Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
50%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 496

Unread postby Wen Choung » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:47 am

I am not a Catholic, but I've been raised and educated in the Catholic tradition. From the Catholic perspective, there are many "proofs" that argue the existence of the Christian God.

Here is a website arguing the existence of God, but not necessarily the Christian God. I learned this in my religion class and my teacher stressed that these arguments were not meant to convert nonbelievers, but to reaffirm believers.

Believer or non-believer, I think these arguments are still interesting, as it combines theology and logic together seemlessly. The site is actually pretty good, as it outlines the arguments very simply.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:18 pm

I'm a Sunni Muslim from the Hanefi (Hanafi) branch like most of the Turks (except the Alevi [Alavi] and Caferi [Jafari] Shiites); but I'm not *very* religious.

So yes, I believe in God.

If I wasn't a Muslim, I would have wanted to be a believer of the Ancient Turkish Religion, or I wouyd have wanted to be a Mithraist :lol:
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Kevin » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:25 am

I am an athieist(sp?), yet I somewhat believe in fate. In my version of fate, fate can be changed, but the "fate" you are going towards is the result with the highest probability. Knowing personality, I believe this "fate" is calculatable(sp?), but it will be extremely hard to calculate.

Back to the point, I do not believe in God.
Kevin

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:52 am

No, I do not believe in God, god, or any gods, in fact, the more I look at the word god, the stranger it seem. It's quite disturbing to think an omnipotent being can be described in a three-lettered word. On the other hand, the Chinese character for gods can also mean a person's soul/awareness...
Last edited by Seven at One Stroke on Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:00 am

I believe in God. How can I not? There is to much scientific and mathematical evidence supporting His existance. The confusing thing about God is that it is impossible to comprehend beings higher than ourselves. That's why some people say,"How can there be a God if I have free will?" God is omnipotent. As humans, we're pretty dang far from that. If He is truly all-powerful, His power would go beyond our comprehension. So He can create everything, have an ultimate plan that all factors into, and give us free choice. If God were comprehensible, He would be nothing more than a human with special powers and would therefore not be God.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby n06guy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:11 am

No, I do not believe in God, god, or any gods, in fact, the more I look at the word god, the stranger it seem. It's quite disturbing to think an omnipotent being can be described in a three-lettered word.

Heres a history of the Name of God. First off. God's name in Hebrew Is YHWH, which i cannot say since the old hebrew tounge had no vowels, i have no clue how it sould be pronounced. Now the first form of the divine name is Elohim. Elohim is used frequently in the Old Testement. Now, back way back when and even now (i dont know my jewish history that well), They called God Adhonay. The Closest thing and most distinctive name is Yahweh, a mix of the YHWH and Adhonay. In the song of "Moses" the word Tsur (rock) is used 5 times i believe. Another form whcih is used by the man Job is Shadday which means Almighty. In the book of psalms Kadhosh is also used frequently. As in the book of Exodus, when Moses is called by God he asks what he should say if the Israelites ask him who sent him. God answered

14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Ex 3:14 (KJV)

So meaning, God's name is I AM, but then i probably blotched this whole name thing as usual.
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby Book of Faith » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:28 pm

I do beleive in that there is a God, but i will say I am not his most avid follower.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:37 pm

No... I beileve in myself.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Chao Yun » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:12 pm

I belive in God but i'm not very religuos(I spelt Religuos wrong didnt I)
I serve Liu Pei and him only
I am the great Chao Yun,just come and fight me
Chao Yun
Student

Unread postby Omega52 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:22 am

no
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy