Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
50%
No
35%
Other
15%

Total votes : 498

Re: Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 pm

XuanPin wrote:The question "Do you believe in God" presupposes that intellectual assent is an important existential act.

This is a legitimate point of view, but not the only legitimate one. People in archaic societies, like the Greeks in Homer's time, didn't "believe" in the gods. The gods were simply one of the conditions of existence. The early Greeks neither believed or disbelieved in them any more than you believe of disbelieve in the weather.

Of course you believe that the weather is real, but you don't think your acceptance of the weather's reality is an existentially significant act. You don't "believe in" the weather as you would believe in God. Well, the archaic Greeks didn't believe in the gods the way you believe in God (if you do.) And that says something interesting about what belief is.

Good for them? We can agree that had a much more limited understanding of existence than we do now.

The question "Do you believe in God" presupposes a scientific attitude to reality (that it can be tested) which limits from the outset the kinds of reality we are able to consider.

It does. But that limit isn't a negative thing, it is a positive.

I assure you, Zhuge Liang would have been baffled by the question whether he "believed in" the Tao. And when you explained what you meant, he would have laughed and laughed.

Good for him. He likely would have been baffled by many concepts after his era.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
XuanPin wrote:
I assure you, Zhuge Liang would have been baffled by the question whether he "believed in" the Tao. And when you explained what you meant, he would have laughed and laughed.

Concepts? More like every day things. Imagine his reaction to a toaster. That would blow his mind!
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:28 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:
XuanPin wrote:

Concepts? More like every day things. Imagine his reaction to a toaster. That would blow his mind!

:lol: Fair enough!
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:51 pm

XuanPin wrote:People in archaic societies, like the Greeks in Homer's time, didn't "believe" in the gods. The gods were simply one of the conditions of existence. The early Greeks neither believed or disbelieved in them any more than you believe of disbelieve in the weather.

Much like any group of people who do not understand the world around them, they misuse the word believe then. Their supposed knowledge of their "truth", without proof, is still a belief.

Also, they were taught these beliefs. They did not spring from the womb worshipping the Olympians or whoever. They were taught. They did not "know" they were taught. They did not prove anything existed through scientific analysis or experimentation.

It was more a case of "We don't understand what causes storms so lets create a God of the Sea, call him Poseidon and tell people that when storms at sea happen the God is angry."

The Greek myths and such didn't just appear out of thin air, they were created over generations. Those people that started writing those myths did not "know" they were real.

Just because the Greeks could say and assert "its knowledge not belief because its important to my everyday life" doesn't mean that it automatically is knowledge, they may not have used the word belief but it was still belief and faith NOT knowledge.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy