Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
50%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 496

Unread postby Ma Liang » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:51 pm

Well, I believe there is a higher power or force that crated life and everything. I am soon to convert to Buddhism. That may be why. I don't think he's there for us at all. Ok, he may be your God, but I don't think he's here to help us. What does praying do anyways? All it does is make you feel better. Some people think "Oh yeah, I pray and you don't. I'm going to heaven, you're going to hell". I don't think he put us here just so we could pray to him.
"Just because Dong Zhuo is a fat slob in Dynasty Warriors, that dosen't mean you should insult him!"

- Me
Ma Liang
Assistant

Unread postby English_Druid » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:31 pm

Asellas wrote:Because that can be the only thing which keeps people going, help them believe... you can't just believe in something without a source like a religion, god, self-motivation etc etc...

There! self motivation. That is what I mean, why cant one live how one chooses to, create their own purpose/place in life? And if there is a god, do you think its fair to think that HE decides what people should do and how they live their lives? I dont.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Asellas » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:25 pm

Asellas wrote:Because that can be the only thing which keeps people going, help them believe... you can't just believe in something without a source like a religion, god, self-motivation etc etc...

English_Druid wrote:There! self motivation. That is what I mean, why cant one live how one chooses to, create their own purpose/place in life? And if there is a god, do you think its fair to think that HE decides what people should do and how they live their lives? I dont.

Self-Motivation doesn't come naturally, there is something or someone that always inspires you and that gives the ability to self-motivate so people wether they realise it or not, have and will always be inspired y anything a person feels strongly about.

I never used to believe in God, but when life has and is going hell for me I turn to him and my life gets better, sure I may have self-motivation but that came from somewhere, namely what God or the universal lifeforce showed me so therefore a purpose isn't a 100% of one's own creation or idea, it always comes from somewhere.

Of course, anyone can shape or extend their pupose but all I am saying their needs to be a base which has been set for you by another person... or thing.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby PangDeGuy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:25 pm

Yea, I believe in God. Though I am Chinese, I went to a Chinese church in Chinatown in Philadelphia. If any of you have ever heard of it, it's called Chinese Christian Church and Center.

http://www.cccnc.org

I think that's the link to their site. However, I'm not much of an active Christian. I don't read the bible everyday, nor do I pray everyday. But I do get pretty serious in church service, and sometimes when I remember I try to respect God.
"Scum of a matweaver!"-Yuan Shu
PangDeGuy
Assistant

Unread postby Rainiez » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:42 am

I do believe in God and I believe he will help me whenever I'm in trouble. He helped me once, something I won't forget...at math test (the test I always frustated about) He guide my friend to show me a paper from a lesson. The paper is filled with the almost the same questions as the one that my teacher gave me for the test.
我就像你,没有一秒曾後悔- 一眼萬年
Rainiez
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:06 am

English_Druid wrote:

There! self motivation. That is what I mean, why cant one live how one chooses to, create their own purpose/place in life? And if there is a god, do you think its fair to think that HE decides what people should do and how they live their lives? I dont.

"He" doesn't decide how you should live, its why we have something called free will. If we were truly built to do as God or any other higher power suggested, we wouldn't have the amazing power of free will. All the bad things that have happened; the individuals made those choices, using "God" as the justification is just a way to ignore their responsibilities to society.

The question this can lead to is, was this given by a greater power, or did we as a species gain it by pure evolutionary luck?
Last edited by Ranbir on Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:36 am

I believe theres a god out there somewhere, but i do not believe in any religion. Most religions out there are corrupt or have either completely lost the plot or have become a major political tool.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:41 pm

Six and Up wrote:
"He" doesn't decide how you should live, its why we have something called free will. If we were truly built to do as God or any other higher power suggested, we wouldn't have the amazing power of free will. All the bad things that have happened; the individuals made those choices, using "God" as the justification is just a way to ignore their responsibilities to society.

Unless God gave us a choice to do as He desires or not. Besides, if there is no God, then what decides our responsibilities in society? Society itself? or just our personal morality? If it is society, then what gives it authority? Without God (or some kind of belief) it has no justification to decide anything for us- such as our responsibilities. If it is personal morality, then we have no reason to accede to "society", in which case we are not ignoring our responsibilities, as they do not exist.

As for evolutionary luck, how was there anything in the first place if not for God? Again, what defines our responsibilities to society and it authority over us?

All I can think of now.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby xiaocaca » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:31 pm

i... do not believe in god. i do not practice any kind of religion. i do not believe there is a heaven or hell.
xiaocaca
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wizardman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:48 pm

Yes, I believe in God.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy