What courses are you taking?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: What courses are you taking?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:15 pm

My dad's an accountant and he does very well for himself, it can lead to a wider range of jobs then you'd think... You can get a job in every field for example which has some variation on what you do, for example my Dad has worked for the NHS, various Charities, a newspaper, a water company and even a local sweet shop. My uncle has an accountant qulafication and now runs a board games consultancy business. :lol:

I wouldn't knock it, its a solid career which the need for isn't diminished by recisions :).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liufeng » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Well, I'm doing Philosophy, with everyone (including my brother) asking the same question : What are you going to do with that ? Ironically, it was my mother who told me to do that, because she knew I like that. Maybe there's not much future, but at least I'm happy.
dw8 Wish
Cheng Pu/Xu Sheng/Zhuge Ke/Lu Kang
Liao Hua/Fa Zheng/Zhang Yi/Wang Ping
Cao Hong/Bian Shi/Man Chong/Cao Rui
Zhang Chunhua/Chen Tai/Wen Yang/Jia Chong/Sima Yan/Yang Hu/Du Yu
Gongsun Zan/Yuan Shu/Cai Shi/Gongsun Yuan
Liufeng
Student

Unread postby Catalyst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Do what you love, Liufeng, and don't let anyone turn you away from it. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

As for me, I'm currently plunging into the wonders of elementary real analysis for my math major, Latin as my language, American Conversations (a sort of history/literature study that runs for 4 semesters and is fun/easy), and Intro to Political Theory, which is severely tempting me towards starting up a political science major along with my math major.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'd like to ask you all a question: What's the maximum number of classes do you believe yourself capable of taking on in any given quarter? I'm going to be upping my course load in the near future, but I don't want to end up collapsing in a great big ball of academic fire, muttering "It was just thirty credits, they said" while I serve you guys your burgers.

I'm only doing two right now, because I knew one of them was going to end up kicking my ass from day one, but I've taken a max of four.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 am

I took 30 credits (5 courses) per semester when I did my undergrad, and for some reason I had all this time to run extracurricular clubs, volunteer outside of school, take music lessons, and play like 6 hours of Civ2 a day. And somehow stayed on the Dean's List every year. But going back to school over a decade later, I'm now struggling with 3~4 classes per semester. Maybe because I'm old now. Dunno.

Quarters might be a bit different since they are more condensed.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 am

Our system is different to ours. We have to do 120 credits a term which is split into two semesters. So I have to do 60 credits and at the moment that means I'm doing 5 modules. Which comes to 11 hours of lectures a week plus reading (yeah right :lol: ).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:02 am

Ours were roughly 1 credit = 1 instruction hour/week (labs, tutorials, etc. are extra). Actually I made a mistake---it's 15 credits a term not 30 (you need 120 to graduate), so that's 15 hours of lecture/week plus labs and stuff.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Tarrot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:51 pm

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'd like to ask you all a question: What's the maximum number of classes do you believe yourself capable of taking on in any given quarter? I'm going to be upping my course load in the near future, but I don't want to end up collapsing in a great big ball of academic fire, muttering "It was just thirty credits, they said" while I serve you guys your burgers.

I'm only doing two right now, because I knew one of them was going to end up kicking my ass from day one, but I've taken a max of four.

Through college I averaged over 20 hours of class per week, plus a job. I'm currently managing 10 hours of class a week + a job that takes up 8 hours a day. If I didn't have to work, I could probably handle 7-8 3 - 5 hour a week courses, as long as I could space out my papers so I don't have 4 due in a 2 day period. --
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Da Chao » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm only taking 3 classes this semester: Math, English, and Sociology. The only reason I can get away with doing that little is because I go to a community college, and if I saw fit, I'd only have to take one class. But I'd never finish.

I couldn't even take Psychology, my major, because by the time I was allowed to regester, all the classes were taken. I feel unproductive. :(
“However, you may return and tell Sun Quan to wash his neck: the executioner is coming!”
[且放汝回去,說與孫權,洗頸就戮!]
Da Chao
Initiate

Unread postby ROTK-addict » Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 am

Biomedical Science but that still can't top my love for ancient Chinese studies :D
Cao Cao on Zhao Yun:我爱死!!
ROTK-addict
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy