why are you being so close minded and ignorant? You can't be blind so much that you think we are the only life in this universe? There's life out there, you know. And this not speculation, this is FACT. We can't be the only ones. There's thousands of galaxies or even more out there, so the alien life may not be in the galaxies near us, but maybe in 100 away, or so. In future, when we get the things we need to space travel millions of light years in less than a week, we will know. But for now I will believe because I refuse to accept the ignorance of only life in the universe is here, since that's just idiotic, it's fact there is alien life out there, so if you refuse to accept this, you will be labelled as close-minded and ignorant.

Just because we don't have evidence yet, doesn't mean they don't exist, that's like saying to the aliens out there saying the same thing about us, they like "We don't have evidence if life exists out there, so therefore don't exist." - So alien life does exist because they can say we don't exist, LOL. - So yeah, aliens are real because we are 'aliens' to them, so yeah.

Evidence only solidifies stuff, things don't need evidence to exist because in the past, we didn't have evidence of some stuff and when we did, we found out they did exist or this was real and all, so stop being ignorant. BTW you can't say aliens are fake stuff, cause we're aliens to the others out there and vice versa.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Well, if we don't have evidence yet, alien life can't be a fact, right?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Korin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Well, if we don't have evidence yet, alien life can't be a fact, right?

The "aliens" could say the same thing about us.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Korin wrote:
Lady Wu wrote:Well, if we don't have evidence yet, alien life can't be a fact, right?

The "aliens" could say the same thing about us.

Yes, they could.

You are right that whether or not we have evidence for something does not determine whether or not it exists and that a lack of evidence of extraterrestrial life does not prove that they do not exist. That said, until there is evidence, it can't quite be classified as a fact. Some may argue that it is highly likely that aliens exist, but until it is confirmed with evidence, it can't be considered a fact. So if somewhere out there aliens observe Earth with there telescopes and theorize that maybe there's life here, our existence wouldn't be fact to them until they had evidence.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Because of the vast magnitude of the universe, I'm compelled to believe there's alien life (as are many). Statistically, it should be likely. It could be right or wrong, I'm not sure.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:53 pm

I believe there are aliens out there. That is all it is though, a belief. We have never found or met aliens, there is no evidence that they exist. They are not a fact of the universe as far as we know. Just like we aren't a fact to the aliens until they discover us.

Korin wrote:it's fact there is alien life out there, so if you refuse to accept this, you will be labelled as close-minded and ignorant.

I don't think Shi is likely to be labelled as anything due to this thread or the way he has handled this discussion. Saying something like that repeatedly in a post when someone disagrees with you? That's more likely to leave a label and I think your better then that.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Korin wrote:Alien life is not fiction,

Evidence?

why are you being so close minded and ignorant?

It isn't close-minded to demand proof before believing something, it is rational. Also what I am ignorant of? One can't be ignorant of something unless there is something to know. Considering there is nothing known about extraterrestrial life there is nothing to be ignorant of. You should choose more appropriate words.

You can't be blind so much that you think we are the only life in this universe?

It is nothing more than speculation that there is intelligent life elsewhere. While its not ridiculous to entertain the statistical possibility, its is ridiculous to say there is factual proof of alien life out there. As far as we know currently, there isn't.

There's life out there, you know. And this not speculation, this is FACT.

No I don't know, and I don't believe you understand what the word "fact" means. Facts have objective reality that can be verified in some manner. There are no facts to support your position. Also claiming this over and over again doesn't make it true. If you want to provide factual basis to your claim, fine. Otherwise you're just engaging in speculation and unfounded claims.

There's thousands of galaxies or even more out there, so the alien life may not be in the galaxies near us, but maybe in 100 away, or so. In future, when we get the things we need to space travel millions of light years in less than a week, we will know.

This is fairly close to the definition of speculation. Assuming things without sufficient evidence.

But for now I will believe because I refuse to accept the ignorance of only life in the universe is here, since that's just idiotic, it's fact there is alien life out there, so if you refuse to accept this, you will be labelled as close-minded and ignorant.

Again, you a) demonstrate a lack of understanding of the word 'fact' and b) demonstrate a lack of understanding of the word 'ignorant'. It isn't close minded or ignorant to not believe something that lacks any basis in fact. In fact its usually those who believe in things such as aliens and cover-ups and other conspiracies who are labeled as ignorant, irrational, and naive.

Just because we don't have evidence yet, doesn't mean they don't exist,

First true thing I've seen. Absence of proof doesn't prove something doesn't exist. But it also gives no rational basis to believe something exists either. At the least anyone choosing to do so must acknowledge they are engaging in wishful hoping and speculation.

that's like saying to the aliens out there saying the same thing about us, they like "We don't have evidence if life exists out there, so therefore don't exist." -

I'd hope they'd say this. If not, they'd be irrational.

So alien life does exist because they can say we don't exist, LOL. - So yeah, aliens are real because we are 'aliens' to them, so yeah.

So this is circular logic that is nonsense that doesn't go to the existence of extraterrestrials.

Evidence only solidifies stuff, things don't need evidence to exist because in the past, we didn't have evidence of some stuff and when we did, we found out they did exist or this was real and all, so stop being ignorant.

Evidence is proof of an objective reality. Things don't need evidence to exist as their existence is evidence of existence. However, evidence is needed to believe in the existence of something. Believing in something without evidence is merely speculation or faith. It is irrational. In the past we irrationally believed in many things without evidence, for instance that the world was flat or a number of other things which were not true. Not believing in those ideas wouldn't have made anyone ignorant.

Dictionary.com is your friend.

BTW you can't say aliens are fake stuff, cause we're aliens to the others out there and vice versa.

Circular logic and unsupported claims again. Since I can't say 'others out there exist' we aren't aliens to anyone.

epaminondas146871 wrote:Because of the vast magnitude of the universe, I'm compelled to believe there's alien life (as are many). Statistically, it should be likely. It could be right or wrong, I'm not sure.

Now this is at least a rational proposition. I think many acknowledge a statistic possibility, but it doesn't change the calculus of not believing something without evidence.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Uh, we are aliens to them and vice versa, and yes one day we will encounter each other somehow but until then people from both sides are gonna say the same thing, like "ok we need evidence." - but seriously, they do exist cause they say same thing, "Do others exist in the universe?" - when we do, so therefore there is life out there, and I know it isn't a fact yet but soon will be, you can't just decline it--since it's pretty obvious there is. Others in the universe is in the same place as us, they don't know if or if not others exist in the universe, so yeah all humanoid species are isolated from each other and are some are doubting from all sides, and some are believers. (we are included in the humanoid species)

There's astronauts from Earth searching the galaxy and there's probably even astronauts from other worlds doing the same thing in their galaxies, etc. This is what I believe, and one day we will be in contact with different species too, so will others in the universe. Universe is a big place, very big--so there is bound to be life out there. So please, you can say they don't exist YET because no evidence, but PLEASE do NOT decline it. This goes to any doubters.

Same goes with religious people, their 'god' - is actually God of the Universe. Since 'Heaven' - IIRC - is above the Universe, not the sky, since above the sky is outer space, so above the universe / outer space, is only way. 'Hell' is below the Universe / Outer Space, you leave this planet and instead of going up to Heaven, you go down to Hell. This is for the religious people of course, and my theory on it.

Because of the vast magnitude of the universe, I'm compelled to believe there's alien life (as are many). Statistically, it should be likely. It could be right or wrong, I'm not sure.

Yeah, universe is HUGE. So it is likely there's another life out there, people can doubt it but they cannot decline it.

Yes, they could.

You are right that whether or not we have evidence for something does not determine whether or not it exists and that a lack of evidence of extraterrestrial life does not prove that they do not exist. That said, until there is evidence, it can't quite be classified as a fact. Some may argue that it is highly likely that aliens exist, but until it is confirmed with evidence, it can't be considered a fact. So if somewhere out there aliens observe Earth with there telescopes and theorize that maybe there's life here, our existence wouldn't be fact to them until they had evidence.

It is highly likely other life exists, but I hope there is evidence one day to confirm it for real. And yes there is aliens out there who study this too like ones on Earth, and wonder if there is life out there too. 'Aliens' don't know we exist until they have facts/evidences and vice versa.

TBH, I think there's even aliens out there who argue with their own kind about life out there in the universe like we do here on Earth.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Korin wrote:Uh, we are aliens to them and vice versa,

Who is 'them?' Do 'them' exist? Proof?

and yes one day we will encounter each other somehow

Speculation.

but until then people from both sides are gonna say the same thing, like "ok we need evidence."

I'd hope. That is rational discourse amongst intelligent people.

- but seriously, they do exist cause they say same thing, "Do others exist in the universe?" -

Again, circular logic. You can't prove existence of extraterrestrials by saying that fictitious people may hypothetically be following similar thought patterns as us.

when we do, so therefore there is life out there,

No. Alien life isn't proven by the fact that we wonder if extraterrestrial life exists.

and I know it isn't a fact yet but soon will be, you can't just decline it--since it's pretty obvious there is.

If it isn't a fact, then there no reason to assume 'it soon will be'. And no, I have no reason to believe we will 'soon' discover extraterrestrials. Also no, nothing is obvious here.

Others in the universe is in the same place as us, they don't know if or if not others exist in the universe, so yeah all humanoid species are isolated from each other and are some are doubting from all sides, and some are believers. (we are included in the humanoid species)

I have no reason to believe or assume there are others in the universe, that they are thinking what we are, or that they are humanoid. These all little more than assumptions and speculation.

There's astronauts from Earth searching the galaxy

We don't really have astronauts searching the galaxy (in the sense you mean) from my knowledge. From my knowledge the only people in space are sitting in the ISS studying the observable. Most exploration or discovery seems to be completed by robots or telescopes if I recall correctly.

and there's probably even astronauts from other worlds doing the same thing in their galaxies, etc.

No reason to believe or assume this.

This is what I believe, and one day we will be in contact with different species too, so will others in the universe. Universe is a big place, very big--so there is bound to be life out there. So please, you can say they don't exist YET because no evidence, but PLEASE do NOT decline it. This goes to any doubters.

You decline invitations and offers. You deny allegations, etc. Yes I do deny the existence of extraterrestrial lives until I have reason to believe otherwise. There is a possibility extraterrestrial life exists, but at this point thats just speculation. And I'm fine with that kind of speculation because it goes no farther.

Same goes with religious people, their 'god' - is actually God of the Universe. Since 'Heaven' - IIRC - is above the Universe, not the sky, since above the sky is outer space, so above the universe / outer space, is only way. 'Hell' is below the Universe / Outer Space, you leave this planet and instead of going up to Heaven, you go down to Hell. This is for the religious people of course, and my theory on it.

And you misunderstand the concepts of Heaven and Hell, as they don't exist in this reality. They are tales of afterlife, which exist in in the extrarational not in the physical world. Either way, no religious people connect this in any way with space travel.

Yeah, universe is HUGE. So it is likely there's another life out there, people can doubt it but they cannot decline it.

People are free to disbelieve, deny, and doubt anything without proof.

It is highly likely other life exists, but I hope there is evidence one day to confirm it for real. And yes there is aliens out there who study this too like ones on Earth, and wonder if there is life out there too. 'Aliens' don't know we exist until they have facts/evidences and vice versa.

I'm fine with you believing its likely there is extraterrestrial life out there, and hoping we one day have proof. But you make these statements of possibilities and hope and then immediately jump to conclusion such 'there is definitely alien life'. That nots a logical leap.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Robots can use space travel to go to other galaxies!! Explore!! Also Aliens can say the same thing about us 'like I dont want to believe until there is evidence.' says mr. alien 1, while alien 2 is like me. Lol and they call us Aliens, Hah aah!

ISS can use robots to send them to other planets past Pluto, I also heard there is planets past Pluto, what are their names?

Heaven and Hell is in outer space, they are afterlife yes. They are not on this planet, Heaven is above the universe where all the species go, we will meet other species when we die perhaps, or perhaps we will just be re-born somewhere in the universe.

Hell is opposite of Heaven which is below the Universe.

WE ARE NOT ALONE.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy