Do you believe in God?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
49%
No
34%
Other
16%

Total votes : 484

Do you believe in God?

Unread postby Justin » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:13 pm

This is a bit of a more serious poll my fellow soszers. As many of you know I live in Utah. I was born here and while not living my whole life on Utah soil the culture of this state has been instilled in me since birth. Because of this I was born into a Mormon family and was raised in the Mormon faith. I lived my whole life for the most part believing in what they taught. However for the past several years I have not been a practicing mormon. Meaning I don't goto church on a regular basis and do all the church activities and such but I still felt that their was some kind of heaven and god. However I found some interesting reading material on the web and in print that showed me some very interesting facts about the history of the LDS church that made me re-think my beliefs in this religion. In fact I dare say I call BS on the whole thing. I don't think the mormon church is a true church anymore and I almost feel sorry for the people who live it. But that is getting besides the point. Now I find myself wondering if what I believed growing up isn't true then what is? After some research I don't believe any religion really has the answers. I find myself wondering if there is a god and what does he want me to do in regards to living my life? Is there a heaven or a hell? I still think there must be a greater purpose to our lives. I think I still believe in God but at this point I'm a little shaky. I want to do some research into the eastern religions but haven't had the time yet.
Last edited by Justin on Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:34 pm

I'm agnostic. In other words, I don't deny the existence of God, but I also can't be sure that such a higher being truly exists. Therefore, I chose the "Other" option.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:45 pm

nondenominational Christian- yes
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby Elven Fury » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:09 pm

I believe that God exists go to church with my grandpa as often as i can so yes i do believe that God exists, i have amny friends that do not believe in god and i do not know how they cannot...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Goth Girl » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:43 pm

No there is no god :o To much pain and destruction in the world. We are surposed to be his "Children" Not a very good....Parent iz he? *Gets struck by lightning*
Goth Girl
Changshi

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:59 pm

I don't believe in a God per se...as in a giant man looking over us. But I do believe in some higher power. I've only started to study philosophy, religious studies and physics, but I've found some interesting things.

I'll mention one here. I'm really sorry if the explanation is a bit weird, but I'm trying to get my head around it at the moment.

The whole workings of the universe, from theories on stars and other space anomalies, they can all be defined mathematically. This maths is very simple and concise. The question I put forward is, how can something so vast, and complicated, be defined in such simple ways?

It was either a random thing, which will then lead that Earth developing the way it has, and the evolution of the human race...was just a freak accident by chance.
Or, there has to have been some influence to do it. It's something I'd really like to discuss. If there is already a thread for it, I'll move all this there. If there isn't, I could start one.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby English_Druid » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:02 pm

Im an aethiest, Im as religious as a pork pie. I dont feel the need to hold religious beliefs inorder to fit in, and I find it hard to believe alot of the things most religions say. Im a very liberal person, I wouldnt want a religion which had a whole bunch of rules on do's and dont's on how to live my life. Ill do what I want and live how I please thank you.... So to answer the question, no I dont currently believe there is a god.

Justin wrote:I find myself wondering if there is a god and what does he want me to do in regards to living my life?

Why cant you live your life how you want to, why do people constantly search for a purpose in life.. I just dont understand.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:12 pm

English_Druid wrote:Im an aethiest, Im as religious as a pork pie. I dont feel the need to hold religious beliefs inorder to fit in, and I find it hard to believe alot of the things most religions say. Im a very liberal person, I wouldnt want a religion which had a whole bunch of rules on do's and dont's on how to live my life. Ill do what I want and live how I please thank you.... So to answer the question, no I dont currently believe there is a god.

Justin wrote:I find myself wondering if there is a god and what does he want me to do in regards to living my life?

Why cant you live your life how you want to, why do people constantly search for a purpose in life.. I just dont understand.

God or no God, you were given the power of free will. I understand what the Druid is saying.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Rurouni Kenshin » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:13 pm

I prefer not to believe in God. I'm sure there is something controlling our lives. Just not a tangible source. We can't see what controls us, so its sort of like time and air.

Anyways, I prefer to think that I have a choice on how to live, I can 'sin' I can do all that good stuff. I can curse and whatnot. But it doesn't mean I'm going to hell. A god so merciful, and one that lets all the world problems happen probably doesn't exist.

I never really understood Deathbed Repentence either.
A beautiful face can win popularity, but a beautiful hand can win respect.

~Which one do you prefer?~

"I've killed a helluva lotta people to get to this one. And now, I'm gonna Kill Bill"
Rurouni Kenshin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Man Chong » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:19 pm

Although I'm not in any organized religioin, I do believe that God exist somewhere out there.

I also think that since "God created man in his own image," God is as lazy as us humans are :lol:

So I think God as this all-knowing/all-powerful guy, but too lazy to fix the problems that plague this world...
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy