Scientific Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:33 am

I think its more to do with relativity and the speed of light. If you move at very high speeds, apparently time slows down - so you experience less of it. Consequently, if one twin moves from point A to point B at the speed of light, then sits there for the other twin to arrive at the speed of sound, the slower twin ages more than the faster because they experience more time. Bit beyond me I'm afraid.

They did some experiments on this some time ago and "proved" it, although I understand there was some argument about the relative :wink: timekeeping capabilities of the timepieces they used for the experiment.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Zibbuto » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:13 am

A question about relativity (I'm just having an exam about that): all know that the two realativistic invariants are the form of the physical laws and the speed of light. Now, my teacher told us that there are also the time dilatation and three kind of interval (\delta-t, \delta-S...). He added mass too, but he said that it's a quite personal matter... :D
What do you think about it? Are they invariants or not?
I'm sorry for this "technical" question.... :oops:

BTW, I think Sun Hua's right about aging while travelling in the space (and at speeds quite near c, the speed of light)
FUKUSHIMA: I hate tractor-beam! It makes me itching!
HONDA: are you sure that there aren't crab louses?
http://starkessen.altervista.org/Englis ... hPage.html
The Zibbuto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Somewhere in time... Planning to become Zhuge Liang's worse Nightmare

Unread postby Xia » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:24 pm

With the speed of light.. Only light waves can travel that fast? Electomagnetic things? Its impossible for atoms to travel that fast because they become infinately heavy? Is that right?
Xia
Assistant

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Does a refrigerator that's packed full of food consume more energy than an empty one?
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Yes. It is always recommended to not store too much.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Re: Scientific Questions Thread

Unread postby Lu_Zhishen » Sat May 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Question:
Is true that heating water using microwave oven might cause some health risk?
Lu_Zhishen
Tyro

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat May 17, 2008 9:35 pm

Doubt it. Microwaves cook food by heating up water and fats.

Of course, be careful if you do reheat a drink. Obviously don't leave it in there for more than a minute. Anything more is gonna be overkill and might make it explode. - but even that is an extreme thing. You're safe.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Harimau » Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 am

Housewife wisdom says to put some kind of stick to break the water's surface, so that it won't explode.

Don't know how true that is, though.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby talon1579 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:09 pm

The risk is that in a microwave, water can boil without actually forming steam (I'm not quite sure why) - stirring it or breaking the surface would then provide nucleation points for the steam to form, which would cause a small explosion. This effect can be observed with coke and mentos, which causes coke to fizz up tremendously. But coke is harmless - while water at more than 100C is rather dangerous.
talon1579
Changshi

Re:

Unread postby James » Mon May 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Does a refrigerator that's packed full of food consume more energy than an empty one?

Haha... how about that. I've read many places that it uses less energy. :lol:
This might actually have an impact on the way I stock my fridge.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy