Scientific Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Scientific Questions Thread

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Korin wrote:
ISS can use robots to send them to other planets past Pluto, I also heard there is planets past Pluto, what are their names?

This is the only question in the entire post. Everything else is a speculative rant.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I know, I forgot my '/rant' at end of the post, but I WAS ASKING about the planets past pluto.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 am

I've always wondered how exactly steel is made. I know that it is an alloy. I know it is a mixture of mainly iron and carbon (with a few other elements). What I don't know, is how steel would be made. Let's say, in the form of a blacksmith forging a steel sword with medieval methods.

Is carbon and iron both mined separately and then mixed whenst they are heated into molten liquid (is that even possible)? Is the carbon already in the iron ore, and then made more prevalent when impurities are removed from the metal during the forging process? Or, is the carbon somehow absorbed into the metal from the air (this one sounds ridiculous even to me)?
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Korin wrote:ISS can use robots to send them to other planets past Pluto, I also heard there is planets past Pluto, what are their names?

Eris, and an explanation of what a dwarf planet is. We know of or have evidence of additional dwarf planets or solar bodies beyond Neptune. (You can see some of their names—practical or boring—in the article).

Korin wrote:Heaven and Hell is in outer space, they are afterlife yes. They are not on this planet, Heaven is above the universe where all the species go, we will meet other species when we die perhaps, or perhaps we will just be re-born somewhere in the universe.

Hell is opposite of Heaven which is below the Universe.

We know nothing about this, scientifically. Of course. It's a subject taken on faith.

Korin wrote:WE ARE NOT ALONE.

Most scientists agree with you. Of course, many, like Stephen Hawking, expect encountering them would not end well for us.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 pm

FoxWithWings wrote:I've always wondered how exactly steel is made. I know that it is an alloy. I know it is a mixture of mainly iron and carbon (with a few other elements). What I don't know, is how steel would be made. Let's say, in the form of a blacksmith forging a steel sword with medieval methods.

Is carbon and iron both mined separately and then mixed whenst they are heated into molten liquid (is that even possible)? Is the carbon already in the iron ore, and then made more prevalent when impurities are removed from the metal during the forging process? Or, is the carbon somehow absorbed into the metal from the air (this one sounds ridiculous even to me)?

There are some good videos on YouTube! Some are much shorter and discuss the subject in more general terms. :)
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:24 am

There are some good videos on YouTube! Some are much shorter and discuss the subject in more general terms. :)

Yes, I actually looked it up, after I asked the question. I waded through a lot of stuff, and wondered if I could get a even better explanation here. I'm still confused on how the carbon and iron are mixed though.

Also learned that steel has been around for much longer than I originally thought.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:12 pm

FoxWithWings wrote:Yes, I actually looked it up, after I asked the question. I waded through a lot of stuff, and wondered if I could get a even better explanation here. I'm still confused on how the carbon and iron are mixed though.

Also learned that steel has been around for much longer than I originally thought.

Caveat that I have no professional knowledge relevant to this subject, but alloys are basically combining two or more melted metals and allowing them to cool. That's a dramatic oversimplification as the amounts, temperatures, and time periods (e.g. cooling time and rate) are important to the process, and in some cases chemicals are used to imbue certain properties or address certain concerns. There may be multiple stages to a process. Specifics, in many cases, are regarded as trade secrets.

So the best answer I can give to the process is that they're melted together and cooled through a process appropriate to the substances involved and the desired end product.

Here is some more information on carbon steel.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:29 am

Caveat that I have no professional knowledge relevant to this subject, but alloys are basically combining two or more melted metals and allowing them to cool. That's a dramatic oversimplification as the amounts, temperatures, and time periods (e.g. cooling time and rate) are important to the process, and in some cases chemicals are used to imbue certain properties or address certain concerns. There may be multiple stages to a process. Specifics, in many cases, are regarded as trade secrets.

So the best answer I can give to the process is that they're melted together and cooled through a process appropriate to the substances involved and the desired end product.

Here is some more information on carbon steel.

I do know what an alloy is (like bronze: copper and tin), but thank you for the help James. I appreciate it.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:24 pm

I recommend PMing our infrequent member Aaron K. I know that he has a notable interest in weapons and I think that includes how they are made.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy