Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
50%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 496

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:39 pm

English_Druid wrote:Why cant you live your life how you want to, why do people constantly search for a purpose in life.. I just dont understand.

Because that can be the only thing which keeps people going, help them believe... you can't just believe in something without a source like a religion, god, self-motivation etc etc... it also can comfort anyone too, I follow some veiws which someone showed me and my life is getting better.

As for wether I believe in God, yep I do because a) I ring the bells for prayer b) I have prayed and he really has helped me c) it started to also help me make something or want to make something of myself.
So, I believe he exists just probably not in the usualy imagined form.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Ninjastarfish » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:51 am

I'm a deist. I don't believe in God in the classic sense. And I certainly do not believe in any God in the literal sense (ie: the anthropomorphic, white-beared God of Mormons and Catholics).

However, I do acknowledge a higher power which is ultimately responsible for existence. But that's pretty much all that I think this higher power is responsible for. I don't think God answers wishes, or holds court in an ivory-clouded never-never-land with frolicky puppies and ferrets.

I don't think God notices human beings as being any more or less important than any other tiny little aspect of creation.
Ninjastarfish
Student

Unread postby Wanghui » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:57 am

Even I'm not fanatic of religion of course I believe in God. For me,believing God is good to control your life, attitude like do a good thing not harm people and etc
Wanghui
Sage

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:18 am

After years and years of reflection, argument, and contemplation of all angles and possibilities, my belief in God is affirmed.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ellone » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:50 am

Such strange question.
For me, it has nothing to do with religions. If you believe in God, he will be there for you. If you don't, forget it just live your life with your own will, even if it is an evil will.
Ellone
Initiate

Unread postby Starscream » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:23 am

I do not believe in God or the existence of any supernatural beings defined by religions. However, I believe in two other things: 1) Mother Nature will eventually get sick of mankind, hence the world will be destroyed in the future. 2) Deeds and retribution. If you do good, goodness will come to you. If you treat others ill, you will have ill favour in return. :D
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby GuangRong » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:25 am

Nope..
and I dun buy the deeds and retribution theory either...

I belive the cause and effect theory, but not necessary that goodness always beget goodness etc. etc..

One part of the idea of retribution , to me is the "Ah Q" mentality of victims when they are powerless to seek redress themsevles....

pple always like to delude themselve that life is fair.., face it, it's not.
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:45 am

Moved to LAP, where all theological discussions belong.

And for the record, I believe that all believed in gods exist to some extent and power, but all partake in a... hmm, non-sentient globule we could call the universal 'god'? In other words, all the gods believed in are just part of the larger supernatural force that guides them... and which has no sentience, desire, or being in essence.

I think I just confused myself. . . don't take what I said too strongly until I figure it out myself. :lol:
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:56 am

As a christian I do believe in god though I admit that I ave not been to church for ages, I am still a firm believer in god and the christian faith and I will return sometime.
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby JCC » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:54 pm

I'm a Catholic, and have always believed in God. I think of Him as being more or less the way He is viewed by the Catholic religion, the main difference being that I see Him as being less harsh, and only considering sins those deeds that cause harm, while not worrying about those that seem arbitrary (eating meat on Fridays, etc.).
JCC
Mod! Law!

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy