What courses are you taking?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: What courses are you taking?

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon May 02, 2011 7:13 am

I know this may not belong, and im not in college yet.......but......
When i do get there in about a year, i want to go for a Masters in World History, Chinese History and get my teaching credentials, i hate hearing discouragements, but... "you ll starve if you get a history degree or become a teacher" i hear something like this kinda often. So to everyone who is going for History degrees or is taking related courses, is it rewarding? and can you see i nice future after college with your degree???
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoBia » Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Gee, sorry I'm not much help with that. : ( I really don't know. My fav professor did mention that she was sad that not a lot of bright students were going into history because it wasn't lucrative enough.

As for TAs in the department, I guess I'm kinda the outsider lol- undergraduate and science major. I don't ask them and they never shared with me, but here's some things.. One's going to work in China where being a native English speaker's desirable, one's just trying to build up his resume for fellowship or something I dunno, but I don't know really.
-------------------
Feel like posting up my next schoolyear's schedule. XD

Cell Biology
Molecular Biology
Medical Microbiography
Classical Chinese Fiction

Whee for hanging with da seniors! This year I was the only sophomore amongst upperclassmen in some of my classes. XD
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Getting to do a module on Chinese Culture and Religion next year which I'm excited about!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Tue May 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:i want to go for a Masters in World History, Chinese History and get my teaching credentials, i hate hearing discouragements, but... "you ll starve if you get a history degree or become a teacher" i hear something like this kinda often. So to everyone who is going for History degrees or is taking related courses, is it rewarding? and can you see i nice future after college with your degree???

Well, shoot man, I hope they're wrong, I'm going to be gunning for a history degree myself.

Anyway, from what I gather (and I get all kinds of conflicting advice every day), teaching's the #1 opportunity for history majors, but a lot of folks also use it to propel themselves into Law and Business, and even Politics (don't ask me how). Of course, there's also jobs in research and archiving, and, surprise surprise, working as a historian.

I'd advise you to double major with something you can integrate into the history degree. Political Science or International Relations, for example, or Sociology or Anthropology. But if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely study the language of whatever culture you're going to focus in. If you want to get into Chinese history, take a Chinese language major. That'll be damn useful even without the History major. (You may have noticed that many of the biggest contributors to this forum can read Chinese.) Myself, I'm considering doing Near East studies and learning Arabic.

Also, unless your heart's set on teaching high school or whatever, I wouldn't worry about an Education degree. I'd get a PH.D instead and worry about teaching at a university. If you can get your foot in the door there, starving'll be the least of your worries.

Also, being a Bay Area resident, if you can get into Berkeley, shit man, go for it. I'd kill to go there myself.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liufeng » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh my god, since I started doing philosophy, I now can't help to search for eventual logic errors in other people texts...

p = I'm mad
q = I see logics in every texts

[(q=>p)^(q)]=>p
dw8 Wish
Cheng Pu/Xu Sheng/Zhuge Ke/Lu Kang
Liao Hua/Fa Zheng/Zhang Yi/Wang Ping
Cao Hong/Bian Shi/Man Chong/Cao Rui
Zhang Chunhua/Chen Tai/Wen Yang/Jia Chong/Sima Yan/Yang Hu/Du Yu
Gongsun Zan/Yuan Shu/Cai Shi/Gongsun Yuan
Liufeng
Student

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Neat response Thanks TMBJ, hmm, i did have one thought, become standing Historian for the United states government, now thats a great place to get to with a History Degree and Interenational studies, plus maybe some political science, teaching is really where i want to be, and I already read write and speak Cantonese and Mandarin so i will defienetly get a Chinese Language Major, alot of projects are about to be set in motion for me this year, as i will be Senior in High School.
TooMuchBaijiu wrote:Also, being a Bay Area resident, if you can get into Berkeley, shit man, go for it. I'd kill to go there myself.
Are you a Bay Area resident TMBJ :) ?
we actually have an interesting way to get to that exspensive ass college here, go thru SF city College, and after two years transfer to Cal Berkeley, City College here as an excellent program for that, my next door neighbors came out of Cal with bussiness degrees, but are stuck paying off a huge amount of cash for just a 4 year degree, the tutition also is about to go thru the roof at Cal, so limiting costs to go there would be best.
GuoBia wrote:Gee, sorry I'm not much help with that. : ( I really don't know. My fav professor did mention that she was sad that not a lot of bright students were going into history because it wasn't lucrative enough.
Its ok Guo Bia, our resident Women Historian know so much, way more than i do, as do mostly everyone here(am i modest or telling the truth? heh?) so its alright Guo, and i have to say, your signature is always hilarious to read! :D
well i guess its because most young people are bored with history(bad) i had some hella smart kids in my History class this year, three 5.0 types, about 7-9 AP course students, half of them were always asleep in class, or weren't really paying much attention to the lectures, so i guess the new Generation is just bored with history.
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

If you want to do Chinese History you could always apply to SOAS. Its in the UK so not ideal for an American but I think its actually cheaper in terms of tuition fee's (for non-UK residents, for us its about $15,000 a year) and for Asian History its considered the best in Europe!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Personally now, i just want to go into the military and use the GI bill to college, my Dad is so damn uptight about how much he has to pay, which isn't much, but were not going to recieve much from financial aid.

Screw America, and the people i have known i my community, i want to live somewhere deep in Eastern Europe away from everyone i have ever known, basically to start over again by myself, call it running away or whatever you will, but i can't see a nice future for me in the U.S, maybe China, that might be nice place to restart in.
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm

You say that now... I'm sure some people here can remember me hating living at home a year or so ago. You can probably find some posts in the 'Hows Your Day Been' thread about it. I was falling out with my Dad a lot, didn't enjoy school etc but after spending 30 odd weeks a year at university coming home is amazing. Yes I'm not independant, yes I have to step carefully around my dad and yes I miss my university friends. BUT its free food (and cooked by someone else!), its having a bath, its seeing people I've known my whole life who know me better than those I've known for a year, its a church I love etc...

Basically lots of things you take for granted living at home all the time you suddenly realise how great they are when you move away. An army career is great for some people but don't make that decision too hastily...

I had a family friend who hated home life (his father got re-married very quickly after his wifes death and he didnt get on with his step mum) and went in to the navy at 16. He came out as soon as he could and has spent the last 10 years sorting his life out. He's now well on the way but I'm sure he regrets those wasted years. I just encourage you to think about it more mate :).
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:29 pm

I see your point Sun Fin, don't take the things you have for granted.
Oddly enough my Dad is pretty open to me leaving, one he does want a nice girlfriend and a new car so leaving him alone to accomplish those goals would be nice, two, ive been thinking of going to hong kong to teach english, experience the culture and work on my Chinese, that or the military, simply because its something new and a new experience for me, like i intend to start taking some ballroom dance lessons begginining tommorow, and of course once again dad is gripeing about the money involved despite it actually being cheap(14 dollars per class you attend), and i only intend to take maybe two classes a week, well thoughts?, i mean i think its great to be 17 and have the opprotunity to learn how to dance.Now if i can only call them up and get some info on the rules and payment for those classes.(man it would suck if they don't allow 17 yearolds.)
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy