What courses are you taking?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:49 pm

My Fall 2004 schedule:

Advanced Physiology lecture, lab, and discussion
Microbiology lecture and lab
Professional Communications
Fitness :pika:

I would have opted for another elective, but could not due to scheduling conflicts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:44 am

Oooh, ooh, my upcoming fall 2004 and winter 2005 schedule (they are all required by the faculty of law):

Legal Process (half-year class)
-an introduction to the common law legal system

Property (full-year)
-tenures, estates, landlord and tenant, leases, mortgages, etc.

Contracts (full-year)
-formation of contracts, breaches, third parties, fraud, remedies, etc.

Administrative Law (half-year)
-everything you ever wanted to know about the bureaucracy/civil service, and when things go wrong...

Criminal Law and Procedure (full-year)
-elements of crime, culpability, law as a method of social control

Legal Writing and Research (full-year)
-how to write so that no one else understands what you just wrote; also includes a mock court

Constitutional Law (full-year)
-everything you ever wanted to know about documents shielded by a layer of bulletproof glass
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Emily » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:03 am

I've added Renaissance and Reformation, a history course, to my schedule for next fall. I'll be taking sixteen hours:

My Fall 2004 Schedule:

1.) Sexuality and Literature
2.) African-American Lit: Rap Lyrics and Poetry
3.) Renaissance and Reformation
4.) American Indians (history)
5.) Intermediate Spanish I (Ok, perhaps this one isn't as interesting as the others...)[/quote]

I'm so excited!
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:25 am

My MA programme is one year of courses and research theory, etc. and then one year of thesis writing. I'm putting off a couple courses until my second year, though, because I'll be able to write my thesis more effectively if I have something to revolve my schedule around. So here are the MA courses I am taking this year:

First Term (Sept.-Dec. 2004)

Space, Place, and Identity in Post-Colonial Fiction

Texts: Nadine Gordimer - July's People; David Malouf - Remembering Babylon; Ruby Wiebe - The Discovery of Strangers; Jean Rhys - Wide Sargasso Sea; Bharati Mukherjee - Jasmine; Zadie Smith - White Teeth; Catherine Bush - The Rules of Engagement; Janet Frame - The Carpathians; Chinua Achebe - Anthills of the Savannah; J.M. Coetzee - Waiting for the Barbarians.

Rogues and Pilgrims

Texts: John Bunyan - The Pilgrim's Progress; Daniel Defoe - Moll Flanders; Henry Fielding - Tom Jones; Sarah Fielding - The Adventures of David Simple; Samuel Johnson - Rasselas; William Thackeray - Vanity Fair; Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre.

Second Term (Jan.-May 2005)

Introduction to Humanities Computing

Texts: Elliote Harold - XML Bible; Cynthia Haynes and Jan Holmevik - High Wired; Susan Hockey - Electronic Texts in the Humanities; The XML Version of the TEI Guidelines.

Old English

Texts: Bruce Mitchell and Fred Robinson - A Guide to Old English; Howell Chickering - Beowulf: A Dual-Language Edition.

Shakespeare and the Mediterranean

Texts: The Comedy of Errors, Titus Andronicus, Othello, The Merchant of Venice, Timon of Athens, All's Well That Ends Well, Troilus and Cressida, Antony and Cleopatra, Pericles, The Winter's Tale, The Tempest.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby DruidWu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:51 am

I just started Certificate 3 in IT classes involve:

PC Operations
Networking
Software Applications
Mainly hangs around <a href="http://druidwu.deviantart.com">DruidWu - Deviantart</a>
DruidWu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:54 am

10 credits of Independent Study... Mwahahahahaha. :twisted:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:30 pm

Fall 2004:

I'm getting my MA in Philosophy right now, so these are all Philosophy classes unless otherwise noted.

Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari. Introduction to Schizoanalysis: Captialism and Schizophrenia

Pre-Socratic Philosophy. From Thales to Socrates' contemporaries, with a few lesser-known philosophers outside the Platonic/Aristotelian tradition.

Independent Study: Jacques Derrida. I'm taking this one with one of Derrida's former students, a pretty famous philosopher from France, Francois Raffoul.

Introduction to French. Meh. This is my obligatory foreign language.

Plus, I'm finishing off two course I took "Incompletes" in: Logic and Philosophy of Language as well as an independent study in Postcolonial Theory
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:49 pm

lessthanpleased wrote:Plus, I'm finishing off two course I took "Incompletes" in: Logic and Philosophy of Language ...

Eep! Is that the awful stuff about the meaning of names if "Cicero is Tully" and "Hesperos is Phosphorus", or about possible worlds, or just doing inferences with predicate logic?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:16 am

Lady Wu wrote:Eep! Is that the awful stuff about the meaning of names if "Cicero is Tully" and "Hesperos is Phosphorus", or about possible worlds, or just doing inferences with predicate logic?

Yes to all of those.

It's basically introduction to symbolic logic and first order languages. I do mostly continental philosophy where logic is of secondary importance, so it's really just a pain.

I've got to teach myself about logic in my spare time using a computer program. I'm supposed to think about it as a video game, but Guan Yu doesn't pop up on the program and take over Wittgenstein's world, so it's kind of a lame video game truth be told.

lessthanpleased=lessthanpleased
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:18 am

lessthanpleased wrote:It's basically introduction to symbolic logic and first order languages. I do mostly continental philosophy where logic is of secondary importance, so it's really just a pain.

I see. Intro to symbolic logic, 1st order languages, etc, doesn't sound too horrific (I just TA-ed such a class last quarter). I remember that one year when my roommate sat in on Philosophy of Language (she was a semanticist, so she had no excuse. Me, being a syntactician mostly, got away with not going, heh). We bought a six-pack of parsley plants for our kitchen garden, and since they were identical, we named them Hes (for Hesperos), Phos (for Phosphorus), Cicero, Tully, Superman, and Clark Kent ("Superman is Clark Kent" is also a popular example sentence in the literature on referentiality).

IIRC Hes and Clark Kent were the last to die.

And yes, we have no life.
Lady Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy