Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
243
50%
No
169
34%
Other
78
16%
 
Total votes : 490

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Korin » Fri May 03, 2013 3:27 pm

God[s] of the universe, this 'god' doesn't look like a human at all, It has special features/attributes to its look, and it is obviously other-worldy.. this god is the universe's founder and is not what christians/muslims/jews believe, and more of like Hinduism or Zeke (did I misspell that?). But personally it's not even that either, but humans will never ever find out if the God exists or not because it won't reveal itself ever, it likes to play with it's "toys" of the universe. But maybe one day, but not on this planet for sure--no 'God' is ever gonna come storming down to Earth ever, but maybe some day out there in the universe, but for now we won't know. I mean there were the Mythological deities, but was there truly any evidence they actually had contact with Earth? This is the beauty of Deities... so mythological...

So one day the God of the universe may contact all the planets and make a message, or even Extraterrestrials doing that instead---for now we won't know since this could not even happen in our life time, maybe in the next. I might die--and go live on another planet with another life, or I will go to the Heaven or Hell of the universe, we'll see. But we know for sure, there is no eternal blackness. BTW - I am not religious, but heaven or hell isn't on Earth, it's above and below in outer space.

But personally, I STILL believe I am going to live another life on a different planet as a different species, so yeah this is what I believe and we can't know for sure until we die.

Hell, this could be what God looks like.

Image - and then 'God' takes on any form it wants to take.

edit: I'd laugh if all those Ancient Aliens guys were right all along, LMFAO. xD
Soshi.
User avatar
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Korin wrote:God[s] of the universe, this 'god' doesn't look like a human at all, It has special features/attributes to its look, and it is obviously other-worldy.. this god is the universe's founder and is not what christians/muslims/jews believe, and more of like Hinduism or Zeke (did I misspell that?). But personally it's not even that either, but humans will never ever find out if the God exists or not because it won't reveal itself ever, it likes to play with it's "toys" of the universe. But maybe one day, but not on this planet for sure--no 'God' is ever gonna come storming down to Earth ever, but maybe some day out there in the universe, but for now we won't know. I mean there were the Mythological deities, but was there truly any evidence they actually had contact with Earth? This is the beauty of Deities... so mythological...

So one day the God of the universe may contact all the planets and make a message, or even Extraterrestrials doing that instead---for now we won't know since this could not even happen in our life time, maybe in the next. I might die--and go live on another planet with another life, or I will go to the Heaven or Hell of the universe, we'll see. But we know for sure, there is no eternal blackness. BTW - I am not religious, but heaven or hell isn't on Earth, it's above and below in outer space.

But personally, I STILL believe I am going to live another life on a different planet as a different species, so yeah this is what I believe and we can't know for sure until we die.

Hell, this could be what God looks like.

Image - and then 'God' takes on any form it wants to take.

edit: I'd laugh if all those Ancient Aliens guys were right all along, LMFAO. xD


Wish you all the best with those beliefs.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4307
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Aygor » Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Korin wrote:God[s] of the universe, this 'god' [...]

Nice speculation.
I honestly like the merging of extraterrestrial and deities, even though there's no reason whatsoever to believe it.
Korin wrote:edit: I'd laugh if all those Ancient Aliens guys were right all along, LMFAO. xD

Don't worry about that, they are not right.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
User avatar
Aygor
Langzhong
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Happiness » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:41 am

I can only make conclusions about what I have observed. I have spent some time trying to quantify and qualify the intrinsic nature of reality, just as we all do in our own way. I dabbled in various religions, but none of them ever really gave me any answers. They simply told me to worship various figures without any explanation as to why I should do so. I was expected to believe in things, yet I had encountered no rational evidence that supported any beliefs.

So I examined the world around me. I saw that everything was linked; that nothing was ever truly created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to the next. A seed became a sapling, a sapling became a tree, and the tree would die and vanish back into the soil. I remember that I liked watching trees in the wind because they reminded me of humanity. The soil was the universe, the tree was earth, and the leaves were living beings. Even as the leaves withered and fell, they went back into the soil and became nourishment, and eventually leaves would sprout from the branches again. And even when the tree died, it went on to nourish and become apart of all of the living things around it.

It seemed all living things could connect. Every piece of creation could be transformed to eventually become anything else. I can't eat sunlight, yet the plants can ,in a way. And so by eating plants, I am in fact doing the impossible and eating sunlight. How could all of these chemicals and particles be so interconnected unless they shared some base component, some inherent nature that had the potential to become any form? In modern science, this is referred to as "matter" more or less, a blanket term for the smallest particles that are inherent in all forms and structures. Then something hit me.

This concept seemed very much like the Buddhist idea of existence. Eventually all things can become any other thing through the various functions of life. Inherently all things must have some connection in order to have this potential, or else they wouldn't have any compatibility at all, but they do. The smallest piece of dirt has the potential to become apart of the construct of any other form of matter, given time and the proper circumstances.

However, it is still very odd. These base components must exist, or else there would be no common ground or connectivity between any other form of existence. All of reality would be an incoherent mess, incapable of anything other than unimaginable chaos. The fact that the universe has laws, equations, predictability, and properties that envelop all of creation refutes the idea that we are not all connected. But think about it. If the smallest pieces of creation truly do exist then they are a contradiction. They are incapable of thought or any kind of sense or discernment, and they are identical. That being so, the fact that we have any chemicals, elements, life forms, really any forms at all, means that each particle has some sort of will to connect to other pieces of matter. And yet if that were so, all of the universe would be one solid block of matter, as all of the pieces would attract to each other. And yet if matter inherently didn't have that attraction, there would be no forms at all.

So matter itself must has the will to connect, and yet when it does connect to other pieces it creates properties and circumstances that prevent other pieces from joining up at the moment. It is constantly attracted to other matter, but can not always act on that attraction. To see it in action, put your hand on a patch of dirt. If matter wanted to connect to other matter, wouldn't your hand and the dirt become one? And yet if it didn't wouldn't your hand never be able to become apart of the dirt? Yet we as humans die and are eaten by insects and various decomposers and eventually proccesed into soil.

To me, this seems like the Christian, Judaist, and Islamic concept of God. A force throughout existence that is within the fabric of all things. It is an intrinsic nature that sustains the existence of reality, and through it all things "work out in the end". Death is just a new beginning, and Life is just a new ending waiting to happen. Heaven, in my opinion, is realizing this. Understanding reality and realizing that there is no need to fear.

In my opinion, we all are alive, and will one day become "base components" again. Many Buddhists cling to the base components as what is "real" and life as what is "fake", that the dark void of the universe is true while all of it's creations are impermanent and false. I disagree. Both creation and destruction, void and form are as real and fundamental as the other, as well as important. Life is as real as lifelessness. Both are apart of reality, and so how could anyone claim to be at one with reality when they refuse to acknowledge half of it?

In short, live. Look at the world around you and decide what is "right" and what is "wrong" judging by what evidence you are presented with. Do what you feel you must, but don't blindly run away from death in fear. Be like reality; at times apart, quiet, receptive. And at other times together, loud, creative. Greet life with an embrace and death with a smile, but never forget the world around you full of very real people and very real opportunities to help them and interact with them. If you are too apathetic, you might just miss it all.

Anyway, that is what I believe. Whether I believe in God is entirely up to your interpretation of what/who God is. Who knows? Maybe God is a real being that is sitting in a very real heaven. It would certainly explain the perfect imperfection of reality, to have had a guiding hand. Or maybe they exist, and reality is the hand that guided them? I can't say either way. I can only believe what I know, after all.
User avatar
Happiness
Tyro
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Ayame » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Without going to read all the pages, this is my standard answer...


Which god? What qualifies as a god?

(As to a general 'higher power', perhaps. I don't know if there is one. Until I see evidence of one, I don't believe in them.)
User avatar
Ayame
Academic
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 pm
Location: Among the trees

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 am

Ayame wrote:Without going to read all the pages, this is my standard answer...


Which god? What qualifies as a god?

(As to a general 'higher power', perhaps. I don't know if there is one. Until I see evidence of one, I don't believe in them.)


I mostly agree with your opinion.

I guess this thread concerns belief in supreme beings in general, and I can only offer you a loose definition of God.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
User avatar
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Aygor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:21 pm

@happiness
I liked your post very much.

The "base components" though, are not identical.
Not being identical they share different yet determinable interactions.
They do not act by an inherent will but solely by their nature.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
User avatar
Aygor
Langzhong
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Boydie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Billy Connolly pretty much sums it up for me in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZ2k8xlTtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZw4I5qSOkY

*Strong language and may offend.
User avatar
Boydie
Academic
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm
Location: In your closet.

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby chongjasmine » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:18 pm

I always believe in God, since I was a little child. He answered my prayers and that was why I believe in Him.
I became a christian at the age of 18. And since then, I believe in Jesus and had been following Him ever since.
Jesus had been good to me. I had seen His miracles happening in my life, time and again.
I hope that if you are confused whether you should believe in God or not, that you talk to Him. Talk to God. Tell Him you are confused and want Him to tell you if He exists or not. I am sure God will reveal Himself to you, if you make the effort to seek after Him.
chongjasmine
Tyro
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Aygor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:05 pm

chongjasmine wrote:Jesus had been good to me. I had seen His miracles happening in my life, time and again.

What would qualify a miracle in your opinion?
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
User avatar
Aygor
Langzhong
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved