Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
49%
No
35%
Other
16%

Total votes : 495

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Korin wrote:Still--to join up just to say that? That's just sad. Sounds like a troll post... LMFAO - waiting for a reply from that user.*

I also don't see that as insulting, wow. I was just saying cause that person JOINED literally to say that, extremely weird.*

None of which is really relevant to his point. I don't care why he joined up, a member's argument (or lack there of depending on the case) should be dealt with on its merits not upon his reason for joining the forum.

edit to add something: Reason why I called the user "Ignorant" was because they didn't have any backed up sources, they just randomly said that--if they had reasons why they said that than different story, you obviously don't know understand what Ignorant means, it means lack of knowledge of a subject, not stupid. So therefore, not a insult.

What sources do you expect from someone expressing a religious opinion? The majority of this thread is entirely unsourced opinions from members. The lack of sources makes his opinion no more 'ignorant' that the rest. I notice your replies had no supporting sources either. Also, you completely misapply the word ignorant to meet your own ends in this conversation. Someone stating an opinion, even without sources, does not therefore make a statement ignorant. The content of the message would have to be judged on its merit.

For someone repeatedly making comments about folks being 'ignorant' or threads speaking of an 'ignorant' world, I would advise checking your own statements before judging others.

Get over that, I'm apologized, so please drop it. Also stop using "!!" all the time, you're shouting. :rangry: please and thank you, also I just wanna know why you use !! in every post you make. :huohu:

Tisk Tisk. Don't mess with the warrior princess's exclamation points.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lesterowen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 am

i believe in God. it happens that you may doubt ay times, but let me give you an advice, God reaches out his hand in suffering and it depends on you if you are willing yo take his hand. it's putting your faith in him no matter what. you'll see. :-)
lesterowen
Tyro

Unread postby Korin » Thu May 02, 2013 11:40 pm

I mean back in very ancient history, everybody referred to the God as the 'The Gods' - when did this change? I mean people nowadays still refer them as the Gods, like I do. They are the gods of the universe, and they have a place like Mount Olympus above the universe.

But personally, humans don't have any knowledge of this religion stuff so they can't judge or accept it. But people can believe what they believe, but they can't say this God exists or not. Humans don't have that general knowledge, but I still believe something is out there as I stated above that it's not just a 'God' - it's also the 'The Gods' FYI.

This is what I BELIEVE, but I don't judge God related stuff and I don't accept it, but personally I am not a christian or muslim or jew, I am something I have yet to discover. Something that believes in something that is very hard to understand. For now, i just label myself 'agnostic' until I discover more stuff related to this subject I am talking about.

P.S. I would laugh my ass off if the Pope was a prophet to the Gods I am referring to, but that is unlikely.

Why was my post deleted?
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 03, 2013 12:08 am

Korin stop posting multiples of the same post, you only need to post it once in one thread, if people read it and choose not to respond you do not need to spam by posting more of the same post elsewhere.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri May 03, 2013 1:32 am

Korin wrote:I mean back in very ancient history, everybody referred to the God as the 'The Gods' - when did this change?

When the majority of the major religions moved from polytheism to monotheism. See: Christianity, Islam, etc.

I mean people nowadays still refer them as the Gods, like I do.

By and large they do not. Of the major religions on Hinduism retains polytheism. Nowadays if you hear people refer to the 'gods' they're most merely referencing old religions like the Greeks/Romans/Egyptians had.

They are the gods of the universe, and they have a place like Mount Olympus above the universe.

That is an opinion that was once held by groups of people. It is no longer held by any large consensus.

But personally, humans don't have any knowledge of this religion stuff so they can't judge or accept it.

They can formulate a belief system as they wish.

but they can't say this God exists or not. Humans don't have that general knowledge, but I still believe something is out there as I stated above that it's not just a 'God' - it's also the 'The Gods' FYI.

Well people are free to believe a certain God does or not exist. They merely can't prove it.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 03, 2013 8:12 am

Korin wrote:
But personally, humans don't have any knowledge of this religion stuff so they can't judge or accept it.

You'll be surprised to hear that that is similar to what some Christians, me included, believe. Again my favourite theologian Barth was a huge advocate of the theology of revelation. His premise was that humankind can know nothing of God because he is so far removed from us; however God choose to reveal himself to humankind, first in the Old Testament and then later through Jesus and the Holy Spirit. So we can only know of his existence because he has told us something about himself, I believe this can be found in the bible, but obviously we can't truly understand what he is or how incredible he is.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri May 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Would you go as far as to say, God could essentially be a paranormal entity/force? Of course, I'm not talking aliens in a physical sense here, but rather an unfathomable force or metaphysical entity that could indeed be 'other-worldly'?

And no, Tom Cruise hasn't been doctoring my morning tea, not for a while anyway.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Mitsunari wrote:Would you go as far as to say, God could essentially be a paranormal entity/force? Of course, I'm not talking aliens in a physical sense here, but rather an unfathomable force or metaphysical entity that could indeed be 'other-worldly'?

Hasn't that been the concept of divinity from inception? The idea that god is an extrarational force which does not exist in our rationality or adhere to normal laws of physics and the like?
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri May 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:Would you go as far as to say, God could essentially be a paranormal entity/force? Of course, I'm not talking aliens in a physical sense here, but rather an unfathomable force or metaphysical entity that could indeed be 'other-worldly'?

Hasn't that been the concept of divinity from inception? The idea that god is an extrarational force which does not exist in our rationality or adhere to normal laws of physics and the like?

I thought it was more in the context of 'supernatural' in a 'this-wordly' sense? Maybe I'm splitting hairs, plus I'm certainly no expert on the subject.

Whether anyone has touched on this prior to now I don't know, but is it conceivable that this Divine force has a consciousness?
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Mitsunari wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:

I thought it was more in the context of 'supernatural' in a 'this-wordly' sense? Maybe I'm splitting hairs, plus I'm certainly no expert on the subject.

Whether anyone has touched on this prior to now I don't know, but is it conceivable that this Divine force has a consciousness?

I'm far from any kind of deep theological thinker myself, but I think most of what we're talking all ends up being the extrarational and above the laws of nature. As for your later I think we've always assumed divine forces have a consciousness and do things intentionally. This helps create narratives.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy