How lonely are you?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

How lonely are you?

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:19 pm

In a cold world such as this, feeling lonely is more common place than ever before.
A lot of kids are feeling lonely in their homes because they feel too far away from their parents. A lot of reasons and circumstances can make a person feel like he's all alone.
Right now in my life there are two people I love dearly, but they can't be near me because of circumstances. In my family, I feel secluded because of bad experiences with them. In my congregation, I feel like a reject, because I have my own view of things, and I know people look down on me. On the forum, I feel alone because I really try to be myself, but I can't, no matter how I try to express it.
Loneliness is one of the things that makes me very weak and scared.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Jonathan » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:44 pm

Being lonely is a human trait Jon; it’s a part of emotions. No goes through life without being lonely at some point, I am lonely right now because most of my friends are either growing up beyond how much I ever want to, or some others are not growing up at all. There are people you love? Then try your best to keep your relationship with them, circumstances don’t allow you too see each other. So try an alternative until perhaps things change, call them, email them, or chat with them in a chat room (one of the better uses of the internet).

I will continue to see my friends once in a while; I spend at least one of my days a week with them. Keeping strong about it is the best way to deal with it, life is hard, unfair, and cruel sometimes.
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Wen Choung » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:31 pm

Yes. That is true. And sometimes, because of circumstances, u can't help but feel lonely. But that doesn't mean that the ppl already kno should be the only ppl. It never hurts to go out and make new friends. Heck, send them a letter or make a few visits to start a new bond!

One of the best ways to stay in touch with ur friends that I've discovered...play online games! Of course there r many different methods too.

At my school, I don't always fit in because I can't relate to many of my classmates. I go to a college prep school and one of the things I always told myself is that I can't fully fit in because 1)I'm not white 2)I'm not rich and 3)I'm not snobby. But then, I learned that even though most of them r white and rich, they rn't that snobby... :D. But still, sometimes I just don't fit in...but one important thing I learned is in the Jimmy Eat World song "The Middle." It's in ur head that ur different or excluded.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:06 am

Not only is being lonely a human trait nearly everyone must accept at some time, even the people that constantly surround themselves with "friends", this is also nothing new. I doubt there was ever a time in human history when the average person didn't feel alone when they felt there was no one to turn too in the real world...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby animetayl » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:31 am

I don't believe you can rely on people. Eventually they'll all let you down. I guess I'm not really one to sympathize, because it's the opposite for me. I'm always alone, but I'm never lonely. It's when I'm with people that I start to feel bad. Do you think that's a different type of loneliness? Like I'm lonely for myself and for the silence that I constantly try to surround myself in?
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby Maria » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:49 am

Loneliness is a stage that has to be walked by every living things (even animals). Don't feel sad about being lonely. Make the best out of it. I'm alone most of the time, secluded in this 3mx3m computer room. No one talks to me for hours, no friends call me up, none. But I could do whatever I want at that time.

Jon, remember, loneliness is not the biggest downfall of your life. But if you succumb to it and feel a lot of depression coming out, then yes, you'd go bye bye. Mind you, I have met a lot of people who got lonely and then gone mental depression and all.

Being lonely teach you that the company of other is important, and you'd have time to review your life as it is. If you feel scared by these lessons, then you can not become strong. Everyone who has been to this stage will know.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:10 am

Why is it hard to be yourself on here? :(
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Maria » Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:24 am

Vegetabcool wrote:Why is it hard to be yourself on here? :(

Probably people's expectation. Sometimes (especially if you are admin), you cannot express yourself they way you usually do in real life. It's hard.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:30 am

Dragon_Girl wrote:

Probably people's expectation. Sometimes (especially if you are admin), you cannot express yourself they way you usually do in real life. It's hard.

Ah....I know how that feels! :twisted:
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:37 am

Everytime I show my emotions on forums, a lot of people tend to look at me in a judging way. My friend CK said that because of this, a lot of people misunderstand me, and he's right. I try to be open, but I also fear it at the same time. I also have my responsibility as admin, I need to carry the weight of the forum's well being along with James, which adds extra pressure.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy