What courses are you taking?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: What courses are you taking?

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 am

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Are you a Bay Area resident TMBJ :) ?

No, I'm from Seattle. The Holy Grail here is the University of Washington, which is fine, but I believe Berkeley's the best Liberal Arts school in the country, and it's absolutely impossible for out-of staters to get in if they're not geniuses. Besides, even if I could get in, I couldn't afford to stay in. Hence, "I'd kill to go there if I could."

we actually have an interesting way to get to that exspensive ass college here, go thru SF city College, and after two years transfer to Cal Berkeley, City College here as an excellent program for that, my next door neighbors came out of Cal with bussiness degrees, but are stuck paying off a huge amount of cash for just a 4 year degree, the tutition also is about to go thru the roof at Cal, so limiting costs to go there would be best.

We have a similar program in Washington. You get your Associate's at a community college and (supposedly) you're guaranteed admission to any four-year in the state. In fact, that's what I did. A few years later than I should've, but that's why you don't want to take a year off after high school. You get a job, get things going, waste time partying like Keith Moon on PCP and suddenly you're twenty-one and wondering "Oh My God what happened to my pants? I mean, life?!" I hear they call it a quarter-life crisis.

Anyway, I'd advise you to try to integrate your Chinese language skills into history, or political science, or whatever you choose to do. But remember, you probably shouldn't be flying off in every direction. I mean, in my state we have an 210-credit cap for undergrads-that's only 42 classes. It takes about 140 credits to land a Chinese and History double major degree at UW (maybe more if you need to take prerequisite courses to even qualify for the major), which only leaves 70 or fewer credits for the general requirement courses. I don't know if they're uptight like that in CA, but don't screw around. I have 95 credits myself, and I'm only 15 credits into a 130 credit double major.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 am

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:two, ive been thinking of going to hong kong to teach english, experience the culture and work on my Chinese

Just an aside from a Hong Konger---You'll need perfect spelling, grammar, and writing as well as degrees in teaching English in order to teach English in Hong Kong. Most people there do speak some English already (heck, it's the language for communication in the government and in businesses still) and the education standards are really high. You're better off aiming for somewhere in the Mainland and then going to HK for a vacation or something. If you get a posting somewhere in Guangdong or Guangxi province you'd still get a chance to practise your Cantonese.

Also, allow me to emphasize: There are VERY FEW jobs that are directly linked to a humanities/social science undergraduate degree (or even science degrees, for that matter), so you MUST be prepared to be a bit flexible regarding your first job after graduation. Make sure you build lots of connections and network like hell when you're in college, and keep an open mind for job opportunities. Brush up your general skills such as writing, foreign languages, technology-assisted research, IT stuff, and leadership skills.

Also, allow me to laugh at "I'd get a PH.D instead and worry about teaching at a university. If you can get your foot in the door there, starving'll be the least of your worries."

THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR PHDs. UNIVERSITIES ARE NOT HIRING TENURE-TRACK PROFESSORS BUT ARE CHURNING OUT FAR MORE PHDs THAN THE JOB MARKET CAN HANDLE. GRAD SCHOOL IS A BUBBLE THAT WILL BURST SOONER OR LATER.

People have been talking about the boomers retiring and jobs opening up etc. FIFTEEN YEARS AGO when I was in college. Do not buy into that lie. Seriously. I've been in that system and know what it's like. Most people in academia still have their heads in the sand and deny that there's a huge problem out there. An M.Ed. opens way more doors than a PhD would.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks Lady Wu thats Great advice actually :D .

Well just being a teacher somewhere in english and history would be good enough for me, my writing is actually pretty decent, it can get better but it does impress a majority of english teachers at my school, currently i off to learn dance(swing, salsa, waltz) is a great art to learn and ill be happy to do it, wish me luck people.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Also, allow me to laugh at "I'd get a PH.D instead and worry about teaching at a university. If you can get your foot in the door there, starving'll be the least of your worries."

Well, being that I'm the one who said that...ouch. Don't I feel stupid! Well, that's why I usually put disclaimers next to most of my posts when I throw ideas out there.

Either way, I guess shooting for that M.Ed should be something for myself to consider...after all, I have similar ambitions. Good thing I have this summer to get better educated on the subject.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 pm

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:Well, being that I'm the one who said that...ouch. Don't I feel stupid! Well, that's why I usually put disclaimers next to most of my posts when I throw ideas out there.

Either way, I guess shooting for that M.Ed should be something for myself to consider...after all, I have similar ambitions. Good thing I have this summer to get better educated on the subject.

I apologize for being a bit harsh there. I do feel strongly about the issue, though, because of the amount of lies and deceit and denial in the system.

If you want to shoot for a PhD, do it because you are head-over-heels in love with the subject, because you are ambitious and know you can contribute to the field in ways others can't, because you find a professor or an institute who are 100% supportive of your goals and who will help you navigate the politics of Academia ("school" is very different in a PhD program than in an undergrad or even Masters program). Because you don't mind spending five or more years after graduation doing adjunct teaching, postdocs, or moving from one end of the country to the other every year for 1-year positions. Yes, you may occasionally hear success stories of people landing tenure-track jobs straight out of a doctorate program, but that's the exception, not the norm. And, with very few exceptions, companies are reluctant to hire people with PhDs (unless it's very specific in research, such as R&D for businesses) in because they still think PhDs are overqualified and will require higher pay. So you can get a bit stuck if you're not careful.

I'm not saying don't do an advanced degree. I'm saying, research the job market really well, and pick up employable skills along the way, and probably a practical diploma or two. If you're serious about an academic career, research what the trends are in the field. Let's say you're in history. What do people talk about these days in history? What are the main research areas? Where are all the job hires? Let's say right now the hot thing is Latin American history, but you're more into early Soviet stuff. Well good for you but don't expect a job fresh out of school.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Yes, you may occasionally hear success stories of people landing tenure-track jobs straight out of a doctorate program, but that's the exception, not the norm. And, with very few exceptions, companies are reluctant to hire people with PhDs (unless it's very specific in research, such as R&D for businesses) in because they still think PhDs are overqualified and will require higher pay. So you can get a bit stuck if you're not careful.

I concur.

At my last position, I met an English Ph.d holding janitor. Personally, I'd be happy with a Bachelor's and some certifications in the field of preference. Sometimes those hold more weight than having a Master's. Example, employers here in TN tend to dote over those who hold a PHR and or SPHR compared to the general Master's in Business/HR folk with neither.

I also concur with the theory of being overqualified and requiring higher pay.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:35 am

Wait, M. Ed stands for master's and M.D stands for medical right?
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:13 am

M.Ed. = Masters in Education

M.D. = Medical Doctor.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Human5 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:53 pm

In 10th grade, I will be taking:

French 2
Algebra 2
Chemistry
Orchestra
World History AP

and other electives.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 pm

What I am taking?
Algebra II (just finishing it up)
Geometry
Physics
American History
American Literature
Biology
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy