Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
49%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 494

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Ayame » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 am

Any omnipotent deity that wants me to believe will know how to sufficiently convince me.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby chongjasmine » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Aygor wrote:
chongjasmine wrote:Jesus had been good to me. I had seen His miracles happening in my life, time and again.

What would qualify a miracle in your opinion?

Something unexpected that happens which is beyond coincident.
For instance, I have a toothache. I pray for healing, but it isn't healed.
So, I went to see a dentist. I was upset at having to go to the dentist.
I switched on my internet, and the first thing that come to my screen is a picture of Jesus guiding a dentist.
I believe that God is telling me that He heals me, but through a dentist.

Another instance. I was sitting in an examination and I couldn't answer the questions.
I panicked and wanted to leave the examination hall. But I felt Jesus telling me to try my best.
I answered the examination to the best of my abilities, with the presence of Jesus by my side.
I got distinction for the paper.

Yet another instance. I was at a birthday party.
And the birthday girl tells us to seek after God's presence.
I felt an urge to tell a girl I had never met before that God wanted her to be a social worker.
The urge is very strong. I went to the girl and asked her whether social work meant anything to her.
She broke down and cried. She had always wanted to be a social worker but felt that she was not qualified to do so.
God had used me to encourage that girl to be a social worker.

These three instances are what I mean by miracles.
chongjasmine
Tyro

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 pm

chongjasmine wrote:
Something unexpected that happens which is beyond coincident.
For instance, I have a toothache. I pray for healing, but it isn't healed.
So, I went to see a dentist. I was upset at having to go to the dentist.
I switched on my internet, and the first thing that come to my screen is a picture of Jesus guiding a dentist.
I believe that God is telling me that He heals me, but through a dentist.

Another instance. I was sitting in an examination and I couldn't answer the questions.
I panicked and wanted to leave the examination hall. But I felt Jesus telling me to try my best.
I answered the examination to the best of my abilities, with the presence of Jesus by my side.
I got distinction for the paper.

Yet another instance. I was at a birthday party.
And the birthday girl tells us to seek after God's presence.
I felt an urge to tell a girl I had never met before that God wanted her to be a social worker.
The urge is very strong. I went to the girl and asked her whether social work meant anything to her.
She broke down and cried. She had always wanted to be a social worker but felt that she was not qualified to do so.
God had used me to encourage that girl to be a social worker.

These three instances are what I mean by miracles.

I'm a theist myself nowadays, but your examples of 'miracles' are fairly poor even by your own definition of a 'miracle'. None of your examples display unexpected outcomes or ones any near 'beyond' coincidence. You're free to believe as you wish, and I encourage you to do so, but if you set such a low threshold that everyday occurrences caused by human power then almost anything may qualify as a 'miracle' and the word loses significance. Also, good fortune becomes fodder for self-fulfilling prophecies.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 am

I agree with both of the above to a certain extent. As I believe in an all powerful God and I don't believe in coincidence when things like what chongjasmine describe come up I certainly believe that they are from God. However I wouldn't describe them as miracles in the way Suke was implying, those things are more like the miraculous signs that Jesus performs and we see throughout Acts. I've certainly been told by many people I trust about miracles they've seen performed but sadly I'm yet to be present.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I agree with both of the above to a certain extent. As I believe in an all powerful God and I don't believe in coincidence when things like what chongjasmine describe come up I certainly believe that they are from God. However I wouldn't describe them as miracles in the way Suke was implying, those things are more like the miraculous signs that Jesus performs and we see throughout Acts. I've certainly been told by many people I trust about miracles they've seen performed but sadly I'm yet to be present.

As much as it pains me to hear coincidence described as divine communication with mortals, I'd much rather that then the description of all coincidences as miracles. At least leave the word some meaning.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Interesting, why do you think coincidence gives the world meaning?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Interesting, why do you think coincidence gives the world meaning?

I don't think it provides it meaning, I think it merely is reality. I understand it's simply a matter we'll likely have to choose to disagree but I don't believe in divine communication or intervention, though I'm sure my faith would disagree. It's something I've never been able to accept, and I think to deny coincidence and replace it with a divine message would be to deny what happens. Plus with the amount of coincidences that happen on a daily basis, God would have to be a chatty entity delivering some random and irrelevant messages (unless people arbitrarily choose to assign 'communications' only to those coincidences which they like and not all of them).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aygor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:At least leave the word some meaning.

Sun Fin wrote:Interesting, why do you think coincidence gives the world meaning?

I agree with Shika, strongly.
I would say that claiming that the little meaningful coincidencies which influence us come directly from God would imply that he also is directly responsible for sufference.

Sun Fin wrote:[...]miraculous signs that Jesus performs and we see throughout Acts.

Honest curiosity here, why is it Jesus rather than God?
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Aygor wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:At least leave the word some meaning.

I agree with Shika, strongly.
I would say that claiming that the little meaningful coincidencies which influence us come directly from God would imply that he also is directly responsible for sufference.

Well I disagree with you both :P

Aygor wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:[...]miraculous signs that Jesus performs and we see throughout Acts.

Careless phrasing? In the gospel's Jesus is the one who performs the miracles but always in the name of his father.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 am

Aygor wrote:I agree with Shika, strongly.

Not even broaching my deist viewpoint, I agree as well. Not something I wish to condone. The whole system seems only to serve self interests. As if the good coincidences are god's will, but the meaningless or bad are just coincidences or ignored.

I trust Sun Fin here per the gospel's reason (him and WWD have that on lock), but the godhead deal has perplexed me to the point where I just accept it (like many other things) as mere tradition and accepted vocabulary.

Sun Fin wrote:Well I disagree with you both :P

All good! I figured we would, and lord knows I'm a terrible theist/catholic.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy