Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
50%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 496

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:26 pm

I picked other, b/c i believe in more then one God....and im not Hindu...I just prefer to think that there is more then one God.

I mean, the likelyhood of one, is the same as if there were 100....To me at least
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Master Kongming » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:54 am

I do not believe in god. If there is one, he hasnt been very nice to me.
Master Kongming
Initiate

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:24 am

I believe in God and I believe we all have a purpose in life. I pray and it is comforting and does lead to help many times but is not the only way to live the faith

What does praying do anyways? All it does is make you feel better. Some people think "Oh yeah, I pray and you don't. I'm going to heaven, you're going to hell". I don't think he put us here just so we could pray to him..

for example...whoever think that just because they pray they are better than someone else or assured Heaven..well i think they are mistaken....there is lots of things to do to earn a place in heaven..praying being one of them..and I think that many different people can get into Heaven even if they were never taught to pray.

To the originator of this thread: Every life is precious and has a purpose...you'll find yours..if anything the main purpose..in my beliefs anyway is to love one another and to worship God. Don't let some people who haven't done their faith justice ruin everything for you.
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Rurouni Kenshin » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 pm

Let me extend on that a bit Cherry, if you don't mind. Praying, in my opinion, is a way to speak with God. People most likely think that if they stay in touch with God, or Jesus, they will go into heaven. This isn't exactly my theory in general, people don't need to pray to get into heaven. They just need to have faith.

I myself, as I've said, am Aethiest and I'm not afraid to admit it. I just have reasonable doubts. Like the fact that some supernatural being is controlling my destiny as we speak. I kind of makes me feel like a puppet knowing that. Thats why I try to think of myself, as in control of myself. Because we control our actions, we control our needs, wants, desires, everything. The 'Devil' doesn't lead us into temptation; we do.

Basically, when I think back to 0 year, and the birth of Christ, I see something that people strongly believe in. A man who believes that he can die upon a cross to save thousands of people has faith in one thing alone. At first, when I heard of this in church, I thought that Jesus was crazy, and the person that wrote the bible was crazy. They aren't crazy, persay, they just have faith in one thing as well. They have faith in one God, Ya-weh(I think thats his name).

I used to be Methodist before I started questioning the existance of God, wondering if my life depended upon whether I was naughty or nice. And I think to Santa Claus. Be naughty and you get coal, be good and you get presents. And then the be naughty and you go to hell, be good and you go to heaven. Its like the same thing over and over, Christmas is just a continuation of your life.

Thats enough of my constant rambling, thanks for hearing me out.
A beautiful face can win popularity, but a beautiful hand can win respect.

~Which one do you prefer?~

"I've killed a helluva lotta people to get to this one. And now, I'm gonna Kill Bill"
Rurouni Kenshin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby robbyjo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:08 pm

I believe in God. Although not all of my life has been very good, my faith is affirmed. (Yes, I'm a Christian, but not a mormon)
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liao Zhen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:22 am

I am an Aethiest. I do not agree with many things in terms of religion such as something is controlling me. If there was a God he would have control over me to some extent. Would he let me type this post? I doubt it, lol. Another reason for my lack of faith is that all of this comes from ancient people hundreds of years old telling us what to do in the form of the Bible. Nothing but a story book to me.
"War, it brings us closer, yet it drives us apart. War makes legends, destroys legends. War brings a veil of peace, and destroys peace. War ends corruption, war begins corruption." ~ Me
Liao Zhen
Assistant

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:06 am

Let me extend on that a bit Cherry, if you don't mind. Praying, in my opinion, is a way to speak with God. People most likely think that if they stay in touch with God, or Jesus, they will go into heaven. This isn't exactly my theory in general, people don't need to pray to get into heaven. They just need to have faith.

Actually your quite right :wink: prayer is speaking to God..my beliefs are that through prayer I do talk to God and can develop my relationship with him and ask for help when I need it or thank him for people and things. I'm sure some people feel that praying and going to church every week is enough..I don't believe this..there is so much one can and probably should do to lead a good and holy life...praying and church I believe are essential but it shouldn't stop there.

I myself, as I've said, am Aethiest and I'm not afraid to admit it. I just have reasonable doubts. Like the fact that some supernatural being is controlling my destiny as we speak. I kind of makes me feel like a puppet knowing that. Thats why I try to think of myself, as in control of myself. Because we control our actions, we control our needs, wants, desires, everything. The 'Devil' doesn't lead us into temptation; we do.

If I may add some thoughts here: First I want to clear up something..my religious background is Catholic..so that's where all my thoughts and teachings come from. I noticed some athiests say the same comment you have..that they don't like or believe they are being controlled by God..I just want to clarify our stance on this..we don't believe that either. We do make our own choices and decisons..God gave us free will so even though he knows what would be best for us we in the end need to make the choices to get there. He is willing to help and guide us but we ultimately make the final decision of doing right or wrong. So really you are in control of yourself..the thing we believe is God so loves us he lets us make our own choices..being a loving father and knowing all means he does try to help us and guide us in what is right and best for us..but again we decide. As for the devil..well temptation itself is not controlling you..dictionary defination in brief:-to try to persuade esp. to something immoral -to incline strongly So again it isn't being controlled by him (Thank God) but it is him trying to entice people to fall and sin and make mistakes..his goal is to ruin lives. Again though..you make the final decision which side you will listen too and what you will do with the after effects of such a decision. Thanks for hearing me out now :P I always wanted to clear up that misconception about our teachings.

I used to be Methodist before I started questioning the existance of God, wondering if my life depended upon whether I was naughty or nice. And I think to Santa Claus. Be naughty and you get coal, be good and you get presents. And then the be naughty and you go to hell, be good and you go to heaven. Its like the same thing over and over, Christmas is just a continuation of your life.

Another thing I'd like to clear up..it isn't your being naughty that get's you hell or being good that gets you Heaven..per say...yes both have profound influences on your life and afterlife...and do weigh in at the time fo death.but my understanding is also this: God is a God of love, goodness, and justice. If you do wrong you will make amends for it in the afterlife..but I believe God gives everyone a chance at the end to choose to join him...since God is love and all that is good that is why hell is so bad..because it is devoid of both..some people do choose to go there..they don't care or want to be with God..without God there is not love and good there isn't happiness and all is pain..going to Heaven is embracing good and love...we believe in a place called Purgatory..you go there to make amends for the wrongs you have done in life and you want to be pure when entering Heaven..so in a sense you are choosing this as well..you could say it's a matter of wanting to look good when you enter God's kingdom and his presence.
:)

Another reason for my lack of faith is that all of this comes from ancient people hundreds of years old telling us what to do in the form of the Bible. Nothing but a story book to me.

Just a quick comment here...almost all our knowledge and beliefs come from people thousands of years before us..they have helped to guide us in everything from how to set up our society, to how to live, to how to make war, and how to have peace. They may not always be right and some may not actually be guides as we have seen in figures like Hitler who abuse power and so on..but the point I am trying to make is just about everything we believe is influenced by somebody else or from ages past.
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Rurouni Kenshin » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:22 am

Not to be mean, but this debate could go on forever. There are many point of views of religion here, and there are many different religions to match it. If there were one religion that everyone could comprehend with then that would probably be great. There wouldn't be Jihads, or religious wars like in Jerusalem and the Crusades.

There probably wouldn't even be the modern day wars. This is what a fraction of all the violence is stemmed from. Different religious beliefs means that someone will obviously try to step in and say, "Hey I don't this such and such religion, because you killed such and such, Abraham did this, Moses didn't exist" Its all methodical. Some parts of the 0 year are described in many different ways to each religion.

Another thing I'd like to point out, is the fact that most people do good deeds to get into heaven. I really don't believe in the 'Deathbed Confessionals." Its hard to believe that you can be forgiven of all of your sins in an instant even after you've disgraced thousands of people, said Christ's name in vain, or done something to upset an important person. But hey, like Cherry said, its a matter of God loving us and such.

To keep my answer short and simple. I don't believe in God, but if he does exist, I respect him.
A beautiful face can win popularity, but a beautiful hand can win respect.

~Which one do you prefer?~

"I've killed a helluva lotta people to get to this one. And now, I'm gonna Kill Bill"
Rurouni Kenshin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:40 am

The Amazing Jake Jeckel wrote:Its hard to believe that you can be forgiven of all of your sins in an instant even after you've disgraced thousands of people, said Christ's name in vain, or done something to upset an important person.

But that's exactly why, in Christianity, God sent Jesus to die on the cross. So humans would be able to ask for forgiveness and have it. He wouldn't have taken such drastic action if He didn't want us to be able to be forgiven.

Anyway, it's not like God's generosity can be taken advantage of. He's God, after all, and dishonest intentions won't fool Him. It's faith, and the honesty of the confession that get you forgiven.

But you're right--this kind of discussion could go on forever, just because everyone is free to not believe in any given point.

[Edit: Lady Wu, it took you 33 minutes to post that?]
Last edited by Kong Wen on Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:13 am

The Amazing Jake Jeckel wrote:Another thing I'd like to point out, is the fact that most people do good deeds to get into heaven. I really don't believe in the 'Deathbed Confessionals." Its hard to believe that you can be forgiven of all of your sins in an instant even after you've disgraced thousands of people, said Christ's name in vain, or done something to upset an important person. But hey, like Cherry said, its a matter of God loving us and such.

You touched on one of the most incomprehensible characteristic of God in the Christian belief. God made people, tried to love them and teach them time and again the way to true happiness, but people kept turning away from him and do terrible things. Instead of nuking the world and starting from scratch, he just said, "oh, whatever", and wiped the slate clean by sending part of himself to experience the pains and suffering of humankind, and then dying the most gruesome death in order to make up for what humankind did. It's totally irrational and it used to bug me. I think that the only part of the Christian faith where you have no control over something is just that: God has this crazy irrational love for humankind, whether you like it or not. Santa Claus mentality doesn't come into play--you can't predict whether God likes you and will give you good stuff based on how many hours you pray. Otherwise, like Cherry_Blossom said, we are all free to do what we want, whether to love him or not.

Hmm... I guess that should be in the Religion thread... anyway, to answer the question, I do believe in God. It's not always easy, and every mature believer has gone through periods of doubts. If God can be completely made sense of by human reasoning, then he's not God, but a human creation. So yeah, I'd say keep asking questions, keep seeking for answers.

Edit: KZS can you please stop posting the same time I do?!? :lol:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy